Give me Vick or Alex Smith in 2013

Im with Alice on this one, I cant even begin to explain how awful this is.

Vick is absolute garbage. When was the last time he played a full season? Aside from the one big game he had two years ago he has been a below average QB and an elite athlete his entire career.

Smith aside from last season has been absolute garbage, and lost his starting job to a kid who was drafted behind Dalton and one I think will prove not to be as good as Dalton when its all said and done.

Dalton has a lot of room for improvement I wont argue that, but I feel the last 5 games he was failed miserably by his coaching staff. Sure he missed throws, but he also wasnt given an opportunity to make many plays. The switch from Robinson to Cook might be the biggest reason the Bengals arent playing the Broncos this weekend. Gruden's decision not to run the last 5 weeks after what BJGE had done the 4 weeks prior is a very close second. Another thing to keep in mind is the throw Andy made to AJ on the road against Pitt (the leagues best Defense) in clutch time to set up brown for the GW field goal. That was a huge moment in his career and a big step. I think that this team is a few pieces away from being legit. Dalton is not the problem, he will continue to grow and develop. He has already done more in his first two seasons than any other Bengals QB, the future looks bright.

On offense the O-Line needs to be rebuilt, Alexander and Jon Hayes need to be shown the door. Gresham needs to learn to catch or they need to find his replacement. Tate absolutely cannot be on this roster next season. They need to use Hawk better, and figure out who the #2 WR is going to be. It wouldnt hurt to go after a Vet WR (should one be available) this offseason to provide stability across from AJ and to help bring along the younger guys.

On defense they need to rebuild the LB corps this team has NEVER been able to cover the middle of the field. Maualuga needs shown the door, they need to draft a replacement early for Crocker and sign Geno to a max deal. Absolutely no way they can give him an opportunity to enter FA at the end of next season.

I think that Marvin has led this team as far as he can. I would love to see him promoted to GM and see Zim get the HC job. I could honestly care less if Gruden returns, he failed this team miserably going into the playoffs.

I'm actually of the opinion Andy should get 2 more years but next year he'd better show dramatic improvement in execution and decision making. And Zampese should stop coaching pocket principles with Dalton....he's regressed in his pocket awareness since last year. You don't lose your instincts so I think it's being "coached" out of him.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1357576925' post='1205921']
x2. No hate intended to Dalton... [b]but this year I think shows a lot with regard to can he win you the big one? Is he good enough to get you there and that is it?[/b]
[/quote]

I think its a legitimate question, but I think people need to realize that its a legitimate question for pretty much every QB in their 2nd year.

[quote name='Khatmandude' timestamp='1357579181' post='1205966']
I'm actually of the opinion Andy should get 2 more years but next year he'd better show dramatic improvement in execution and decision making. [b]And Zampese should stop coaching pocket principles with Dalton...[/b].he's regressed in his pocket awareness since last year. You don't lose your instincts so I think it's being "coached" out of him.
[/quote]

certainly a guy being overlooked in all of this and what needs to be done better.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357580595' post='1205988']

I think its a legitimate question, but I think people need to realize that its a legitimate question for pretty much every QB in their 2nd year.
[/quote]

Hell until Peyton finally got his ring that was one of the major themes this time of the yet. Can Peyton win a ring???

Now I'm not comparing the two, but there is no way to ever know if a qb can do it until he does it.

Obviously dalton has his mental issues where he stops trusting guys like his line or receivers if they mess up early and he has some issues deciding when and when not to force balls and stuff. But these are things many qbs go through. At the end of the day after two seasons he has accomplished a lot more than most qbs have after 2 years. No reason to think that can't continue.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1357587759' post='1206034']
Hell until Peyton finally got his ring that was one of the major themes this time of the yet. Can Peyton win a ring???

Now I'm not comparing the two, but there is no way to ever know if a qb can do it until he does it.

[b]Obviously dalton has his mental issues where he stops trusting guys like his line or receivers if they mess up early and he has some issues deciding when and when not to force balls and stuff. But these are things many qbs go through. At the end of the day after two seasons he has accomplished a lot more than most qbs have after 2 years. No reason to think that can't continue.[/b]
[/quote]

yep. that previous QB guy went through the same thing in 2009, 7yrs into his career.

Allow me to explain myself a little. First off, it's not like I believe Vick or Smith are awesome. Far from it. But they bring intangibles that Dalton doesnt have. Experience, stronger arms, playoff wins. I'm only speaking in the immediate short term...like next year because there is no obvious value or talent in the draft this spring at the QB position. At this point, Dalton is more of a game manager than play maker. He is gun shy, lacks a strong arm and is horribly inaccurate on deep throws. Adding depth at WR wont help much with him at QB. Adding more talent on defense and at RB will. Unless Dalton improves, the only way the Bengals can be a championship contender is if thisalready very good defense becomes elite.

[quote name='sneaky' timestamp='1357588136' post='1206039']
Allow me to explain myself a little. First off, it's not like I believe Vick or Smith are awesome. Far from it. But they bring intangibles that Dalton doesnt have. Experience, stronger arms, playoff wins. I'm only speaking in the immediate short term...like next year because there is no obvious value or talent in the draft this spring at the QB position. At this point, Dalton is more of a game manager than play maker. He is gun shy, lacks a strong arm and is horribly inaccurate on deep throws. Adding depth at WR wont help much with him at QB. Adding more talent on defense and at RB will. Unless Dalton improves, the only way the Bengals can be a championship contender is if thisalready very good defense becomes elite.
[/quote]

I wonder how many people in San Diego said the exact same things about Drew Brees?

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1357588709' post='1206041']
I wonder how many people in San Diego said the exact same things about Drew Brees?
[/quote]

As good as Drew Brees is, the fact remains he was a late bloomer. If and its a big IF, if Dalton will become as good as Brees can this team and fans afford to wait for him? This franchise has seen so much failure for so long, it's hard not to get impatient when success is within the reach of our finger tips

[quote name='sneaky' timestamp='1357589929' post='1206050']

As good as Drew Brees is, the fact remains he was a late bloomer. If and its a big IF, if Dalton will become as good as Brees can this team and fans afford to wait for him? This franchise has seen so much failure for so long, it's hard not to get impatient when success is within the reach of our finger tips
[/quote]

Well, if you look objectively, Dalton is better than Brees was in his first two years(2nd and 3rd seasons), and it was his third season starting when he made his real breakthrough. To be totally frank, I think Dalton is on a learning curve as is the rest of the O, including Jay. When you consider that almost every skill player was a third year player at best(with exception being RB) and the interior of our line was the same, I think next year will be the year to see where we are.

[quote name='Khatmandude' timestamp='1357579181' post='1205966']
I'm actually of the opinion Andy should get 2 more years but next year he'd better show dramatic improvement in execution and decision making. And Zampese should stop coaching pocket principles with Dalton....he's regressed in his pocket awareness since last year. You don't lose your instincts so I think it's being "coached" out of him.
[/quote]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357580665' post='1205989']
certainly a guy being overlooked in all of this and what needs to be done better.
[/quote]

you guys have hit on something i was going to make comment about, but you beat me to it. maybe the problem isn't dalton, rather the guy whose job it is to coach him up...zampese? where is it written in stone that zampese is the cream of the crop of quarterback coaches? wouldn't he be the guy in charge of dalton's development more than anyone else? ask yourselves this, dd you see a big amount of growth out of andy from year one to year two? now keep in mind, there was very little time for much coaching in year one, since everything was done last minute and basically a fire drill due to the new CBA. but zampese had a full off season and camp this past year. how often did you watch fundamental errors in andy's game this year...repeated fundamental errors?

it's hard to do a comprehensive review of our quarterback's concerns without taking his main coach into consideration... at least it would seem so to me. keep in mind, he was the coach for the last quarterback we had here, a guy who most of us expected much bigger things from than what he ever accomplished.

[b]Peyton Manning went 1-15 his first season (as did Troy Aikman) ... Dalton went to the Playoffs. [/b]

[b]Peyton Manning didn't even win his first playoff game until his 6th year ... Does anyone think it will take Andy that long? Hell I think he will surely win 1 or 2 next year. [/b]

Step back and look at the forest. For extended periods thia season, the Bengals offense operated at a high level. That was not a statement you could make in 2011. Although only 1 game better in the win column, this year's squad was much MUCH better than last year's.

I think the problem at the end of this swason was much more about scheme than the players on the field. Jay Gruden became the anti-Brat. Ol' Bob used to pound the ball into the line for a yard at a time and then throw on third and long. Gruden seemed o be following some unwritten rule that you can't run the ball twice in one series.

Andy Dalton is not an elite quarterback. However, he's easily in the top half of starters in the NFL. Easily. With this Bengals defense, AJ Green, and the POTENTIAL of the offensive line, Andy Dalton doesn't have to get a whole lot better for the Bengals to be pretty bad ass. That said, if the Bengals don't run the ball more often moreso than more effectively, they'll never reach their maximum potential.

I'm not screaming for Jay Gruden to be run out of town, but if he's not, he needs to stop going all Andy Reid at tje end of the season.

Archived