eva4ben-gal

Who has guns?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a gun?

• No
    • Yes
    • Multiple guns
    • I own an assault rifle

I have a 16 gauge pump shotgun that my Dad got me for my 16th birthday, a 20 gauge single shot that I inherited when he died, several antique handguns inherited from my father in law, a 380 semi auto handgun, a 45 semi auto handgun, a S&W 40 semi auto handgun, a Mossberg 500 pistol grip short barrel 20 gauge and I just bought a Ruger mini 30 semi auto rifle.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1356117856' post='1196163']
Tons of people have assault rifles. I know 3 or 4 people that have one.
[/quote]

Why? This makes me think I need to go get an assault rifle to protect myself from these wierdos. There is not a legitimate reason to have an assault rifle.

There are tons of reasons connected to paranoia and low self esteem.

Dude, it's just a rifle. Get over the "assault" word. It just [i]looks[/i] like a military weapon. It's semi-automatic, just like many. many available handguns and other rifles that don't "look as scary". You are letting some recent tragedies emotionally color your opinion. We need to get the guns out of the hands of crazy people by not letting them buy or otherwise acquire them, not prevent responsible people from owning reasonable weapons. An AR-15 is a reasonable weapon to have...the proof is in the fact that there are millions and millions of them owned in the US. It uses a extremely common deer rifle round and is often used by hunters within the laws of their respective states.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1356120530' post='1196190']
Dude, it's just a rifle. Get over the "assault" word. It just [i]looks[/i] like a military weapon. It's semi-automatic, just like many. many available handguns and other rifles that don't "look as scary". You are letting some recent tragedies emotionally color your opinion. We need to get the guns out of the hands of crazy people by not letting them buy or otherwise acquire them, not prevent responsible people from owning reasonable weapons. An AR-15 is a reasonable weapon to have...the proof is in the fact that there are millions and millions of them owned in the US. It uses a extremely common deer rifle round and is often used by hunters within the laws of their respective states.
[/quote]

Define crazy

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1356120530' post='1196190']
[/quote]
Not to mention the AR-15 is highly customizable and fun to tinker with. It's also really fun to shoot. My friend has one but all I've got is a mosin nagant from WWI era. That sucker is a beast! I could probably hunt elephants with it but metal targets 500 yards out will do I guess. I love the kick and sound that comes from that weapon, plus I can pretend I'm shooting nazis

This entire thread is literally making me want to leave America. The idiocy is much more pervasive than I had thought it was. Did you see the numbers of guns we have per person as compared to other countries....it's astounding. We are a country of people with short man syndrome. I guess that's what building a society based off individualism does.

What percentage of American households have a gun?

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1356125387' post='1196212']
This entire thread is literally making me want to leave America. The idiocy is much more pervasive than I had thought it was. Did you see the numbers of guns we have per person as compared to other countries....it's astounding. We are a country of people with short man syndrome. I guess that's what building a society based off individualism does.

What percentage of American households have a gun?
[/quote]
I wish people that said things like "this thread makes me want to leave America" would do it. Go live in a foreign country of your choosing and see how long you can last. Either the US would be rid of you for good or you'd be forced to admit that every nation on this planet has flaws and you should be grateful for the relatively easy life America is able provide you

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1356125680' post='1196216']
I wish people that said things like "this thread makes me want to leave America" would do it. Go live in a foreign country of your choosing and see how long you can last. Either the US would be rid of you for good or you'd be forced to admit that every nation on this planet has flaws and you should be grateful for the relatively easy life America is able provide you
[/quote]

Every nation in the world has flaws. No other nation has the need for this many guns. I have literally traveled around the world. We get a great standard of living here. Thats for sure. But the greed at the top and the bottom leads to things like people having the most guns in the world and extreme mental health issues.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1356126241' post='1196219']
Every nation in the world has flaws. No other nation has the need for this many guns. I have literally traveled around the world. We get a great standard of living here. Thats for sure. But the greed at the top and the bottom leads to things like people having the most guns in the world and extreme mental health issues.
[/quote]

Please cite for me that greed is the reason why people own guns or develop mental health issues.

Who hunts deer with an AR-15? Not anyone I know. I'm not so into deer hunting myself but it would certainly raise some eyebrows amongst my friends & family that are into it (to say the least). As for the .223 I've been told it's prone to tumble/fragment/ricochet easily, which is not what you want in a hunting round.

Note: for the record, you can't hunt deer with a standard/modern rifle in Ohio, has to be a muzzleloader or shotgun.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1356126620' post='1196222']

Please cite for me that greed is the reason why people own guns or develop mental health issues.
[/quote]

A key aspect of a lot of mental health problems is ones environment. The us has created a individualistic mentality and that leads to division. Income inequality in the us as at an enormous level due to this greed. Countries with low division have very low levels of mental health problems and are reported as the happiest. Division also leads to paranoia. Paranoia leads to gun ownership. I also leads to people trying to find ways to show their manhood. In conclusion greed destroys community. Community provides the support necessary for persons to function and work through situations that can lead to distress.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1356126620' post='1196222']
[/quote]

Well greed is why we dont treat mental health issues as well as we could. I'd also argue that greed has led to the family unit being broken down because many families have to have both parents working to simply survive.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1356126649' post='1196223']
Who hunts deer with an AR-15? Not anyone I know. I'm not so into deer hunting myself but it would certainly raise some eyebrows amongst my friends & family that are into it (to say the least). As for the .223 I've been told it's prone to tumble/fragment/ricochet easily, which is not what you want in a hunting round.

Note: for the record, you can't hunt deer with a standard/modern rifle in Ohio, has to be a muzzleloader or shotgun.
[/quote]

I never said hunt deer with it. It's a perfect coyote elimination weapon, however. I know several people that are hired by farmers in rural areas that use this weapon to great effect to kill coyotes, which are a nuisance animal (to say the least) for farmers that raise livestock, chickens, etc.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1356132141' post='1196230']
A key aspect of a lot of mental health problems is ones environment. The us has created a individualistic mentality and that leads to division. Income inequality in the us as at an enormous level due to this greed. Countries with low division have very low levels of mental health problems and are reported as the happiest. Division also leads to paranoia. Paranoia leads to gun ownership. I also leads to people trying to find ways to show their manhood. In conclusion greed destroys community. Community provides the support necessary for persons to function and work through situations that can lead to distress.
[/quote]

An individualistic mentality does not automatically imply division nor income inequality. Paranoia is something that most people experience to varying degrees but rarely reaches psychotic levels. And this whole "metal phallus" argument with guns needs to stop. Yes, greed can destroy community....but that isn't in any way tied to gun ownership.
[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1356141643' post='1196252']
Well greed is why we dont treat mental health issues as well as we could. I'd also argue that greed has led to the family unit being broken down because many families have to have both parents working to simply survive.
[/quote]

True, and I am an advocate of rectifying that. But again, it isn't the fault of guns or sane gun owners that a extreme minority of crazy people get to set the gun agenda or affect people on such an emotional level that they cannot see the forest for the trees.

Archived