Tablet Recommendations

Was wondering if anyone has recommendations or experiences with tablets on the more inexpensive side.

I already own an Ipad, but am looking for an affordable "supplement tablet". The kids are getting older, and between the 4 of us it will be nice to have more than one.

It's not a necessity at the moment, but will likely be a need sooner rather than later.

I'd like to score one under $100 (either retail or on used on ebay), so I know that puts a limit on quality to an extent.

If you have any experience (good or bad) with lesser known brands, please share!

same issue, with some deals and selling some old video game stuff to supliment price, im getting my kids each an ipad mini, it sounds ridiculous, but they use my wifes ipad and argue over it daily, so it will be well worth it, they can do school stuff on it, watch netflix, etc...

above your price range i know, elflockos recomendation is more on target, i thought i was crazy watning to get my kids a tablet of their own, glad to see im not alone...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1353641881' post='1183434']
Kindle Fire is really hard to beat. It's about $50 more than your specified limit but I think the extra money is worth it...
[/quote]

where have you seen a kindle fire for $!50? I'd maybe up my limit for that, but even the used ones I've seen are at least $150 typically.

Also, I take it the app store will only work with apple products, correct? In other words, if I buy a non-apple product any apps I have bought I would have to re-buy on the new tablet.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1353675071' post='1183460']

where have you seen a kindle fire for $!50? I'd maybe up my limit for that, but even the used ones I've seen are at least $150 typically.

Also, I take it the app store will only work with apple products, correct? In other words, if I buy a non-apple product any apps I have bought I would have to re-buy on the new tablet.
[/quote]

It's the one that includes ads but who cares, they're kids:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0083Q04IQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1353681061&sr=8-3&pi=SL75

And you are correct that apps made for iPad won't work on another brand.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1353681925' post='1183480']
It's the one that includes ads but who cares, they're kids:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0083Q04IQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1353681061&sr=8-3&pi=SL75"]http://www.amazon.co...&sr=8-3&pi=SL75[/url]

And you are correct that apps made for iPad won't work on another brand.
[/quote]

what do you mean by "includes ads"?

For X-mas, I want to get my GF something that she could read books on and watch movies if she wanted too. Would the Kindle Fire be a good choice? The 32 GB is selling for fairly cheap on Amazon right now.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1353716423' post='1183597']
For X-mas, I want to get my GF something that she could read books on and watch movies if she wanted too. Would the Kindle Fire be a good choice? The 32 GB is selling for fairly cheap on Amazon right now.
[/quote]

Kinda perfect for that actually.

Amazon = books and movies.

Plus, you get free Amazon cloud storage for any of the content you buy there and you get access to a bunch of free (albeit older) content...

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1353791137' post='1183707']
I'll debate the pricing elsewhere, but why is the Lightning connector a joke?
[/quote]

How isn't it a joke.. Bad enough they insist on using a proprietary power cable instead of USB, but then they change it so it's not backwards-compatible & you have to buy all new accessories as well, and only from Apple. Their whole "planned obsolescence" business model is shady as hell.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1353795712' post='1183715']
How isn't it a joke.. Bad enough they insist on using a proprietary power cable instead of USB, but then they change it so it's not backwards-compatible & you have to buy all new accessories as well, and only from Apple. Their whole "planned obsolescence" business model is shady as hell.
[/quote]

its really not that big of a deal, and not exclusive to Apple. Why do you think pretty much every cell phone has its own unique charger type?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1353795869' post='1183716']
its really not that big of a deal, and not exclusive to Apple. Why do you think pretty much every cell phone has its own unique charger type?
[/quote]

Huh? Just about everyone is using micro USB at this point.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1353795712' post='1183715']
[/quote]

Lightning cables are about two things. First, it's about reducing the size of the equipment inside the idevice. Second, it's about power transfer. Combined, you make as much room inside the device as possible for bigger batteries, and then you use a cable that can use the highest power transfer to charge that battery. Anyone with an iPad 3 will tell you it takes a long time to charge that honker of a battery. Making the switch to Lightning connectors decreases charge times lower than 30 pin or micro USB could achieve.

This isn't a scam about repurchasing accessories. It's about the real increases in mobile power requirements.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1353796358' post='1183718']
I've seen at least 3 different sizes of micro USB though.
[/quote]

Yeah there are, but most of the major brands agreed to use the micro-b standard a couple of years ago. Even if the port is different though, USB is an industry standard, so I can buy stuff from all sorts of different companies and not just the manufacturer.

You're kind of missing the point though, which is that Apple changed what they were using for the sole purpose of making you buy more shit, and making sure it had to be from them.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1353797166' post='1183723']
Yeah there are, but most of the major brands agreed to use the micro-b standard a couple of years ago. Even if the port is different though, USB is an industry standard, so I can buy stuff from all sorts of different companies and not just the manufacturer.

You're kind of missing the point though, which is that Apple changed what they were using for the sole purpose of making you buy more shit, and making sure it had to be from them.
[/quote]

so in other words, they made a brilliant business decision?

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1353797166' post='1183723']

[/quote]

why would you need to buy more shit?

my job is based on defective cell phones, do you have ANY idea how many bloated pregnant batteries, mashed up charging ports, chargers broken into the port, and other 3rd party shit charger issues i see on a monthly basis? in my market, probably 500 a month.

the apple conspiracy haters are 20x as bad as the apple hipsters.

wanna bitch about apple making money? the iphone 16gb cost parts and lbaor is $208, wireless carriers pay $650 for it... over 300% markup...no other manufacturer is even close to that markup..

but every thing you buy, comes with the adapter, which is a usB cable, so you can plug it into any usb port, which most cars have.

and they have allowed 3rd party companies to make it. wanna know what the holdup was? quality control, the belkins of the world has to made as high of a quality one as apple produces before they could sell it, so it wasnt 3rd party garbage ruining iphone/ipad, etc..

how many chargers do you need? one comes with it.. and if you get an ipad too, then you have 2 that work for both, ipod? 3, how many do you need exactly?

samsung makes phones with shit battery life and sells an extended battery for $69.99,,,

everyone is out to make money.. no one is forcing you to buy connectors or adapters, you wanting to use your chargers for 5 years each or having 10 of them at your disposal is bizzare.

that and the fact you are complaining about at most, a $19 adapter, is just fucking weird...

non one forces anyone to buy anything..

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1353800008' post='1183743']
that and the fact you are complaining about at most, a $19 adapter, is just fucking weird...
[/quote]

I feel the same way about the lemming-like loyalty to the Apple logo. It's a fucking brand. Feels like I'm arguing with Scientologists. I like Acer hardware but I'm not going to try and convince you it keeps werewolves away and gives you the strength of 1,000 men.

[quote]no one forces anyone to buy anything..[/quote]

True enough. If you really think iEverything is the way to go, knock yourself out. All I can say is look at a good independent review site like Tom's Hardware (or whoever), check the benchmarks for whatever features are important to you & then compare the prices.

I really dgaf what phone or tablet you buy. God forbid anyone suggest Apple doesn't make the best everything always forever.

Archived