23 years of misery and counting........

Firstly - congrats to the Texans.....too good yet again for us today.......

So Im 42......been a Bengals fan for the better part of 30 years and are really beginning to wonder if I will live long enough NOT for the Bengals to win a Superbowl......but even a Playoff game......

I had the opportunity this year to go to games in Houston (vs Titans)....@ Dallas (vs Bears on mnf) and cincy (vs Dolphins) and the atmosphere in Cincy compared to the others isn't even close......

I left the game incredibly disappointed by the lack of "interest" of the home fans......but this game today....and 23 years of futility I guess really explains it.......

Man......4th and 11 and you throw underneath??? Seriously????

I used to tell myself the heartache will be all worth it in the end........now I just wonder if the heartache is just going to ALWAYS be "heartache"......

NO TEAM does it like the Bengals.......Stanley Wilson pre SB23......hell my first ever game (old Riverfront Stadium....Week 1.......delay of game penalty on the 1st offensive play).......Chris Henry.......hell even this year Sanu's injury just as he was coming on.......It seems there are "snake bit" teams and then there are the Bengals who DO IT like no one else.....

Oh and like someone else said.....seriously......can we EVER cover a TE!!!!

Thanks for listening guy.....see you all back here for another year of misery in 2013!!!

[quote name='oz_bengal' timestamp='1357434150' post='1204817']
Firstly - congrats to the Texans.....too good yet again for us today.......

So Im 42......been a Bengals fan for the better part of 30 years and are really beginning to wonder if I will live long enough NOT for the Bengals to win a Superbowl......but even a Playoff game......

I had the opportunity this year to go to games in Houston (vs Titans)....@ Dallas (vs Bears on mnf) and cincy (vs Dolphins) and the atmosphere in Cincy compared to the others isn't even close......

I left the game incredibly disappointed by the lack of "interest" of the home fans......but this game today....and 23 years of futility I guess really explains it.......

Man......4th and 11 and you throw underneath??? Seriously????

I used to tell myself the heartache will be all worth it in the end........now I just wonder if the heartache is just going to ALWAYS be "heartache"......

NO TEAM does it like the Bengals.......Stanley Wilson pre SB23......hell my first ever game (old Riverfront Stadium....Week 1.......delay of game penalty on the 1st offensive play).......Chris Henry.......hell even this year Sanu's injury just as he was coming on.......It seems there are "snake bit" teams and then there are the Bengals who DO IT like no one else.....

Oh and like someone else said.....seriously......can we EVER cover a TE!!!!

Thanks for listening guy.....see you all back here for another year of misery in 2013!!!
[/quote]

Ah, it's not so bad. They are still young, and they've got some work to do, but I still think the future is bright.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1357436687' post='1204969']
Ah, it's not so bad. They are still young, and they've got some work to do, but I still think the future is bright.
[/quote]

Yeah I know from a rationale perspective...........your right Tex.....

Just seems we are always "young and upcoming" until we screw it somehow...........

This team is always young and always up and coming. I am fed up with that excuse. I have watched them since '68 and other than the two SB appearances which happened before Moses parted the Red Sea this organization has done nothing but dissapoint. When we have a chance to do something we hire a scrub in Gruden who MB thinks has pedigree because of his name. Seems he did this before with a guy name Shula and how did that turn out? Mike needs to turn the team over or die. We are doomed as long as he is involved with day to day decisions regarding this team.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1357438945' post='1205026']
Agreed on both counts, but I am a lot more optomistic about this team as constituted, than I was about the '05 team.
[/quote]

Same here. For all the talent that team had, it lacked discipline, both on the field and off. I do think there are guys with character on the team now, but so far we haven't seen the results. That needs to change...quickly.

[quote name='oz_bengal' timestamp='1357437618' post='1204991']

Just seems we are always "young and upcoming" until we screw it somehow...........
[/quote]

There are only a couple teams that have made the postseason 3 of the last 4 years. Additionally, the Ravens and Steelers are breaking down. The Bengals should own the AFC North for a few years.

There are a couple of position groups that need attention, but gone are the days of completely rebuilding or even addressing multiple holes.

Today fucking sucks. The future's bright, though.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1357438945' post='1205026']
Agreed on both counts, but I am a lot more optomistic about this team as constituted, than I was about the '05 team.
[/quote]

I really hope your right Kenneth........

I think this offseason is one of those critical moments that the team has in the past often screwed up........

What do you with with Andre.....Rey (dear god REY!!).....MJ......whilst also at least beginning to think / finalise extensions for Geno / ?? Dunlap / etc........

We KNOW for a fact we arent going to attract or even attempt bringing in any big name FA's.......so what we do with our own guys is going to be critical...

[quote name='oz_bengal' timestamp='1357437618' post='1204991']

Yeah I know from a rationale perspective...........your right Tex.....

[/quote]

Since when? Maybe people said that all the time in the past but it wasn't true.

This is the first time in my life span as Bengal fan they've been this consistent.

This team deserves better support on home game days. I know it sucks today but all other top Bengal moments have been flashes. This is simply somthing we have not experienced and next steps may never come or bring frustration as they fall short.

This could be the beginning of a 90s Steelers type run in which saw them fall short plenty of times before 05.

I got off work...drove straight to the bar. I was welcomed by a Texans fan I had spoken with at work the day before. He told me that he thinks if we had a stronger run game, we could have won that game. I, too, agree with this. Most do. I know we need someone to take some heat off AJ, but I think we can do that in the form of a RB that can be respected for potential home run type ability that BJGE simply does not have.

[quote name='ButchWalkerRokks' timestamp='1357453797' post='1205256']
I got off work...drove straight to the bar. I was welcomed by a Texans fan I had spoken with at work the day before. He told me that he thinks if we had a stronger run game, we could have won that game. I, too, agree with this. Most do. I know we need someone to take some heat off AJ, but I think we can do that in the form of a RB that can be respected for potential home run type ability that BJGE simply does not have.
[/quote]

agreed. I don't think BJGE is the problem (though would like someone to complement him), but you absolutely can't go into a hostile crowd with a young QB, young team in general, and only run the ball 12 times. It's not like it was a blowout and they had to catch up by passing.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357488894' post='1205374']
agreed. I don't think BJGE is the problem (though would like someone to complement him), but you absolutely can't go into a hostile crowd with a young QB, young team in general, and only run the ball 12 times. It's not like it was a blowout and they had to catch up by passing.
[/quote]

BJGE is servicable, but could easily be upgraded. i like how hard he runs and works, but he doesn't have great breakaway speed. look at his 20 yard run. foster on the other end would have likely taken that one a lot further. it would just be good to have a speed option. not sure who that is, and not sure it would matter if they are only going to give them the rock 12 times.

[b] [size=6]How long has it been since the Cincinnati Bengals last won in playoffs?[/size][/b]

The Cincinnati Bengals continued their playoff victory drought on Saturday, losing an AFC wild card game to the Houston Texans, 19-13.

No NFL franchise has gone longer without a playoff win than the Bengal's 22 years.

Boomer Esiason, Ickey Woods and Anthony Munoz led the franchise to its last postseason victory on Jan. 6, 1991. How long has that been? Here's a comprehensive breakdown.

[b][u]Days[/u][/b]

[b][u]Games played[/u][/b]

[b][u]Now-defunct team played in last playoff win[/u][/b]
Houston Oilers

[b][u]Starting quarterbacks[/u][/b]
15 (Boomer Esiason, David Hollas, Erik Wilhelm, David Klingler, Jay Schroeder, Jeff Blake, Neil O'Donnell, Paul Justin, Akili Smith, Scott Mitchell, Jon Kitna, Gus Frerrote, Carson Palmer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton)

[b][u]Guys named "Johnson" on roster[/u][/b]
15 (Brandon, Chad, Donnell, Doug, James, Jeremi, John, Landon, Larry, Lee, Michael, Riall, Rudi, Tank, Tim)

[b][u]Playoff victories by teams that didn't exist in 1991[/u][/b]

[b][u]Current Pro Football Hall of Famers whose careers hadn't yet started[/u][/b]
3 (Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin, Willie Roaf)

[b][u]Average annual retail price of gas[/u][/b]
$1.14

[b][u]Things that hadn't happened yet[/u][/b]
• Gulf War
• Mikhail Gorbachev left power
• Dow Jones topped 3,000
• Magic Johnson announced he has HIV
• Comedy Central, Super Nintendo, Crystal Pepsi launched

[b][u]Past events that were closer to the Bengals' last playoff win than today[/u][/b]
• Moon landing
• Woodstock
• [i]The Godfather [/i]released (the book)
• Beatles break up
• Floppy disk, Post-It Notes, bar-code scanner invented

[b][u]Still alive[/u][/b]
Red Grange, Paul Brown, Miles Davis, Freddie Mercury

[b][u]Not born[/u][/b]
Kyrie Irving, Anthony Davis, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Lautner, Orson Charles (youngest player on Bengals roster)

[b][u]No. 1s[/u][/b]
Song — [i]Justify My Love[/i], Madonna
Album — [i]To The Extreme, [/i]Vanilla Ice
Movie — [i]Home Alone[/i]
TV show — [i]Cheers[/i]
College football — Colorado (AP), Georgia Tech (UPI)

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/05/since-cincinnati-bengals-last-won-playoff-game/1811443/?sf8376778=1"]http://www.usatoday....43/?sf8376778=1[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1357822764' post='1206938']
[b] [size=6]How long has it been since the Cincinnati Bengals last won in playoffs?[/size][/b]

The Cincinnati Bengals continued their playoff victory drought on Saturday, losing an AFC wild card game to the Houston Texans, 19-13.

No NFL franchise has gone longer without a playoff win than the Bengal's 22 years.

Boomer Esiason, Ickey Woods and Anthony Munoz led the franchise to its last postseason victory on Jan. 6, 1991. How long has that been? Here's a comprehensive breakdown.

[b][u]Starting quarterbacks[/u][/b]
15 (Boomer Esiason, David Hollas, Erik Wilhelm, David Klingler, Jay Schroeder, Jeff Blake, Neil O'Donnell, Paul Justin, Akili Smith, Scott Mitchell, Jon Kitna, Gus Frerrote, Carson Palmer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton)

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/05/since-cincinnati-bengals-last-won-playoff-game/1811443/?sf8376778=1"]http://www.usatoday....43/?sf8376778=1[/url]
[/quote]

It's Donald Hollas.

Fucking lame article.

Gee...why don't they do one for the Chicago fucking Cubs...should fill about 5 pages.

Hell, for that matter, do one for the Chicago fucking Bears too.

You all know what will happen when we do finally win a playoff game...it will then be [b]only one[/b] playoff win in fill-in-the-blank-years.

This shit makes my head explode.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1357825658' post='1206948']
Fucking lame article.

Gee...why don't they do one for the Chicago fucking Cubs...should fill about 5 pages.

Hell, for that matter, do one for the Chicago fucking Bears too.

You all know what will happen when we do finally win a playoff game...it will then be [b]only one[/b] playoff win in fill-in-the-blank-years.

This shit makes my head explode.
[/quote]

The beloved CUBS ( Completely Useless by September ), Lovable Losers, They have white flag if they actually win, Although they haven't won since 1908... It's only been 104 years..., Their curse is a Billy Goat (Bengal's curse is Mike Brown)

In other words, there are 50 kazillion articles about the Cubs. ...and yes they are my favorite baseball team. I hate my life :ninja: For once, I just want to win...

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1357861988' post='1207143']
The beloved CUBS ( Completely Useless by September ), Lovable Losers, They have white flag if they actually win, Although they haven't won since 1908... It's only been 104 years..., Their curse is a Billy Goat (Bengal's curse is Mike Brown)

In other words, there are 50 kazillion articles about the Cubs. ...and [b]yes they are my favorite baseball team[/b]. I hate my life :ninja: For once, I just want to win...
[/quote]

You realize this makes you suck in some small way......

:ninja: (sorta)

[quote name='Numbers' timestamp='1357923133' post='1207357']
... I must be a masochist. I guess I enjoy being humiliated year after year... 1/2 :ninja:
[/quote]

Just razzin ya... I have a special hate for cubs fans, though they are cleaner and generally less inbred than steeler fans.

Archived