[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1353359931' post='1182541']
yea I'm not sure you want a WR corp with a 5'7" and a 5'9" WR on it.

Also, he'll go far higher than the Bengals will take a WR, if they take one at all. Austin won't make it to the middle of the 2nd round.
[/quote]
Interesting thought 1181. I've been leaning more and more toward a WR in 1 for the following reasons, and I'd be interested to hear thoughts.

What are our major needs?
RB, LB, S, WR (I like Sanu, Hawk, and Jones, but let's assume Binns and Tate aren't around - and we don't see the bump in progress that we want going forward)

Secondary needs?
T (for depth), LB (another one), DE, C (I still think we should use a #1 pick here but I don't see it happening so I'm being realistic).

Now looking at the draft, it seems pretty clear that RB's have been discounted lately, AND there's no longer a Marcus Lattimore in this draft - so you may not even have a RB go in Round 1.

At LB, we're going to miss Te'o if we keep winning, and I think we will. Are there other LB's in the draft worth a 20-something pick?

At S, from what I can see so far, it looks like there's a plethora of second round talent, but no elite first round guys.

And then WR. It seems pretty clear that there are a good 3-4 guys who will be available where we want to pick, and provide good value at a key round-1 draft able position.

Now for the secondary needs, Tackle would of course become an immediate 1st priority if we lose Andre. I don't think we will. Even if we didn't, this would be my second choice for round 1, because I think we'd have a shot at a blue-chip tackle and protecting Andy for the future just makes sense. However, if we have Andre, I just don't see us doing this (and I'd argue that it's maybe still the best choice).

LB was already discussed, but DE becomes the next intriguing idea. If some freak falls to us, we've got to take him, because right now I think our DL is one stud DE short of having a truly lethal pass rush. Of course, an OLB/DE hybrid the likes of Von Miller would be ideal, and could really hit two birds with one stone, but those guys don't grow on trees.

And then Center. As I mention above, I don't see us ever doing it, especially with the emergence of Robinson and his future growth potential. However, a dominant Center is THE KEY to this team having a bruising ground game, and if you have a shot for the final piece in the line puzzle for the next 10 years, I think you should take it.

So where are we going to get the best bang for our buck in round 1?

Given that there's no Adrian Peterson in this draft, and we'll miss the LB who is worth a first round pick, and there are no safeties worth a first, I'm beginning to think WR might just be the way to go, all other things considered.

Of course, we could always just draft BPA :)

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1353433255' post='1182781']
Interesting thought 1181. I've been leaning more and more toward a WR in 1 for the following reasons, and I'd be interested to hear thoughts.

What are our major needs?
RB, LB, S, WR (I like Sanu, Hawk, and Jones, but let's assume Binns and Tate aren't around - and we don't see the bump in progress that we want going forward)

Secondary needs?
T (for depth), LB (another one), DE, C (I still think we should use a #1 pick here but I don't see it happening so I'm being realistic).

Now looking at the draft, it seems pretty clear that RB's have been discounted lately, AND there's no longer a Marcus Lattimore in this draft - so you may not even have a RB go in Round 1.

At LB, we're going to miss Te'o if we keep winning, and I think we will. Are there other LB's in the draft worth a 20-something pick?

At S, from what I can see so far, it looks like there's a plethora of second round talent, but no elite first round guys.

And then WR. It seems pretty clear that there are a good 3-4 guys who will be available where we want to pick, and provide good value at a key round-1 draft able position.

Now for the secondary needs, Tackle would of course become an immediate 1st priority if we lose Andre. I don't think we will. Even if we didn't, this would be my second choice for round 1, because I think we'd have a shot at a blue-chip tackle and protecting Andy for the future just makes sense. However, if we have Andre, I just don't see us doing this (and I'd argue that it's maybe still the best choice).

LB was already discussed, but DE becomes the next intriguing idea. If some freak falls to us, we've got to take him, because right now I think our DL is one stud DE short of having a truly lethal pass rush. Of course, an OLB/DE hybrid the likes of Von Miller would be ideal, and could really hit two birds with one stone, but those guys don't grow on trees.

And then Center. As I mention above, I don't see us ever doing it, especially with the emergence of Robinson and his future growth potential. However, a dominant Center is THE KEY to this team having a bruising ground game, and if you have a shot for the final piece in the line puzzle for the next 10 years, I think you should take it.

So where are we going to get the best bang for our buck in round 1?

Given that there's no Adrian Peterson in this draft, and we'll miss the LB who is worth a first round pick, and there are no safeties worth a first, I'm beginning to think WR might just be the way to go, all other things considered.

Of course, we could always just draft BPA :)
[/quote]

I don't see WR as a primary need, but I guess that's my faith in Sanu, Jones (along with Hawkins), and Charles at TE emerging as capable targets. I don't think you'll see a WR until at least the 4th unless a steal drops in their lap.

The keys to me are finding a RB (either a complete back or a complement to BJGE) and replenishing the defense, particularly at LB and more youth in the secondary.

Now obviously that's all depending on them extending Smith and MJ and shoring up those positions.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1353454989' post='1182894']
He's a Percy Harvin type receiver, perfect to go with AJ. WVU lined him up at RB in their last game and he rushed for over 300 yards.... He's just a playmaker, period. IMO you don't turn those down because of an Andrew Hawkins, and I really like Hawk.
[/quote]

Do you take him over say fixing the safety spot though?

You'll have to use a high 2nd on him, and he might not even still be around then.

Well, we WILL have a high second (thanks Carson). It's really a question of balancing out those first three picks (and matching those to the talent/need), all of which should get us solid players (I've always been a fan of the second round more than the first, though we seem to have a real issue with that particular round).

FWIW, I also am thinking that Emmanuel Lamur might emerge as a solid WLB option for us going forward. If we resign Howard at a good price, I'd be focusing on a decent SLB. Types like Koa Misi have gone in the third round (I was liking him in the second).

Oh yeah, and... Can Aaron Curry play SLB

:ninja:

He doesn't necessarily have to be just a WR. He could be a change of pace RB also. The Harvin comparison is pretty spot on and he gets a decent amount of carries as well.

Not my first choice. I'd prefer to just grab a true RB like Gio Bernard. But this offense could still use another playmaker and I'm confident Gruden could find a way to use Austin and create mismatches. The kid is so hard to tackle.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1353913975' post='1185048']
He doesn't necessarily have to be just a WR. He could be a change of pace RB also. [b]The Harvin comparison is pretty spot on and he gets a decent amount of carries as well.[/b]

Not my first choice. I'd prefer to just grab a true RB like Gio Bernard. But this offense could still use another playmaker and I'm confident Gruden could find a way to use Austin and create mismatches. The kid is so hard to tackle.
[/quote]

was watching a vid of Eric Reid against West Virginia yesterday and herbstreit made that exact comparison.

If Peerman continues to come on at RB (eliminating the need to draft one high), I could definitely warm to this idea.

• 2 months later...

Bump.

Austin’s 40 time confirms the quote of the Combine

Posted by Mike Florio on February 24, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
austin.jpg?w=210AP

The news that West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin ran an unofficial 4.25-second 40 (which officially was adjusted to 4.34 seconds) was eye-opening but not surprising.

The numbers, which strip away the potential illusions created by game film generated against inferior talent, confirm the best quote we heard from an NFL G.M. while attending the Scouting Combine.

“He runs like he has a rocket in his ass,” said the G.M. on Thursday.  (He didn’t request anonymity, but we’ll assume he didn’t want to have his name attached to the remark.)

Apart from the fact that it conjures one hell of an image, there’s a new nickname for Austin floating around in there, somewhere.

Green and Sanu outside, Austin in slot and Gresham at TE.  Make it happen!

I'm sure a lot of people would disagree, but I'd take him at 21.

I wasn't completely sold on Austin as a first round pick until I saw him running routes and catching balls in drills today, he was head and shoulders better than every other receiver out there. He's actually got the skills to come in and be a legit number 2 right off the bat IMO. When you add up the speed, the skills and the versatility....I think he's absolutely worth taking at 21.

Archived