Dalton question

I'm not anti dalton, but I'm also hesitant to think he will win a championship for us.

My biggest question though is on how many pass plays did he throw to his first look? It just seems like every frickin play he looks at one guy and if that guy isn't open he looks for a way to get out of the pocket or run. He doesn't seem good at going through his progressions.

I know it's only his second year and his oline def didn't help him much the last 5 games or so. My main question though is how much of a concern is it going forward?

There are issues with Dalton. You can tell that by comments from commentators.

I know his pocket and scrambling sucks. There were just too many small sacks that I think could have been avoided. I do think the line owns some too.

INT of course are an issue. We rag Carson for pick 6s. Dalton had plenty of his own.

Back to JBs question and comments from commentators. There is and issue with recognition.

Watching that game last night. My biggest concern. Aside from the outcome. Dalton's play was so bad that he's going to face criticism. Pending how he handles it, he could easily go from promising young Qb to a cluster fuck.

Look at Sanchez. First two years in the AFC Championship game. Expectations rise and he melts away.

I seriously hope Dalton doesn't. As a Bengal fan we can't dismiss the offenses performance at the end of the year. In the two biggest games (Pitt and Houston) defense scores only TD.

Dalton is in his 2nd year guys and gals. While I'm less than thrilled with the offensive performance over the last 5 weeks I'm putting most of the blame on the o-line and Gruden. Dalton needs to be more accurate, but in fairness since Cook returned to the lineup he has had very little time and Gruden has failed to call a decent game during that same period. I have confidence in Andy, but clearly he needs help. BJGE ran well yesterday when he was given opportunity. Gruden completely abandoned the run. The last 5 weeks I cant remember a single time he called a screen to Gresham, Hawkins, or Leonard to counter the opposing teams rush. Bottom line.... Andy needs to get better and I believe he will in his 3rd year, but Gruden has to do a much better job of putting this offense in a position to succeed.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1357478863' post='1205283']
Dalton is in his 2nd year guys and gals. While I'm less than thrilled with the offensive performance over the last 5 weeks I'm putting most of the blame on the o-line and Gruden. Dalton needs to be more accurate, but in fairness since Cook returned to the lineup he has had very little time and Gruden has failed to call a decent game during that same period. I have confidence in Andy, but clearly he needs help. BJGE ran well yesterday when he was given opportunity. Gruden completely abandoned the run. The last 5 weeks I cant remember a single time he called a screen to Gresham, Hawkins, or Leonard to counter the opposing teams rush. Bottom line.... Andy needs to get better and I believe he will in his 3rd year, but Gruden has to do a much better job of putting this offense in a position to succeed.
[/quote]

I agree that Dalton needs to be better, but in the 2nd half of the year especially, the pass pro really regressed, Hawkins disappeared, they lost Sanu... And the play calling was suspect quite a bit. If they run the ball more in 2H vs Dallas, (one example), that's a win.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1357479522' post='1205285']
I agree that Dalton needs to be better, but in the 2nd half of the year especially, the pass pro really regressed, Hawkins disappeared, they lost Sanu... And the play calling was suspect quite a bit. If they run the ball more in 2H vs Dallas, (one example), that's a win.
[/quote]

We especially regressed after Cook returned to the lineup, ...that being said, ...Dalton is Jon Kitna part II.

Ken Anderson and Boomer Esiason would have found a way to win this game.

Dalton needs to get better, but things around him also need to get better. No way should BJGE only have 11 rushes in a game like this.

Gresham had 3 drops, and on another stopped on his route which led to a sack (would have been wide open too and Dalton was looking for him). Green quit on a route that led to an INT (and he continues to suck in run blocking).

Further, this team has continually failed to gameplan to neutralize opponent's pass rushes whether it be effective screens, slants, draws, and whatnot.

Dalton needs to get better, but he also needs to get more help than he's gotten.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357481933' post='1205294']
Dalton needs to get better, but things around him also need to get better. No way should BJGE only have 11 rushes in a game like this.

Gresham had 3 drops, and on another stopped on his route which led to a sack (would have been wide open too and Dalton was looking for him). Green quit on a route that led to an INT (and he continues to suck in run blocking).

Further, this team has continually failed to gameplan to neutralize opponent's pass rushes whether it be effective screens, slants, draws, and whatnot.

Dalton needs to get better, but he also needs to get more help than he's gotten.
[/quote]

Kenny Anderson took abuse (almost got his head twisted off) but he still got the job done.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1357481625' post='1205291']
We especially regressed after Cook returned to the lineup, ...that being said, ...Dalton is Jon Kitna part II.

[/quote]

Kenny Anderson and Boomer Esiason had much better lines in front of them.

A lot of Andy's weaknesses and shortcomings will improve when he has a better offensive line.

I feel like a prophet of sorts because I have been clamoring for a top notch Center since last year's draft.

I did not like Dalton's performance, but think many QBs would have struggled in our offense yesterday. Our pass pro sucked and the running game sucked or was abandoned.

Listen to how teams beat Brady, manning or Jen----rattle the qb! Houston did that to us and we had no answer. Dalton is the same guy that lit up several teams this year (Giants, Raiders) when the offense played better. I do believe Andy needs to get better, especially with the deep ball. But, this was not all on him.

I cannot compare him to Kit. Kit never got us to the playoffs and was surrounded by better overall talent. Andy has AJ. Kit had chad, TJ, Rudi, and a pretty good O line-----Willie, Levi, Bobbie, braham.

We need to draft a lot of offense in April and fill a couple defensive holes-----LB, safety.

One more thing, this team has to learn to play in prime time. Any time they are not playing at 1:00 Sunday, things don't look good. Maybe that is coaching?

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1357482662' post='1205301']
I still don't think Cook is 100% and I suspect they won't try to replace him this draft just because they know he isn't.
[/quote]

Maybe he is not, but why did Trevor not get more playing time? We looked better in games that Trevor played! Cook and Faine were bad!

No matter what, ...Dalton is our starting QB next season.

There isn't anybody to replace him where we are in the draft order.

[quote name='Jungle1' timestamp='1357482883' post='1205304']
Maybe he is not, but why did Trevor not get more playing time? We looked better in games that Trevor played! Cook and Faine were bad!
[/quote]

I agree and I don't know.

[quote name='bengals7833' timestamp='1357483122' post='1205307']
I wouldn't give up in dalton or cook yet but wouldn't be against upgrading boiling in 2nd round
[/quote]
I think Boling will be ok. It was his first NFL season and he wore down in the last few games. He was pretty good for most of the season. Travelle Wharton may end up starting at left guard next year anyways if he's healthy. Robinson could always play guard too.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1357482963' post='1205305']
No matter what, ...Dalton is our starting QB next season.

There isn't anybody to replace him where we are in the draft order.

[/quote]

Why do I subject myself to this shit?

Sorry Jeb. Don't take this personal, but that's stupid.
You call Dalton "Jon Kitna 2", then go on to say we can't draft his replacement where we draft.
Kinta wasn't drafted and Dalton was drafted about the same spot as the Raider pick we have.
See how stupid?

[url="https://twitter.com/benmaller"][b]Ben Maller[/b] ‏[s]@[/s][b]benmaller[/b][/url]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Andy Dalton, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino only players in NFL history with 20+ TD passes in each of their first two seasons.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Weird that I don't see Kitna's name there. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Seriously though. Dude is a 2nd year player and he has lead a team that hadn't went to the Playoffs [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]in back to back season for 30 years, to the Playoffs in back to back seasons. He also has done something[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]that only 2 other QBs had done before him and they're Hall of Famers. Now, I am not calling Dalton[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]a Hall of Famer. That book is still being written. But no where do I see a player that should be talked[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]about being dumped and moving on or Jon Fucking Kitna. [/font][/color]

He'll be our starter next year, ...I'll back him but I'm starting to believe Go was right.

This also is the smallest draft group of starter quality QB's to come out in a while and the Bengals have never been shy about bringing in a quality backup QB. This draft, ...you won't find quality in the mid to latter rounds.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1357482431' post='1205299']

Kenny Anderson and Boomer Esiason had much better lines in front of them.

A lot of Andy's weaknesses and shortcomings will improve when he has a better offensive line.

I feel like a prophet of sorts because I have been clamoring for a top notch Center since last year's draft.
[/quote]

Typical. Dalton owns more of the problem than o-line.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1357481625' post='1205291']

[/quote]

I call bullshit on this. Revisionist history in the case of Boomer.

Look at 1985-1991. They were loaded and there isn't 1 back to back winning season or playoffs.

Boomer's ass isn't getting to the Superbowl without the defense and Bruce Smith getting hurt.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1357485056' post='1205325']
I call bullshit on this. Revisionist history in the case of Boomer.

Look at 1985-1991. They were loaded and there isn't 1 back to back winning season or playoffs.

Boomer's ass isn't getting to the Superbowl without the defense and Bruce Smith getting hurt.
[/quote]

1987 was a strike year. 1988 we went to the Superbowl.

We would have made the playoffs in 1987. We would have gone to the Superbowl in 1987, ...we were red hot going into that season.

We would have had 3 trips to the Superbowl for this team, ...we got robbed, ...I'll never forget that year, ...ever!

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1357474978' post='1205272']
There are issues with Dalton. You can tell that by comments from commentators.

I know his pocket and scrambling sucks. There were just too many small sacks that I think could have been avoided. I do think the line owns some too.

INT of course are an issue. We rag Carson for pick 6s. Dalton had plenty of his own.

Back to JBs question and comments from commentators. There is and issue with recognition.

Watching that game last night. My biggest concern. Aside from the outcome. Dalton's play was so bad that he's going to face criticism. Pending how he handles it, he could easily go from promising young Qb to a cluster fuck.

Look at Sanchez. First two years in the AFC Championship game. Expectations rise and he melts away.

I seriously hope Dalton doesn't. As a Bengal fan we can't dismiss the offenses performance at the end of the year. In the two biggest games (Pitt and Houston) defense scores only TD.
[/quote]

Sanchez was never good he had the benefit of a great defense to carry him just flacco and jen the bitch from shittburge, Dalton in first two season has already surpass both of them.

Archived