Tablet Recommendations

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1353802408' post='1183754']
True enough. If you really think iEverything is the way to go, knock yourself out. All I can say is look at a good independent review site like Tom's Hardware (or whoever), check the benchmarks for whatever features are important to you & then compare the prices.

I really dgaf what phone or tablet you buy. God forbid anyone suggest Apple doesn't make the best everything always forever.
[/quote]
thats not what you suggested, you went on a ridiculous rant about a charging adapter...a...charging adapter.....

you do see... that someone mention that thy felt, you cant really go wrong with an ipad... and you... YOU, are the one who went batshit crazy over anything BUT the topic at hand, and went batshit crazy over a charging port and adapter.

there are big advantages and disadvantages to all products, and all of them cost about the same. GS3 iphone 5 both are $200. ipad and and comparable tablets are all $400-600.

if you think the iphone or ipad best fits your needs, or perhaps use mac computers, there are MANY benefits of sticking with ios devices. with the shared data, media, etc..

same as if you love android for whatever benefits you like there, having android tablets and things make sense, too..

its all preference. there are just as many android junkies as there are apple fanbois. if not more.

its all preference, which is what this thread was about, people sharing preferences for different tablets...

it WASNT about some crybaby speech about a charging port. ffs

my company would save probably 10= million a month if all cell phones are a reversible charger so people werent shoving chargers in their phones upside down smashing ports. and probably another 5 million in exchanges for "slowness" or "freezing" because of android apps that have no business being used on whatever android version they are using because it wasnt made for it, but can still be downloaded..

and i wont even start on the 100,000:1 ratio of spyware in the android market for the app store.

you have choices as a consumer. however most consumers are idiots. you are not, you likely know how to manage and use an android properly.. most consumers dont..

today, i had a tech escalate a customer to me who was angry that they keep going to a repair location, they reset their phone, tell him it was apps freezing his device, it works great for a week or so, but once he gets all the apps back on, it starts freezing again...

ios protects you from your own stupid. and is made with pretty darn good hardware. most consumers are too stupid to know why their iphone works better than the $29 android they bought... so they just say iphones are amazing and android sucks. but for them, its true.. and having used a few androids, ios is just a no hassle phone and tablet, and all 62GB of my music streams to all of them whenever and whereever i want.. automatically... its nice, it works, and its reliable...its best for ME. i would pay another 25% markup to maintain that simplicity..

any techy's have any feedback on this product? It's got pretty good reviews, and I've also seen some good reviews on youtube. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger though because of the low battery life (people as saying 1.5-2.5 hours). That wouldn't be ideal, though I can work it where much of its use would be while its plugged into the charger.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Double-Power-T-711-with-WiFi-7-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.0-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Operating-System/21281964

Why would I want a product designed for idiots if I'm not an idiot? It's insulting. It's not about the "charger", which isn't just a charger but actually an interface for a huge range of devices. Like a USB LED beer fridge. Do they sell one of those in the Apple store? Doesn't seem like that kind of party in there.

Anyway, the question was about tablets. I've got a Nexus 7 (which uses the same microUSB as my Samsung phone) and does host USB. Not sure if the iStuff does that? The N7 doesn't perform quite as well as the newest iPads in most categories, but it's close The newest iPads cost twice as much, though, and then some. Plus, again, then I'm pretty well stuck with Apple devices and an iEverything that costs twice as much for something that will be made obsolete in a year if I'm lucky. The 16gb Nexus 7 is $200. Two hundred bucks! That wouldn't even cover bottle service at the Apple store.

If I sold you what was supposed to be a top-of-the-line car, with a price to match, and then told you if you got a flat you'd need a special tire iron that you could only buy from the dealership.. Would I be making "a brilliant business decision" or would you kick me in the balls and take your money elsewhere? I hope it's the latter but if not I have a car for you.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1353885353' post='1184806']
Why would I want a product designed for idiots if I'm not an idiot? It's insulting. It's not about the "charger", which isn't just a charger but actually an interface for a huge range of devices. Like a USB LED beer fridge. Do they sell one of those in the Apple store? Doesn't seem like that kind of party in there.

Anyway, the question was about tablets. I've got a Nexus 7 (which uses the same microUSB as my Samsung phone) and does host USB. Not sure if the iStuff does that? The N7 doesn't perform quite as well as the newest iPads in most categories, but it's close The newest iPads cost twice as much, though, and then some. Plus, again, then I'm pretty well stuck with Apple devices and an iEverything that costs twice as much for something that will be made obsolete in a year if I'm lucky. The 16gb Nexus 7 is $200. Two hundred bucks! That wouldn't even cover bottle service at the Apple store.

If I sold you what was supposed to be a top-of-the-line car, with a price to match, and then told you if you got a flat you'd need a special tire iron that you could only buy from the dealership.. Would I be making "a brilliant business decision" or would you kick me in the balls and take your money elsewhere? I hope it's the latter but if not I have a car for you.
[/quote]

Two quick thoughts:

1. Good design is clean, simple, and intuitive. It's not 'designed for idiots.'
2. Comparable products don't cost twice as much, and Apple has never been accused of quick obsolescence. Please don't say absurd things like "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]an iEverything that costs twice as much for something that will be made obsolete in a year if I'm lucky."[/font][/color]

The Nexus 7 is a fine tablet, with many desirable features. Sell those. Don't lie about a product you don't like.

1181 for the price the Kindle Fire will be your best bet. I too work in the wireless industry and agree with most everything GO stated. In my line of work I know that when I sell iAnything im not going to have to deal with a customer service boomerang. 1181 with you giving it to a child I would recommend staying away from Android. While there are many free applications and games in the Google Play store, its likely said child will not read the comments or take the time to read the app descriptions to ensure it was developed for / is working properly for your device. Android is a great platform for customization and offers a large variety of brands and styles, but its greatest asset (open source) is also its worst enemy (average consumer)

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1354029509' post='1185495']
1181 for the price the Kindle Fire will be your best bet. I too work in the wireless industry and agree with most everything GO stated. In my line of work I know that when I sell iAnything im not going to have to deal with a customer service boomerang. 1181 with you giving it to a child I would recommend staying away from Android. While there are many free applications and games in the Google Play store, its likely said child will not read the comments or take the time to read the app descriptions to ensure it was developed for / is working properly for your device. Android is a great platform for customization and offers a large variety of brands and styles, but its greatest asset (open source) is also its worst enemy (average consumer)
[/quote]

thanks. I think I've decided to hold off a little while longer unless I find a sweet deal. Money is tight and its not a huge need yet.

The kids will use it at times, but likely will mostly be me with the others using the ipad.

I've been advised that for what I want (Netflix, good internet, acceptable app games) that the Nexus 7 is a better route to go than the Kindle Fire. A little more pricey, but from a source I trust with regards to tablets.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1354032875' post='1185552']
thanks. I think I've decided to hold off a little while longer unless I find a sweet deal. Money is tight and its not a huge need yet.

The kids will use it at times, but likely will mostly be me with the others using the ipad.

I've been advised that for what I want (Netflix, good internet, acceptable app games) that the Nexus 7 is a better route to go than the Kindle Fire. A little more pricey, but from a source I trust with regards to tablets.
[/quote]

Nexus 7 is a great option if you can afford the extra cost. In my opinion the best 7" tablet. At $159 vs $199 it's a no brainer for the nexus 7, but the $129 sale put the kindle slightly ahead on the value scale.

youll be happy with it im sure... my kids ipad minis are shipping today finally.. about 10 days ahead of schedule.. already got them screen protectors and cases and stuff. ironically my oldest son dropped my wifes ipad 2 , shattered the screen, so i will be replacing that screen tomorrow, new screen from amazon was only $32.

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1354556538' post='1188270']
youll be happy with it im sure... my kids ipad minis are shipping today finally.. about 10 days ahead of schedule.. already got them screen protectors and cases and stuff. ironically my oldest son dropped my wifes ipad 2 , shattered the screen, so i will be replacing that screen tomorrow, new screen from amazon was only $32.
[/quote]

yea its not the quality of the product I'm worried about but more the "spending money I don't have before I needed to" aspect.

Only reason I did it now is that I'm using it as my wife's christmas present, so part of the expense I would have been incurring anyway. :lol:

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1353788841' post='1183696']
Overpriced & the "Lightning" connector is a joke.
[/quote]

dude, I don't even own an Iphone or any other apple product. But it is IMO the best of the tablets. Rest are copy cats. As far as price I don't think it is.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1354708388' post='1188837']
The form factor of the surface imo is far better than anything out there

now if it only didnt have windows 8....
[/quote]

Can't wait to get my hands on one so I can throw Linux on it and see how it does...

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1354708388' post='1188837']
The form factor of the surface imo is far better than anything out there

now if it only didnt have windows 8....
[/quote]

They make cases with built-in keyboards for just about any tablet now afaik.. What's Surface got otherwise?

Serious question - I haven't used one.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1354725105' post='1188888']
They make cases with built-in keyboards for just about any tablet now afaik.. What's Surface got otherwise?

Serious question - I haven't used one.
[/quote]

You'd have to show me the built in case/keyboard thing, not really seen that before.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1354735673' post='1188937']
You'd have to show me the built in case/keyboard thing, not really seen that before.
[/quote]

[img]http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Nexus-7-keyboard-case-ASUS.jpg[/img]

Archived