*Edited Title* Houston, you have a problem. You're the Bengals first victim.

[b] Ben Roethlisberger: 'I blew it' against Bengals[/b]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]
[b]PITTSBURGH[/b] – Ben Roethlisberger scrambling out of pocket is nothing out of the norm. The Pittsburgh Steelers' quarterback has made a living improvising plays for the past nine seasons, so when he rolled right and away from the Bengals' pass rush, waving for wide receiver Mike Wallace to flow towards the sidelines 20 yards away it appeared he was about to pull off another escape.

This time the magic would be for the Bengals.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Roethlisberger's pass sailed over Wallace and into the hands of safety Reggie Nelson at the Bengals 44. Nelson returned the ball 10 yards to the Pittsburgh 46 with 14 seconds remaining to set up Josh Brown's game-winning 43-yard field goal 10 seconds later, sending the Bengals to the AFC playoffs for a second consecutive season and eliminating Pittsburgh in the process, [/size][/font][/color][b][url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121223/SPT02/121223005/Bengals-down-Steelers-clinch-playoff-berth"]13-10 at Heinz Field[/url][/b][color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4].[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]It is the second consecutive game Roethlisberger has thrown an interception that led to a game-winning field goal while looking for Wallace. His interception in overtime at Dallas last Sunday set up the deciding points in a 27-24 Pittsburgh defeat. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]"I blew it," said Roethlisberger. "It just came off my hand high and as soon as it left my hand I knew it." [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Nelson and fellow safety Chris Crocker were positioned at the Bengals 48 when Roethlisberger took the snap on second-and-5 from his own 29 with 24 seconds left. Wallace was covered on his initial dig route then followed Roethlisberger's lead when the scramble drill ensued.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]"We were on the same page but we just didn’t connect on the throw," said Wallace. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Roethlisberger finished the game 14 of 28 passing for 220 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. Leon Hall returned a pass intended for tight end Heath Miller 17 yards in the first quarter for the Bengals' only touchdown of the game.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]It was the third interception of the season for Nelson, all coming in the last four games. He sealed a 20-13 win at San Diego on Dec. 2 by picking off a Philip Rivers pass in the end zone late in the fourth quarter.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]"My job was to stay deep. Coach (Mike) Zimmer put us in a good call and we practiced that," said Nelson. "If (Wallace) would've caught the ball I would've tackled him. But he sailed it over his head and I just went for the interception and that's how it came out. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]“My eyes were big, man. I was like 'Oh man, I've got to catch this one.' I dropped one earlier in the fourth quarter."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Nelson said cornerback Terence Newman gave him a shove out of bounds at the 46.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]"That was a vet move," said Nelson. "I got pushed out of bounds and that was the end of that." [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]The Bengals have had their share of late-season misery at the hands of Roethlisberger and the Steelers. They lost the 2005 AFC Wild Card game to Pittsburgh, 31-17, at Paul Brown Stadium. Roethlisberger's 67-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes 1:33 into overtime in the 2006 regular season finale beat the Bengals 23-17 at PBS and kept them out of the playoffs. The Bengals were routed 35-7 at Heinz Field last December.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Sunday, the Bengals turned the tables on their division rival.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]"We should be (going to the playoffs) if it wasn't for me," said Roethlisberger. “I feel that we have a lot of really good guys out there on offense, they played well. They need more play, and better play from the quarterback.”[/size][/font][/color]

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121223/SPT02/312230026/Roethlisberger-blew-

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1356318917' post='1198354']
If there is any chance we play Baltimore than I want that. I don't think you guys have watched NE lately. They have been dominant before today.
[/quote]

Yah they did look dominant in that 49 game...

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1356328210' post='1198532']
By the way...Indy doesnt have anything to play for. Wonder if they will try to beat Houston or if they will rest guys.

Denver plays KC. I think both of those teams win and we head to NE.
[/quote]
[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1356328210' post='1198532']
By the way...Indy doesnt have anything to play for. Wonder if they will try to beat Houston or if they will rest guys.

Denver plays KC. I think both of those teams win and we head to NE.
[/quote]

I think they can try to play for a certain opponent. Not sure if they are thinking this way but I know I would rather face Texans than the other 2. They beat the Texans I am pretty sure they might get them again?

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1356313416' post='1198276']
Not sure about that, they have a great 3-4 defense, and they have a whole blueprint from today on how to terrorize our offense.

I honestly think NE is our best matchup. Our defense is playing lights out, and as long as they do a reasonable job with Brady, we have a winnable game. Just need our offense to get back to form from that 4-game winning streak.
[/quote]

Yeh but Houston has been on a downward spiral for the last few weeks, since the Cushing Injury. Also, proportionately, New England's offense is better than Houston's D right now - New England hung 42 points on Texans D remember. Also, if we can get an early lead on the Texans they will find it more difficult than most teams to come from behind. They're simply not a come from behind team. Also, our secondary is a lot healthier than last year's game and I think we could contain Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels easier than Gronkowski of New England.

Here are some notes on what each team is in risk of gaining and losing.

Houston - Houston can slip from #2 to #3 with a loss next week so they will be playing for the win and a bye
Denver - Denver will be playing hard against KC to get the bye - nothing to see here.
New England - NE will be playing for a win and a chance to get a bye but with that probably not happening they probably will rest some guys
Baltimore - Baltimore will probably rest some guys. They are already in he 3rd or 4th seed but likely to finish 4th. No chance at the bye and they have a home game.

Indianapolis - Indy will be playing for nothing against a Houston team playing for a bye - I cannot see Indy taking this game and they should rest some players.
Cincinnati - Cincy is playing for nothing. We can't control any opponent unless NE loses to Miami then we could lose to Baltimore and get them again in the playoffs.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1356328657' post='1198536']
I think they can try to play for a certain opponent. Not sure if they are thinking this way but I know I would rather face Texans than the other 2. They beat the Texans I am pretty sure they might get them again?
[/quote]

Indy cant try to play for a certain opponent. They are locked into the 5 seed no matter what. Their game means nothing to them. They play baltimore unless NE loses to miami and we lose to baltimore, then they'd play NE. But either way they have no control over it. There also is no way they could play Houston in the first round.

[quote name='WhoDeyRG' timestamp='1356354426' post='1198576']
I think NE loses on purpose to Miami to set themselves up to avoid playing us. If you remember they did the same thing in 05. They lost the last game of the season to avoid playing the steelers. Who would you rather play if you were them us or the colts?
[/quote]

If they win they can get a bye if just Denver or Houston loses. No way does NE purposely pass up on a bye opportunity.
EDIT: Denver and Houston play at 1 and Ne doesn't play till 4. So if both Denver and Houston win, and we lose then NE can control whether they want the 3 or 4.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1356321988' post='1198419']
Bengals vs the refs in the playoffs... you heard it here first
[/quote]

That is a given.

The league has to trot out their QB stars in the postseason....so the Low Information Fan stays interested and buys all the stuff.

God forbid some 6th seed would disrupt that.

Oh wait...

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1356353586' post='1198571']

yea anyone with a nagging injury gets babied this week.
[/quote]

Quite possibly.

I was also thinking that this would be the week to "experiment" with different sets, formations, and plays--on both sides of the ball. Try some new stuff out.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1356313416' post='1198276']
Not sure about that, they have a great 3-4 defense, and they have a whole blueprint from today on how to terrorize our offense.

I honestly think NE is our best matchup. Our defense is playing lights out, and as long as they do a reasonable job with Brady, we have a winnable game. [b]Just need our offense to get back to form from that 4-game winning streak[/b].
[/quote]
I agree but my concern is that during that stretch we played some pretty mediocre opposition aside from maybe the Giants. And it isn't like the offense only played poorly yesterday (albeit against a great defense)...they've been pretty shaky for weeks now.

My concern against teams like NE and Denver is falling way behind early in a game against them and having to play catch up. I don't think our offense is built to engineer a furious 3 score comeback.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1356358612' post='1198600']

I agree but my concern is that during that stretch we played some pretty mediocre opposition aside from maybe the Giants. And it isn't like the offense only played poorly yesterday (albeit against a great defense)...they've been pretty shaky for weeks now.

My concern against teams like NE and Denver is falling way behind early in a game against them and having to play catch up. I don't think our offense is built to engineer a furious 3 score comeback.
[/quote]

They aren't at all. But if we can start strong, we are one of the best first quarter teams, we could pin out ears back and attack Brady and use BJGE to control the ball against a bad run defense.

If we play NE we have to get the early lead. If we can do that we have a decent shot. Fall behind an we will be in trouble.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1356311245' post='1198239']

Simple question, do you want to play at Houston, Denver, or NE?

[/quote]

I'm going to say New England simply because I want to see Adkins rub Marsha Brady's
faggot pretty face into the turf a few times.

[img]http://cdn.motinetwork.net/motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/1201/tom-brady-brady-bieber-rugby-football-nfl-demotivational-posters-1327751283.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1356319395' post='1198361']
Could be as simple as having drank coffee. Or even dehydration. Usually in an older person, say Dusty Baker's age, it could be symptomatic and cause one to pass out, palpitations, rapid heart rate, fatigue, etc and that could hospitalize the person. Though it could happen to a young guy like Foster, but its probably nothing and he's play unhindered next week.

[/quote]

True.

The guy is an athlete. If he had a problem (even genetic) they'd know about it way before now. I say it was probably something simple and no big deal, ...that's my 2 cents.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1356322351' post='1198423']

And I am saying our stats are heightened by playing bad teams. Who knows who is right? I don't know. But calling my opinion worthless is bullshit. I have eyes too bro.
[/quote]

Just an aside, but remember the beginning of the season when everyone said we had to win a bunch in the first 8 games because the last 8 were going to be a bitch? Now, they are all bad teams. HAHAHAHA!!

I want the Patriots! For two main reasons.

Reason #1: I believe the Bengals are the only team in the league that resembles the two world championship Giants teams. Now do not get me wrong. I'm not saying the Bengals are as good as those teams nor am I saying the Bengals will win the Super Bowl. The Bengals defensive line is very comparable to the Giants. Both lines are so deep talent wise, that rotations never cause them to fatigue during games. Most importantly, the lines could generate a pass rush on a consistant basis from the inside and outside without the dependence of blitzing linebackers or defensive backs. And on offense, like the Giants, the Bengals aren't overly impressive but both are balanced with the knack of making clutch plays in crunch time.
There's a motto in boxing that goes, "styles makes fights". As dominant as the Patriots have been over the past decade, the one clear blueprint to stop Tom Brady is having the ability to pressure him, inside and out without (blitzing) sacrificing linebackers or defensive backs from coverage. I believe the Bengals defense would pose problems for Tom Brady and the Bengals offense is good enough to move the ball consistantly on the Pats defense.

Reason #2. Beating the Patriots in the playoffs would finally bring the Bengals the validation and respect the national media refuses to give.

[quote name='sneaky' timestamp='1356362088' post='1198622']
I want the Patriots! For two main reasons.

Reason #1: I believe the Bengals are the only team in the league that resembles the two world championship Giants teams. Now do not get me wrong. I'm not saying the Bengals are as good as those teams nor am I saying the Bengals will win the Super Bowl. The Bengals defensive line is very comparable to the Giants. Both lines are so deep talent wise, that rotations never cause them to fatigue during games. Most importantly, the lines could generate a pass rush on a consistant basis from the inside and outside without the dependence of blitzing linebackers or defensive backs. And on offense, like the Giants, the Bengals aren't overly impressive but both are balanced with the knack of making clutch plays in crunch time.
There's a motto in boxing that goes, "styles makes fights". As dominant as the Patriots have been over the past decade, the one clear blueprint to stop Tom Brady is having the ability to pressure him, inside and out without (blitzing) sacrificing linebackers or defensive backs from coverage. I believe the Bengals defense would pose problems for Tom Brady and the Bengals offense is good enough to move the ball consistantly on the Pats defense.

Reason #2. Beating the Patriots in the playoffs would finally bring the Bengals the validation and respect the national media refuses to give.
[/quote]

Well thought out and I agree but there is one thing I fear. Gronk and Hernandez have not played at the same time this season. IIRC Hernandez started the season hurt and came back just as Gronk got hurt? All reports are Gronk should be healthy by the playoffs.

If their first game having both of these guys is against us, we will not be able to game plan accordingly. Bellicheck will show us 10 new looks and probably 25 plays nobody has ever seen. Last year against BAL Hernandez came out as a RB, ran the ball a bunch of times and motioned all over the field for mis-matches.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1356362505' post='1198625']

Well thought out and I agree but there is one thing I fear. Gronk and Hernandez have not played at the same time this season. IIRC Hernandez started the season hurt and came back just as Gronk got hurt? All reports are Gronk should be healthy by the playoffs.

If their first game having both of these guys is against us, we will not be able to game plan accordingly. Bellicheck will show us 10 new looks and probably 25 plays nobody has ever seen. Last year against BAL Hernandez came out as a RB, ran the ball a bunch of times and motioned all over the field for mis-matches.
[/quote]

Maybe so. Ultimately, to be the best you got to beat the best. Playing any team in the playoffs won't be easy. Because Houston, Denver and New England have been head and shoulders better than any other team in the AFC, debating the degree of difficulty in playing any of those three, is kinda like debating what's the least painful death---getting shot, stabbed or strangled? I'm glad the Bengals are in the playoffs but I'm not too concerned who they will play. Either way, I know we will be heavy underdogs and instead of focusing on the talented youth this team has and its accomplishments the past two seasons, the new talking points will be, "The Bengals have the longest running playoff victory drought in the league". So, yeah you could be right about the Pats, I hope I'm right about the Pats, but it comes down to --- whatever, let's see what they can do.

Archived