Cable/Internet Provider Recommendations

So I think I hit my last straw with Time Warner today as they want to start charging customers $4/month for their modem. I've had my modem with them for probably 6 years, and NOW they want to start charging for it? No Way.

I've only stayed with them as long as I have because I didn't want to risk getting something with slower internet. Now I'm ready to take that risk.

Any suggesstions for the Southern Dayton area? Internet's the most important (2 PC's, 3-4 other electronics on wifi), with basic cable a second consideration.

pretty standard practice with all providers these days. buy your own or pay a fee, im pretty shocked that havent been for the past many many years...

i bought my own, my dad bought his own, sister bought her own...

you arent likely to find a provider that isnt going to charge it honestly.

to be honest its not worth switching over unless another provider offers something better... at my job i hear this scenario all the time. we started charging upgrade fees. everyone, literally every other carrier charged upgrade fees, and several times a day we heard it "what? i have been here for 8 years, i will just switch to verizon!!!!" cool, then youll pay a cancellation fee, and an activation fee thats twice as much as the upgrade fee, AND pay more per month....

same kinda thing.. just review your options, and 99% chance youll just pay the fee or buy your own... if there was some way better service around you probably would have switched a while ago...

• 1 month later...
bumping this up for any more thoughts. Giving serious thought about AT&T as time warner raised our bill AGAIN. Only thing holding me back is I have much better internet than I'd get anywhere else likely.

At the very least I'm going to give a shot to threatening to cancel. Had a relative do that recently and they took off $50 a month for a year.

Does anyone have cable and internet from two different providers? That's also something I'm considering, but don't know about the complications that would be involved.

i have directv and comcast for internet...

cant imagine any complications for any reason..

what is your time warner bill costing? unless its $200/mo for everything i doubt its worth switching all around..

if you DO call to "threaten to cancel" i would do it in a calm normal way, as if you made the decision already. like "i just needed to cancel my service" and if they ask why, be like " ah i just got an offer from AT7T for way cheaper internet so I am going to do directv and get internet through AT&T, it just ends up being cheaper..

and they will try to save you if they can. tell them its $50-60/mo cheaper or whatever you want.. theyll offer whatever they can.. they are far more likely to be helpful if they arent having a hostile confrontational demanding conversation with you..

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1358031577' post='1207580']
My Comcast internet is kick fucking ass (for America...and this isn't even their top tier of speed):

[url="http://www.speedtest.net/result/2432271198.png"]http://www.speedtest.../2432271198.png[/url]
[/quote]

the download you get is good.. I did mine just now and got about 20 mbps... But 6 upload!?!? Wow, very nice. Mine just got 1.32.

I have Insight btw. Now that this is an option for 1181 but for those that it is, I freakin' love it... This is the second to bottom tier and to get 20 mbps is pretty good.

my cinbell fiber in cincy was 30 down and 30 up, it was great, i have the same speed as bungholio there with comcast, i dislike it, my sisters 20/20 fiber is much snappier than my comcast...

comcast makes me a sad panda... i miss fiber.

my cinbell fiber in cincy was 30 down and 30 up, it was great, i have the same speed as bungholio there with comcast, i dislike it, my sisters 20/20 fiber is much snappier than my comcast...

comcast makes me a sad panda... i miss fiber.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1358031577' post='1207580']
My Comcast internet is kick fucking ass (for America...and this isn't even their top tier of speed):

[url="http://www.speedtest.net/result/2432271198.png"]http://www.speedtest.../2432271198.png[/url]
[/quote]

That's what my download averages. High 20s low 30s. You have much better upload though.

I called and was able to get $24 per month off (what my bill was) for the next year plus they upgraded my cable package. Even once the promotion package is over I'll be paying $12 less per month than my current bill. For the next year my bill will be lower than its been in about five years.

Plus I'll get NFL Network now.

Archived