Go-bengals conversation: LB draft

Love the idea of centralizing thoughts, videos and discussion about players and by position seems the most practicle. I will keep a list at the top of names. Starting with LB because its a major need and I am going to watch Manti Teo and give my scouting report. Please add yours. I'll add the other positions before next weeks championship games but I imagine most f the discussion will happen during bowl season and beyond.

What we have now (Please correct as you see fit)
SLB Lawson-Lamur
MLB Mualaga-Skuta
WLB Burfict-Rey

IR/NFI Moch, Howard
PS Jacobs, Shaefer

Lamur and Burfict are the only 2 under contract who we know are returning for next year. Lamur flashed coverage ability and seems to at the very least be a solid backup at SLB and likely WLB, with great STs potential and a great chance to be a solid Nickel and Dime LB. Burfict might be our best LB and could really take over in the middle. I wonder if we will always wonder about whats upstairs with him and how close he is to losing it.

Vincent Rey is not under contract but will be easily resigned as a restricted free agent.

Moch's injury has him in limbo.

UFA's are Lawson-Mualaga-Skuta and Howard.

Of that group Skuta and Howard are probably the most desired to come back by the fan's. Howard was our best backer before his injury and Skuta provides solid depth at a couple spots while being a good special teamer.

Practice Squad guys Ben Jacobs and JK Shaefer I know little about.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnK9-1bf37Q[/media]

List of options ESPN Top 10's
ILB
1 Manti Te'o-ND 6-1 248
2 Alec Ogletree-Ga 6-3 237
3 Kevin Reddick-NC 6-2 240
4 Arthur Brown-KSU 6-0 224
5 Michael Mauti-PSU 5-11 235
6 Shayne Skov-Stanford 6-1 245
7 Nico Johnson-Bama 6-2 245
8 Jonathan Bostic-Fla 6-0 245
9 Vince Williams-FSU 6-0 245
10 Chris Borland-Wisconsin 5-11 240

OLB
1 Jarvis Jones-GA 6-2 242
2 Chase Thomas-Stanford 6-2 245
3 Brandon Jenkins-FSU 6-3 257
4 Jelani Jenkins-Florida 6-0 230
5 Khaseem Greene-Rutgers 6-0 239
6 Cornelius Washington-Ga 6-4 258
7 Jonathan Brown-Illinois 6-1 234
8 Kiko Alonso-Oregon 6-2 242
9 Kenny Tate-Maryland 6-3 219
10 Zaviar Gooden-Missouri 6-1 226

I'm impressed by Te'o. He doesn't seem to do anything badly. His positives seem to be that he has great intangibles and smarts for a MLB in both pass coverage and run support. Probably as good as it gets in that as he looked good in zone coverage and reading the running game and sifting through traffic. The negatives seem to be that he doesn't have rare athletic ability. He doesn't look like an explosive athlete. It's one game though but I think this is the consensus that I have read about before. I see him listed as a top 5-10 pick and I don't see it in this game anyway, although he played really well.

Characterwise he seems like he would be a great fit next to Vontaze.

HeisManti would easily be our best linebacker. He works hard and is only going to get better. I hope we get a shot, but I really doubt we do unless we really tank down the stretch.

OT, but USC has some bomb receivers. Those cats would look good in stripes. I know Woods was really highly rated after last year.

Chase Thomas is my favorite in terms of fit for the Bengals. He has a great combo of intelligence, athleticism and pass rushing abilities. Great character as well. Reminds me a bit of Pollack.

I think as of now I like the idea of moving Vontaze inside and resigning Howard to start on the weak side and then addressing strong side in the draft. I think you could probably get Thomas with the Raiders pick, though he could end up being a late riser like Shea McClellan out of Boise was last year. They are pretty similar players.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1353912372' post='1185045']
[b]Chase Thomas is my favorite in terms of fit for the Bengals[/b]. He has a great combo of intelligence, athleticism and pass rushing abilities. Great character as well. Reminds me a bit of Pollack.

I think as of now I like the idea of moving Vontaze inside and resigning Howard to start on the weak side and then addressing strong side in the draft. I think you could probably get Thomas with the Raiders pick, though he could end up being a late riser like Shea McClellan out of Boise was last year. They are pretty similar players.
[/quote]

Agree.

I'd hang onto:

Burflict
Skuta
Lamur

I'd probably keep VRey around to compete because of his ST ability. I'd consider another short-term deal with Howard, but ReyM and Lawson would be gone. I'd give Moch one more chance because of his physical gifts, but I wouldn't count on him. I want an early round outside guy and a later round interior guy in the draft.

Rey's play has improved a lot over the past few weeks, and barring a regression I think he is likely safe, provided he doesn't go after a break the bank contract.

I would not cut Moch without giving him a chance in training camp, but he needs to earn his position and stay healthy. He would not stop me from drafting a LB though.

Hopefully by April the team will have a good feel for Howard. If Howard is good to go, I would not look to draft a LB in the first 2 or 3 rounds unless someone they don't expect to be there is. If he is not in good shape I would look at OLB in the first couple rounds, will or Sam, and move Burfict accordingly.

I would be comfortable with Howard - Maualuga - Burfict as our starters with Skuta, Lamur, and Rey as backups (and maybe Moch).

• 4 weeks later...
Really liked Minter the other night.

He seems very instinctual, fundamentally sound and active. He actually reminds me a lot of what I like about Burfict. I'm not sure he is worth our first rounder but I really like him.

Some videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8QGWrPKVTI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybIpxUVefo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEFudV0W8P4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca51U6UJ-uw

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357131072' post='1202397']
am I the only one who questions whether Chase Thomas is a scheme fit? Isn't he pretty much a pass rushing DE?
[/quote]

He plays strong side OLB in their defense, but I think Stanford runs a 3-4. It may not be a perfect fit, but I think he would be better than a lot of the DE conversion guys.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1357133267' post='1202411']
He plays strong side OLB in their defense, but I think Stanford runs a 3-4. It may not be a perfect fit, but I think he would be better than a lot of the DE conversion guys.
[/quote]

admittedly I haven't watched a lot of him, but it always seems he's lined up at DE or by the DE and rushing.

My main thing is finding another coverage backer. Outside of Maualuga, who's pretty good, but not great, none of the current backers on the team are any good in coverage.

they were actually dropping Thomas into coverage quite a bit last night, I thought he held up pretty damn well.

even though he's a 3-4 OLB that plays on the line a lot, he's one of those guys that could literally play anywhere on that front 7 and thrive. He's just pure football player.

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1357147721' post='1202498']
it's Arthur Brown or bust for me.....if they have to reach a little and take him in rd 1 in order to get him here then so be it...he'll be worth it.
[/quote]

I am very excited to compare Brown-Thomas and Ogletree with Minter. I don't see a scenario where I am happy after pick 38 and we have not taken a LB.

Archived