Get rid of Marvin Lewis

I want Marvin to stay here until he wins us a Superbowl I really do. 

Look at the poor guy throughout the years. He has aged with us big time.

ospkFeatMarvinLewis.jpg

Marvin+Lewis+Cincinnati+Bengals+v+Clevel

He has put on some years. The guy gave us amazing 10 yrs and some of you want to get rid of him. Just remember what it was like before he got here and that'll tell you. 

I think I aged more than that just from the Second Half debacle 

You're talking about the beauty of eighteen year old girls now....

That is correct! Although 22-24 is my wheelhouse.

I may just let myself go now that I know we'll never win anything. The playoffs were my last bastion of hope. Now, nothing matters. Not even sexy 22 year olds. For the next few days anyway- or until Marvin is fired. Maybe I'll have a year of celibacy! Woot.

I'm really not looking forward to next year at all. I know Marvin and Gruden will be back. IMO they're a much much bigger problem than Dalton. Neither 1 of those 2 hacks can get AJ to show up when it matters. We've accomplished nothing since Marvin has been here. No one cares about winning the division. The NFL is about to make the division winner irrelevant. That's how little winning the division matters.

Marvin's philosophy is kind of outdated and the 2008 season was proof of that,but as crazy as it sound no this organization is not going to give up a coach who has taken them to the post season 3 times in a row, even tho he has failed to get over the hump 3 strait times .As right they should fire Marvin but who do you replace him with?

Which of the following make you more likely to want Marvin gone after 2014?  Which of these would have fans more frustrated this time next year?  (The hypothetical 9-7 regular seasons are assumed identical in terms of team on-field performance, by the way.)

a.  Team goes 9-7, makes the playoffs, and gets embarrassed in playoff game once again

b.  Team goes 9-7 and misses the playoffs

That is correct! Although 22-24 is my wheelhouse.

I may just let myself go now that I know we'll never win anything. The playoffs were my last bastion of hope. Now, nothing matters. Not even sexy 22 year olds. For the next few days anyway- or until Marvin is fired. Maybe I'll have a year of celibacy! Woot.

Don't do it.  I had 9 months of forced celibacy courtesy of the US Army and shaving my right palm every morning is a bitch. 

Which of the following make you more likely to want Marvin gone after 2014?  Which of these would have fans more frustrated this time next year?  (The hypothetical 9-7 regular seasons are assumed identical in terms of team on-field performance, by the way.)

a.  Team goes 9-7, makes the playoffs, and gets embarrassed in playoff game once again

b.  Team goes 9-7 and misses the playoffs

Would we feel better about this team today if they'd missed the playoffs with their 11-5 record this year, meaning Sunday never happened?  I think we would.  I assume we'd all rather our team make the playoffs than not, but that's not the question.  The question is:  do these playoff collapses leave a more bitter taste in our mouths than if the season ends with no playoffs?

I don't think it matters.  I imagine they've previously agreed that this contract is Marvin's last hurrah in Cincinnati, win lose or draw.

I don't think it matters.  I imagine they've previously agreed that this contract is Marvin's last hurrah in Cincinnati, win lose or draw.

I have to think that the only thing that saves Marvin is a playoff win and worst case a great showing in the next game if it were any other owner.   Actually, if it were any other owner, Marvin would have been gone after the 2010 season.

I have to think that the only thing that saves Marvin is a playoff win and worst case a great showing in the next game if it were any other owner.   Actually, if it were any other owner, Marvin would have been gone after the 2010 season.

Marvin said that himself in an interview, if I'm right. He got a restart and seemingly some more power. It hasn't worked as well as either you or I would have liked, especially this year, but if I'm correct, it's the first time we've been to the playoffs 3 years straight, it's the best three year record in team history, and we have a good, solid team. Not great, but solid. We've gotta get more consistent, though, and for the players, that starts with the leaders, which should definitely include both Andy and AJ, along with the leaders.

• 8 months later...

Marvin will be back. But he shouldn't be. His teams have consistently come up small when the lights have been brightest since he has been here.

That's a huge problem.

Same problem. 

Always the same problem. 

Eternally the same problem.

Coaches change. Players change. Marvin remains, the problem remains the same.

Great guy, builds a nice roster, and completely clueless at how to have his team ready to play when the lights are bright and the opposing team is focused and emotional. 

I guess we hope next time Charlie Brown kicks the football before Lucy pulls it away, but we know he won't. And we can hope Marvin figures something out, but we know he won't. But we hope. 

It's all we can do, because he isn't going anywhere. 

It's our own version of Groundhog Day. 

Holy Shit.  And this is the truth.  I read Houston on the first page and thought it was a typo. It wasn't until I was on the fourth page that I realized this was LAST YEAR's THREAD.

Fuck me.  Everything holds.

I'd just add Jay Gruden to the "need someone else" pile.

This is year 3 that this thread will be relevant.

And year 3 where nothing will change.

I hope this time we kick the football and it doesn't get pulled away. Maybe this time!

Same problem. 

Always the same problem. 

Eternally the same problem.

Coaches change. Players change. Marvin remains, the problem remains the same.

Great guy, builds a nice roster, and completely clueless at how to have his team ready to play when the lights are bright and the opposing team is focused and emotional. 

I guess we hope next time Charlie Brown kicks the football before Lucy pulls it away, but we know he won't. And we can hope Marvin figures something out, but we know he won't. But we hope. 

It's all we can do, because he isn't going anywhere. 

It's our own version of Groundhog Day. 

Sad, but true.

On to Carolina.

HIstoric Note:  Since this is a bumped thread and people will be reading this years into the future.   This was my attempt to inteject humor into a sad topic.    The reference is to Bill Belichek's attitude after the Pats got their ass whooped by the Chiefs prior to playing and beating Marvin Lewis's ass on Sunday Night (He repeatedly said "On to Cincinnati)      Right now (October 6, 2014 at 9:31) the comment is self explanatory but we will need this reminder when this thread reappears next.

If Marvin continues to coach into the foreseeable future, and this team keeps coming up small balls in big games, both of which seem likely, then, yes, this thread will keep getting bumped.

Sure do hope Marvin can fix the issues at some point!

11 years clearly not long enough!

Last night was brutal. Near the end of the telecast, though, I think across Collinsworth said it best... "No one was going to beat the Patriots tonight." There's no need to reset all the odds that were stacked against the Bengals. Marvin Lewis should take very little of the blame for this debacle, though.

I knew it was going to rough when Nugent missed SHORT from 52 yards. I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out how an NFL kicker does that.

Add in 3 fumbles, a dropped touchdown pass, and a dropped pick six... On the road against ANYBODY, that's a wrap. When that anybody is a pissed off Tom Brady-led Patriots team, it's gonna be ugly.

Emmanuel Lamur was a step late all night. However, the linebacker that REALLY got abused was Vinny Rey. He didn't get off a block all night.

There were obviously issues with the fed novae mic'd helmet last night. The Patriots recognized that and exploited it with quick snaps. And on offense the Bengals couldn't ever speed up the pace because it was just too loud.

Take a look at the sack the Bengals gave up. I'd love to know what Andrew Whitworth was thinking he engaged, then broke away to block... no one.

I can't put any of the above on Marvin Lewis. It was guys playing uncharacteristically bad football. They weren't suddenly "coached" to do this. In terms of being emotionally ready, a coach can only do so much. I don't know that Knute Rockne could have matched the fire the Patriots had last night. On top of that, you've got to think that, after expecting to get Burfict and Jones back, some of the wind had already been taken out of the Bengals' sails.

It was just a bad night.

In all this darkness, there was something beautiful. Andy Dalton never panicked. The harried, bad decision-making "Bad Andy" never materialized. In fact, except for one overthrown wheel route to Gio Bernard, it's hard to find fault in anything Dalton did last night. That's a big fucking deal.

Now, I know there's a whole host of folks that are going to cite prime time records and catalog playoff losses - here, in the media, and everywhere else. Have at it. The Bengals deserve it. But I still think this is a 12+ win team that will go deep into the playoffs.

Archived