Windows 8

There is an upgrade online for $40 which I utlizied over the weekend to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 8. Part of the instructions had me rename a program files folder, which I think after installation simply used that name for a new folder. I hardly have any memory left in the "C" drive after the install and only adding iTunes, Mozilla Thunderbird, Google Chrome and Quicken. What happens if I delete the old program folder? I am thinking that is taking up a lot of space. I moved all my photos and old doc's to the data drive.

I can attach a screen shot at some point (or at least try to) so this makes a litlte more sense.

sounds like a horrible nightmare about to happen. honestly, your only safe bet is to backup your tunes and pics and stuff and do a fresh install, there should be an option to create a recovery disk or something in there somewhere...if i learned anything when i had windows machines at home, its that a fresh install is a really really really good idea when upgrading.. every other time was a nightmare... wasted space, buggy programs and OS, slower performance.. just nasty.

Thanks for the advice....one thing I noticed was an "old windows" folder appearing, which I attempted to delete and at a certain point, even in the admin account, I wasn't able to and that would have freed up a ton of space.

Like I said, I shifted the pictures to the data drive which is "D" on my PC, so in my opinion, I should be able to format the "C" drive and reinstall Windows 8 (you get 3 installs).

• 2 weeks later...
For as cheap as it is, Windows 8 is a pretty decent speed upgrade over Windows 7. And if you buy a start menu program like Start8, it really makes it function pretty much the same as 7, just faster. I'm becoming a fan, personally

The program btw was like $6. There are free alternatives as well, but I like Start8.

I ended up having someone at work format the hard drive, back up some things, and reinstall Win 8 for me. That freed up a lot of space and thankfully, I didn't have that many programs installed to begin with when I attempted to upgrade it.

It takes getting used to. I think the issue for me is I use Mozilla Thunderbird (which is basically MS Outlook) for e-mail which can sometimes slow the PC down.

• 3 weeks later...
I honestly feel like I'm in a rehab class, Hi, my name is ..... and I bought a new computer with Windows 8. I installed a program called Classic Shell and it allows me to be fairly close to the same access I had in Vista. The only thing I am having a problem with is this board. For whatever reason I can't add a return into the sentence structure. Not sure why but this appears to be the only problem. Besides copying a return and pasting it into the sentence/paragraph is there another way ?

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1359740046' post='1212513']
I honestly feel like I'm in a rehab class, Hi, my name is ..... and I bought a new computer with Windows 8. I installed a program called Classic Shell and it allows me to be fairly close to the same access I had in Vista. The only thing I am having a problem with is this board. For whatever reason I can't add a return into the sentence structure. Not sure why but this appears to be the only problem. Besides copying a return and pasting it into the sentence/paragraph is there another way ?
[/quote]

I had the same problem using IE as the browser, installed Chrome, fixed the issue.

Archived