'Bout to Slingshot this Slingbox into space...

mongo

Been trying to setup this Slingbox 350 for an hour now. Hooked everything up, and it works... Except for the onscreen remote. Nothing will get it to change the channel on my Directv box. I've tried all of the directv remote options suggested on the various help forums. I've confirmed the directv box is to receive IR signals.... Grrrrrrr!

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1356572096' post='1199559']
you set up the little IR things on the directv BOX? are you sure where the directv IR eyeball is?

also which directv box are you using? HR24?
[/quote]

Yeah, I have the HR24. I have the little IR pyramid thing plugged in, and pointed at the HR24. The Slingbox 350 also has IR emitors built in, so I've tried pointing that at the HR24 as well... To top it off, I sat waiting for web support for almost an hour and, I shit you not, they arrived right as I gave up and quit Safari.

I want to scream.

they are known for total shit support. have been for years...which sucks.. their forum is basically their support...

the IR eyeball is on the top left of the HR24. so you have one on the top and one on the bottom sticking out from the HR24(top and bottom) with the little light pointing at the top left area of the HR24?

I am not curently using my IR things with my HR24, i just set the channel before i leave if i plan to use the slingbox, but i have in the past and had no issues at all...

The slingbox itself has bright IR emitters which are usually bright enough to bounce off surfaces and control the DVR. However, nothing seems to be working.

-I've tried to set up the various remote configs with the box facing the DVR sensor, with the optional corded IR blaster facing the DVR sensor, and with both facing the sensor.

-I've pulled out the digital camera to confirm both of the IR emitter options of the Slingbox are actually working (they are).

-I've made sure my Mac is up to date.

-I've uninstalled and reinstalled the sling player plugin.

A couple questions:

1. With your Slingbox, can you access your DVR'd shows? When trying to configure, the 'list' button is never available (none of the DVR controlling options are). Only the channel, volume, guide, etc...

2. If you ever bit the bullet on the ipad app, can you bring up your remote? I can't. It's grayed out... I would have thought, even having it configured with a remote with unresponsive buttons, I would be able to bring up a remote on the ipad.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1356617129' post='1199679']
The slingbox itself has bright IR emitters which are usually bright enough to bounce off surfaces and control the DVR. However, nothing seems to be working.

-I've tried to set up the various remote configs with the box facing the DVR sensor, with the optional corded IR blaster facing the DVR sensor, and with both facing the sensor.

-I've pulled out the digital camera to confirm both of the IR emitter options of the Slingbox are actually working (they are).

-I've made sure my Mac is up to date.

-I've uninstalled and reinstalled the sling player plugin.

A couple questions:

1. With your Slingbox, can you access your DVR'd shows? When trying to configure, the 'list' button is never available (none of the DVR controlling options are). Only the channel, volume, guide, etc...

2. If you ever bit the bullet on the ipad app, can you bring up your remote? I can't. It's grayed out... I would have thought, even having it configured with a remote with unresponsive buttons, I would be able to bring up a remote on the ipad.
[/quote]

#1: no, the app doesnt work with my versions of the slingbox, so i never bothered..
#2. it worked when i was in ohio and had motorola cinbell DVR's, but i never tried since i have been out here

Oh, I'll check those out.

I'm not certain my remote is actually operating in IR mode, despite the HR24 being set up in IR mode. Need to do more testing, but I can totally point that remote in lots of directions that should have it unseeable by the IR receiver. And the remote (RC64R) is listed as an IR/RF remote... Something is going on, and I just don't know what... I wonder if it is transmitting both ways, and I need to somehow re-setup the RC64R and HR24 to only work IR?

i think its either or, but i cant be sure, i think the receiver is either RF or IR at one time(just capable of both), i have one set up one way and the other set up another way.

i had a timely setup process in getting the RF remote working, but perhaps your installer did it for you without you knowing? its something you would remember doing yourself for sure.

good luck.

first thought that came to mind was "good luck with that"... my slingbox experiences have always left me with a feeling of slight surprise that it worked and lots of finger crossing. if you get that thing to work on all inputs and so forth, i will be impressed.

that said, in theory it can do that, but i have never attempted myself.

Fuck me... I think I may have figured out the problem, but have no idea how to fix it (and therefore, if I'm even right).

Here's where I am:

1. The Directv remote (model RC64R) has 4 Component ID settings (0,1,2,3) which correspond to the options on the top of the remote (Directv, AV1, AV2, TV)

2. When setting up the Slingbox, it tells me the Component ID will be 1, and that Component ID 1 on the remote needs to be setup to control my Directv.

3. On the RC64R, ID 0 is the ID for Directv, ID 1 is for TV, ID 2 is for AV1, and ID 3 is for AV2...

4. On the RC64R, you can reconfigure ID's 0,2, and 3 to control Directv. Attempting to reconfigure ID 1 for Directv fails (the Directv code is 00001. No TV codes start with a zero. Attempting to enter a code that starts with zero seems to not work).

So it seems I need to either find a custom remote bin that has a component ID of 0, or I need to find a way to change the directv component ID to 1.... This is gonna fucking suck.

wow, that seems like a problem that shouldnt exist with a company as big as directv's remotes. Slingbox should be aware of this. your ONLY hope is probably directv or slingmedia forums and finding someone who has already remedied the issue, that or a lot of work on your end...which almost doesnt seem worth it..

good luck!

So that was a dead end path... I'm now working on the idea this DVR I got used to be in a multiple DVR household, and that it's address is no longer the default (could be anywhere from 1-8). I've downloaded custom IR codes that resolve this issue and I'll try them tomorrow or Monday.

Edit: That was it. Works now. Yay!

Archived