Go Bengals Conversation: OL Draft

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1357233174' post='1202981']
Again, I have no problem with Cook but he can definitely be improved upon because he's just an avg player with limited upside. If Barrett Jones is the best player on the board when they get on the clock, I don't think they're gonna let the fact that they have Cook here keep them from making the pick.

Like I said, they can be good with Cook, they can be dominant with Jones. Who doesn't want dominant?
[/quote]

Id like Adequate elsewhere first. Especially when it comes to big men with foot and ankle injuries already

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1357234764' post='1202994']
Jones isn't some can't miss dominating center prospect either. I don't think he's an upgrade over what we have.
[/quote]

as an interior lineman he's as can't miss as Zeitler was and he's more than likely gonna get drafted in roughly the same spot barring long term injury or a complete collapse Mon night...which I don't see happening.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1357233727' post='1202987']
Id like Adequate elsewhere first.
[/quote]

seriously? where are they not "adequate"?

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1357235159' post='1202998']
as an interior lineman he's as can't miss as Zeitler was and he's more than likely gonna get drafted in roughly the same spot barring long term injury or a complete collapse Mon night...which I don't see happening.

seriously? where are they not "adequate"?
[/quote]

i think we have duct tape at S and LB

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1357243993' post='1203082']
There's a 0% chance we draft a center with the first 3 picks
[/quote]

well what did you think the chances were last year for them to take 2 DT's in the first 4 rounds with Peko, Atkins and Simms here?

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1357224438' post='1202891']
Cook was a top 10 center in the NFL last year. He got hurt and is a little rusty this season. He'll be fine once he's healthy. He's also signed for a few more seasons. Robinson is a rookie and played very very well. There's no way we draft a center in the first round.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
[/quote]

The Bengals are 25th in run blocking. We run up the center the majority of the time. In other words, it is broke. There's alot to be said for BJGE who had over a thousand yards behind an Offensive Line that was ranked 25th in run blocking. Last two games we played have illustrated this glaring weakness. If everyone is happy with being ranked 25th or worse in any category then the answer is we don't need him.

I believe Cook will be ok as will Robinson. But not great enough to elevate the line. Boling and Roland are two other names that come to mind. Good thing about Jones is that he can switch back and forth on the line. Not too many of those listed can do more than just one job much less actually doing three jobs at a high level.

We might not draft a dedicated Center in the draft but we may get one that can play Tackle, Guard, and Center...

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1357696403' post='1206562']
Jones isn't a good enough athlete or powerful enough to be a full time tackle. His strengths are his intelligence and technique. He's a center or guard in the NFL. 2nd rounder.
[/quote]

But his weakness is that he's not very powerful. He's a technician which makes him a good pass blocker but not very powerful in the run game. Somebody will draft him as a LT.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1357697365' post='1206568']

But his weakness is that he's not very powerful. He's a technician which makes him a good pass blocker but not very powerful in the run game. Somebody will draft him as a LT.
[/quote]
He's stronger than he is athletic. He's an inside guy in the NFL. Spot starter at tackle if needed.

Archived