Dalton question

[quote name='bengalsfan850' timestamp='1357515921' post='1205640']
i think some people need to stop playing madden on "pro" and realize that in real football you don't throw for 400 yards and 3 TDs every game, especially not when your a 2nd year player facing a really good team on the road with only 1 real weapon to throw to and your 2nd best option drops three passes
[/quote]

Surely though a starting QB in the NFL in a playoff game can muster more than 130 yards passing even with a so-called "depleted" corps of receiver options and when you abandon the run game.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1357517355' post='1205646']

Surely though a starting QB in the NFL in a playoff game can muster more than 130 yards passing even with a so-called "depleted" corps of receiver options and when you abandon the run game.
[/quote]

If guys catch the ball.

[/quote]
it is a depleted passing game...it's depleted of experiance and talent outside of AJ. i mean he's not a superstar QB and he's never gonna be but there's just so many more pieces involved to just say "well we only scored 6 offensive points on the road in the playoffs, andy sucks" you think shaub, stafford or anyone not named manning, brady, or rodgers could have done much better with the play of the other 10 guys and the plays called yesterday? i say not

The almighty, golden balled Manning had a 31 passer rating and worse all around stats in his second playoff game. Dalton throws one pass with sixteen more inches of accuracy and he gets his ass kissed for winning ugly and pulling the game out.

.Failing to keep Robinson in the starting lineup when Cook got healthy was the biggest fucking mistake. You go with the hot hand, for the love of God.

[/quote]

Carson Palmer's stats his last Playoff game

18-36 for 146 yards 1 TD, 1 INT and 1 Fumble.

Maybe I should have posted this in Onxy's retarded thread too ...

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1357527058' post='1205721']
Ken Anderson lost his first 2 playoff games, and then went 5 years without making the playoffs at all before wining his first playoff game.
[/quote]

Is 7 years less than 22?

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1357529375' post='1205743']
Pardon me if this has already been said, but if Gresham catches even half the passes thrown his way yesterday we aren't having this conversation.
[/quote]

And if he could hit AJ in the end zone when he has 2 steps on his guy...

[quote name='jojorules' timestamp='1357521828' post='1205693']
The almighty, golden balled Manning had a 31 passer rating and worse all around stats in his second playoff game. Dalton throws one pass with sixteen more inches of accuracy and he gets his ass kissed for winning ugly and pulling the game out.

[b].Failing to keep Robinson in the starting lineup when Cook got healthy was the biggest fucking mistake. You go with the hot hand, for the love of God.[/b]
[/quote]

Yep!!!!!

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1357526999' post='1205720']
Carson Palmer's stats his last Playoff game

18-36 for 146 yards 1 TD, 1 INT and 1 Fumble.

Maybe I should have posted this in Onxy's retarded thread too ...
[/quote]

which was coincidently his 2nd playoff game also :39:

Dalton certainly didn't inspire confidence with his performance yesterday. Yes, there were dropped passes and QB pressures so the blame goes all around. I just didn't like that Dalton couldn't right the ship and get it done when he absolutely had to have it. I think he struggles with pocket awareness some times and he is inconsistent at best on deep balls. He's still young and will have more chances to prove himself, but at the same time he deserves to be criticized after a performance like yesterday. My hope is that the team will try to upgrade at RB, WR, and/or OL. Putting more talent around Dalton only gives him a greater chance for success.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1357527536' post='1205726']
Is 7 years less than 22?
[/quote]

Yes. It also took Ken longer to get 2 playoff appearances than it did Andy. And it took him MUCH longer to get back to back. You can't blame Andy for the futility from 1991 until 2011.

its not a shock that Dalton, and the offense as a whole, was at its best when it had a good running game. Every young QB needs the complement of a good running game, and no young QB should be expected to carry an offense without one.

36 pass plays to 12 running plays in a game they were never out of. That's just a recipe for disaster.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1357560187' post='1205835']
Yes. It also took Ken longer to get 2 playoff appearances than it did Andy. And it took him MUCH longer to get back to back. You can't blame Andy for the futility from 1991 until 2011.
[/quote]

Not blaming Andy but I have been a fan since 1974 when I moved here from New Orleans. We haven't won a playoff game in 22 years. I have had my fill of, "He is young or he just got here, you have to give him time". I heard it with Klingler, Blake, Akille, 7 others I don't remember, Kitna, Carson and now Andy. It is just a convenient excuse and I am tired of it. I didn't become a fan in the last 4 years. People like to proudly proclaim we have made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years and somehow that makes us a good team. Nonsense. We have played HORRIBLY in those 3 appearances and it just pisses me off.

The worst part is contrary to what many are saying, we had a decent team this year. Last year I was just happy to get in but this year I was expecting more. The reality is this team was not prepared to play the Houston Texans on Saturday and I do not blame the players. As soon as we went down by 9 I knew the game was over by the horrific play calling on offense.

Furthermore, those of you bashing our defense are out of your minds. They were on the field for almost 39 minutes. How in the world can you bash a defense that only gave up 19 points when they were on the field for 39 minutes? Our offense was putrid, Quick Quiz, did we gain more yards per pass attempt or more per rush attempt? The answer is by a margin of over 1 yard, rushing with 5 yards per attempt. 3.9 yards per pass attempt? Seriously? We were 0 for fucking 9 on third down attempts. Last time I checked, that sucks.

Sorry but as a long time fan, Saturday's performance was unacceptable. And please, don't compare us to Indy. Last year Indy was a HORRIBLE team. 30th in offense, 25th in defense. In Carson's last year we were 20th in offense, 15th in defense. Our 4-12 team was LIGHT YEARS ahead of Indy when Andy took over since we already had a decent defense and reasonably good o-line, not great but not bad.

Dalton is fine. He needs to improve. I think having a better #2 would be nice, but I wonder if its the receivers or the QB? I kind of just think in the NFL receivers are always open and it takes a special QB to find them in tight windows. I think I contradicted myself but Dalton needs to find open receivers in tight windows and in a timely manner.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1357560187' post='1205835']
[/quote]

I"m not sure team success is the best measure of the skill or worth of a quarterback, because so much depends on what and who he has around him, but if we're using team success as the measure, playoff appearances is not a fair comparison. In the early 1970s, only four teams made the playoffs, instead of six. The 2011 and 2012 Bengals teams would not have made the playoffs in that system. Furthermore, Anderson's first five teams went 8-6, 10-4, 7-7, 11-3, 10-4, and 8-6. ALL SIX of those teams were either in the playoffs or would have been under the six-team system they use today. It's not as hard to make the playoffs now as it was in those days.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1357591321' post='1206063']
Dalton isn't remotely as good as Luck is right now. He also isn't the best QB of his draft class. Newton and Kaepernick are as far ahead of Dalton as he is of Ponder and Gabbert.
[/quote]

Dalton may not be as good as Luck, but he's nowhere near as bad as you are implying. And Kap walked in to one of the best opportunities in football. As far as Newton and Dalton are concerned, QB's are judged on winning, right? Since they both started with supposedly bad teams, how can the guy that has won less, be better? Or do statistics work on Cam's sides bit not on Dalton's?

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1357591321' post='1206063']
Dalton isn't remotely as good as Luck is right now. He also isn't the best QB of his draft class. Newton and Kaepernick are as far ahead of Dalton as he is of Ponder and Gabbert.
[/quote]

Say what?

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister"][b]Lance McAlister[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]LanceMcAlister[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Get a kick out of Dalton "sucks" crowd. QB rating 13th...better than Eli, Cam, Stafford, Freeman, Cutler, Luck, Bradford. Work in progress.[/background][/font][/color]
[url="https://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister"][b]Lance McAlister[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]LanceMcAlister[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Does he need to get better? Yep. Can he? No idea. To make a final determination on QB after 34 games is stupid.[/background][/font][/color]
[url="https://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister"][b]Lance McAlister[/b][color="#999999"] ‏[/color][color=#999999][size=3][s]@[/s][b]LanceMcAlister[/b][/size][/color][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
back to back playoffs, a Pro Bowl and 3rd most TD's in 1st two yeas in NFL history and some think he's Akili Smith. Just stop.[/background][/font][/color]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1357594557' post='1206102']

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister"][b]Lance McAlister[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]LanceMcAlister[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Get a kick out of Dalton "sucks" crowd. QB rating 13th...better than Eli, Cam, Stafford, Freeman, Cutler, Luck, Bradford. Work in progress.[/background][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister"][b]Lance McAlister[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]LanceMcAlister[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Does he need to get better? Yep. Can he? No idea. To make a final determination on QB after 34 games is stupid.[/background][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister"][b]Lance McAlister[/b][color=#999999] ‏[/color][color=#999999][size=3][s]@[/s][b]LanceMcAlister[/b][/size][/color][/url][/background][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]back to back playoffs, a Pro Bowl and 3rd most TD's in 1st two yeas in NFL history and some think he's Akili Smith. Just stop.[/background][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Lance nailed it.

Not sure why you guys want to argue this but Newton and Kaepernick both had more productive seasons than Dalton, at least when Kaepernick was starting. Here's Dalton's 2012 stats.
2012 [url="http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN"]Cincinnati Bengals[/url] 16 16 329 528 62.3 3,669 6.9 27 16 46 229 87.4 47 120 2.6 4 4

Newton:
2012 [url="http://www.nfl.com/teams/carolinapanthers/profile?team=CAR"]Carolina Panthers[/url] 16 16 280 485 57.7 3,869 8.0 19 12 36 244 86.2 127 741 5.8 8 10 3

Kaepernick:
2012 [url="http://www.nfl.com/teams/sanfrancisco49ers/profile?team=SF"]San Francisco 49ers[/url] 13 7 136 218 62.4 1,814 8.3 10 3 16 112 98.3 63 415 6.6 5 9

Dalton had 3669 passing yards plus 120 rushing yards. He had 27 passing TDs plus 4 rushing TDs. He averaged 6.9 yrd per pass attempt and turned it over 20 times.
Newton had 3869 +741 yards, 27 TDs, 8 yrds per attempt and 15 turnovers. Kaepernick had 1814 + 415 yrds for the season, most in his 7 starts. He had 15 TDs, 5 turnovers and averaged 8.3 yrds per attempt. The other QBs took better care of the ball, provided a legitimate rushing threat, and didn't throw pick 6s at Dalton's rate. One had a better defense and better record, one had a worse defense and worse record but both were better players than Dalton.

Archived