options in round 1

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1357155887' post='1202608']
I am beginning to think that Bernard is just that much better then any other back that I would take him with the first. I never thought i would say that about a RB who I didn't see as APesque.
[/quote]
Bernard has some Lesean McCoy skills. His biggest issue is health.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1357157602' post='1202627']
Bernard has some Lesean McCoy skills. His biggest issue is health.
[/quote]

Bernard-Johnson and Randle seem like the 3 guys who could both be a change of pace to the law firm and an every down back. Ellington and especially Barner seem interesting but they would need a Law firm to take a ton of carries.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1357155887' post='1202608']
I am beginning to think that Bernard is just that much better then any other back that I would take him with the first. I never thought i would say that about a RB who I didn't see as APesque.
[/quote]

He may be the best back in the draft, but I still think taking him in 1 would be a reach, even if just a small one. And I don't see enough of a need at RB to reach for one. I'd be much happier taking a speed back later in the draft.

I think I have been persuaded by others and would be happy of 1 of any of these players at each of these positions, but I feel like my mind is changing daily as a I research more and more.

RB
Giovanni Bernard
Kenjon Barner
Stepfan Taylor

LB
Kevin Minter
Shayne Skov
Alec Ogletree
Arthur Brown
Khaseem Greene

S
Eric Reid
Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam

Get me 3 of those guys in the top 3 picks and I don't think I would complain no matter which three they were.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357245405' post='1203096']
which means you wait on a RB.
[/quote]

You think so? I agree if you add Ellington and Randle, but safety's never seem to got that high, and the LB list is longer. This will be an interesting year for the draft. Different than most I remember because they seem deep at all three positions we need, it's just timing.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1357249968' post='1203129']
You think so? I agree if you add Ellington and Randle, but safety's never seem to got that high, and the LB list is longer. This will be an interesting year for the draft. Different than most I remember because they seem deep at all three positions we need, it's just timing.
[/quote]

you'll find some good backs in the 3rd round.

of the 3, I'd say safety has the least depth.

gotta feel really good if you're the Bengals knowing that probably 2, if not 3, of Barner, Gillislee, Graham and Ellington will be sitting there at the end of the 2nd round.

All have different strengths they can bring to the team. Barner is certainly the fastest and could help immediately on special teams, but Gillislee played in a more pro style offense and could also be a special teams returner. Graham may be the most complete of all 4, but has an injury history and offers less on special teams. Ellington is another guy who can help in all areas.

That's why I think you beef up the back 7 of the defense (while keeping the DL intact in free agency) with the first two picks (DB and LB) and then go RB at the end of the 2nd or the 3rd.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357310261' post='1203251']
gotta feel really good if you're the Bengals knowing that probably 2, if not 3, of Barner, Gillislee, Graham and Ellington will be sitting there at the end of the 2nd round.

All have different strengths they can bring to the team. Barner is certainly the fastest and could help immediately on special teams, but Gillislee played in a more pro style offense and could also be a special teams returner. Graham may be the most complete of all 4, but has an injury history and offers less on special teams. Ellington is another guy who can help in all areas.

That's why I think you beef up the back 7 of the defense (while keeping the DL intact in free agency) with the first two picks (DB and LB) and then go RB at the end of the 2nd or the 3rd.
[/quote]

I am beginning to agree with you. I don't put Graham in that class and know very little about Gilleslee but if we ended up with one of Barner, Bernard, Taylor, Ellington or Randle I would be happy.

At RB, Dennis Johnson from Arkansas has Doug Martin/ Ray Rice size/speed. It'll be interesting to watch how his stock moves. I've only seen YouTube game videos, anybody know more?

Edit: I also like Gillislee and Barner, in that order.

Edit II: On Topic-- the first pick has to be back seven, unless FA losses or unexplained precipitous fall dictates DE. I don't necessarily think we're a S away from glory, but maybe a LB. As early as it is ( before first playoff game), I like Skov in the very, very bottom of the first.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1357344360' post='1203466']
At RB, Dennis Johnson from Arkansas has Doug Martin/ Ray Rice size/speed. It'll be interesting to watch how his stock moves. I've only seen YouTube game videos, anybody know more?

[/quote]

that's a good call on Johnson, he's kind of a guy I forget about after Knile Davis came back this year. Once he started sucking though I pretty much stopped paying attention to the Razorbacks and completely lost track of Johnson. Watching him a few times in '11, he reminded me a lot of Rudi Johnson. It will indeed be interesting to see where he ends up grading out at.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1357346234' post='1203474']
Not a round 1 option but what y'all think of Denard Robinson at RB and KR? He was a RB for Michigan last few games. Good size for speed back at 6'0 200. Obviously a dynamic athlete. Probably a 3rd round guy.
[/quote]

Well I definitely wouldn't take Robinson in the 3rd rd but I wouldn't have any qualms about taking him a little later on down the line.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1357344360' post='1203466']

Edit II: On Topic-- the first pick has to be back seven, unless FA losses or unexplained precipitous fall dictates DE. I don't necessarily think we're a S away from glory, but maybe a LB. As early as it is ( before first playoff game), I like Skov in the very, very bottom of the first.
[/quote]

I like Dennis Johnson though haven't watched much of him lately.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1357346234' post='1203474']
Not a round 1 option but what y'all think of Denard Robinson at RB and KR? He was a RB for Michigan last few games. Good size for speed back at 6'0 200. Obviously a dynamic athlete. Probably a 3rd round guy.
[/quote]

I'd use a third on him.

No way Mathieu in the 3rd. The Bengals don't need to take a risk on a guy like him that high. Maybe in the fifth or six round but not in the third.

As much as I like Lacy, I don't think he is with a first-round pick. There will be too many quality backs available in the second round take a running back that high.

Archived