Shake Up in the Cabinet

Lewdog

It appears that according this newest Yahoo article, that three of Obama's cabinet members are leaving, including Hillary. Is this just time for them to go in a different direction, or are rats jumping ship to save their political future? Hillary announced she wouldn't be returning before the election. I think that might be her taking time off to recharge her batteries and try to become the first woman President. The other two I don't know. At their age I would think being part of the cabinet of the President of the United States would be hard to pass up. It's not like they can find much of a promotion. Holder may have realized he was in above his head, and might be ruining his career. Carney I can't really put a finger on, maybe he just feels upstaged by Obama's own speeches and sees how bad it makes him look, I'm only speculating. Being the White House Press Secretary puts his face in the forefront, I'm not sure why he would want to walk away from that. Look at what being the White House Press Secretary did for George Stephanopoulos' career. Well here is the article.[b] [/b]The most surprising[b] [/b]part of the article is that there are some Republicans on the short list of candidates. Opinions?

[b] [/b]

[quote]

[b] Obama’s Cabinet: Goodbye Clinton, Geithner, Carney as new names top lists[/b]

[img]http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/TjU25.PJENH3CwnnJsz82w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTQwO3E9ODU7dz00MA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/152/2012/02/16/olivier-40x40-jpg_002342.jpg[/img]By [url="http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/author/olivier-knox/"]Olivier Knox, Yahoo! News[/url] | [url="http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/"]The Ticket[/url] – 19 hrs ago

Come January, the Obama administration will begin again, and a number of people whose names and faces have grown familiar the past four years will leave the public realm for other livelihoods.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and press secretary Jay Carney are preparing for departure. Many also expect Attorney General Eric Holder to be considering an exit.
[b]Foreign Policy[/b]
Clinton's position is perhaps most visible. Her management of the department and leadership of America's global diplomacy have won praise from Republicans and Democrats, and the former New York senator and first lady is thought by many to be the most popular member of Obama's Cabinet.
Foreign policy experts see her departure as leaving a gap, because significant problems remain: Iran's suspected ambitions to develop nuclear weapons; violent civil war in Syria; continued fallout from the "Arab spring"; and continuing conflicts in Afghanistan and Pakistan among them. New challenges include China's slowing economy, coupled with its increasing aggressive response to territorial disputes.
So whose names are being talked about to take over State?
Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., who leads the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, has emerged as a favorite. Kerry's major strength is deep and longstanding experience on most vital foreign policy issues; he would also likely win easy confirmation by colleagues. But unlike his predecessor, Kerry may struggle to be welcomed into Obama's inner circle.
Kerry's most-cited rival is Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice, who, unlike Kerry, already has "inner circle" credentials. She has worked daily for years alongside diplomats from America's allies and foes. However, her controversial role in explaining the Sept. 11 Benghazi attack to the public could prompt a difficult confirmation process. Some Republican aides are already saying privately she shouldn't get the job.
It's also possible a Republican might come forward. Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman worked for Obama as ambassador to China before returning to make a failed bid for the presidency. One senior Republican foreign-policy hand describes his work in Beijing as "superb, top-rate."
There's always a chance of promotion from within, such as Deputy Secretary of State William Burns. But what about an outsider? Brookings Institution President Strobe Talbott held Burns' job under President Bill Clinton.
Another possibility: Nick Burns, who managed policy on Iran's nuclear ambitions under President George W. Bush. Burns publicly praised Obama's handling of the issue.
It's not known yet whether Defense Secretary Leon Panetta plans to leave. But if he does, two front-runners are being mentioned for the job: His deputy, Ashton Carter, and Michele Flournoy, a former undersecretary at the Pentagon. Another possibility, though somewhat unlikely, might be retired independent Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut.
Speculation in Washington also suggested Director of National Intelligence James Clapper might be seeking an exit. He hasn't said he will leave, but if he does, Flournoy is a possible replacement. CIA Director David Petraeus was also mentioned, but news on Friday of his resignation of his position due to an extramarital affair will likely take him off the list. Petraeus, in turn, will be replaced by acting director Michael Morell.
[b]Domestic Affairs[/b]
With the economy still lackadaisical, and in light of Obama's campaign promises to hasten a more tangible recovery, picking a replacement for outgoing Treasury Secretary Geithner will be crucial.
So far those mentioned as potential successors include two Clinton administration veterans: Clinton chief of staff Erskine Bowles and current White House chief of staff Jack Lew. In the coming weeks, Lew will face a big test in talks with Republicans centered on the "fiscal cliff." Bowles' credentials, though, would send a message that debt reduction is a priority.
What about a Republican? Robert Zoellick has served as World Bank president, U.S. trade representative and deputy secretary of state. When he was appointed adviser to GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, the amount of backlash from hard-line conservatives reminded everyone that he might have had a bit more luck joining the other team.
Undersecretary of the Treasury for International Affairs Lael Brainard isn't at the top of many lists, but some insiders say she would have a lot of heads nodding their approval on Capitol Hill and overseas.
Finally, a long-shot—but not out of the question: New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
With so many large-scale compromises to be reached on both foreign and domestic fronts, it remains to be seen how many Cabinet appointments may serve as gestures from the Obama administration to Republican opposition that still holds power in the House.[/quote]

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-cabinet-look-195117634.html"]http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-cabinet-look-195117634.html[/url]

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1352563114' post='1179169']
Beyond happy that Geithner is leaving.
[/quote]

You don't think it is weird that Carney and Geithner just all of a sudden decided to jump ship? Do you think Holder will resign as well? In all honesty I think recent events has shown that he works with uncertainty.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352563524' post='1179171']
You don't think it is weird that Carney and Geithner just all of a sudden decided to jump ship? Do you think Holder will resign as well? In all honest I think recent events has shown that he works with uncertainty.
[/quote]

Geithner announced a while ago that he wasnt coming back.

I'd love Holder gone too.

Then maybe we can get a TS that believes he is a regulator, and a AG that will enforce the laws.

I'm sorry but Holder has looked like a bumbling idiot. There I said it, no going back now. If only Obama would resign, things would right in the world. Nevermind, Biden would become President and I'd have to see his goofy ass grin all over the television. Honestly, doesn't he look like a used car salesman that just put the screws to you when you see him smile?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1352565659' post='1179178']
I'm sorry but Holder has looked like a bumbling idiot. There I said it, no going back now. If only Obama would resign, things would right in the world. Nevermind, Biden would become President and I'd have to see his goofy ass grin all over the television. [color=#ff0000] Honestly, doesn't he look like a used car salesman that just put the screws to you when you see him smile?[/color]
[/quote]

That is SOOOOO how how I thought Romney looked

I just noticed George Mitchell is Obama's Middle East Czar. Do you think he will take Hillary's place? Mitchell is 79 though, so I don't know. Might as well bring back Kissinger at 89 years old! LOL I also just noticed Van Jones is the Green Jobs Czar. What a joke! Green jobs was perhaps one of Obama's biggest flubs during his first term in office. The more I read about him, the more I start to see a snake in the grass. You heard it here first, I guarantee before the next 4 years are over, you will here about some corruption involving Van Jones. He just seems to turn up in certain places at certain times, and keeps coming out unscathed and smelling like roses.

Jaime I just looked up one Czar on the internet and there isn't jack shit about him. He doesn't have a Wikipedia page or anything. It's pretty odd.

[b]Cameron Davis[/b]- Great Lakes Czar. I was curious to see if he even lived near the Great Lakes. I can't find more than a paragraph about the guy.

[quote]• Served with the United Nations Environment Program in Nairobi, Kenya, where he worked on the Montreal Protocol to protect the Earth’s ozone layer, and U.S. EPA’s Office of Regional Counsel in Chicago.[/quote]

Go figure he worked in Kenya. :facepalm:

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1352569941' post='1179192']
Van Jones isnt in that position anymore, hasnt been for a while.
[/quote]

[s]What's his new position? A promotion?[/s] I forgot he was the "radical activist" that resigned. I still think he's shady. Any man that can't stick with one organization and continues to create new ones, sounds like someone who is putting his hand in the cookie jar.

So you realize like 60-75% of the Czars are white? Man I wish I had studied more before the election, there is so much I didn't realize. You guys are lucky.

Archived