Brandon Joiner out of prison

I'd love to see this kid do well.  Talk about drive, perseverance, and "I really want to be here".  What a story this would be if he becomes this years version of Burfict.

I'm pulling for him.

I forget who it was as it was like 9 months ago, but I remember reading he would have graded out as a 4th rounder just based on his on the field play.

Just a few random thoughts on the subject...

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/4/3/4178100/bengals-announce-uniform-numbers-for-five-players

If nothing looked odd above, realize that the number 49 is outside the range "normally" assigned LBs.  It is only assigned when ALL the 50s and 90s have been used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_number_(American_football)

50  Schaffer, J.K.  LB 6-0 232 22 1  Cincinnati
51  Maybin, Aaron  LB 6-4 240 25 5  Penn State
52  Moch, Dontay  LB 6-2 255 24 2  Nevada
53  Howard, Thomas  LB 6-3 245 29 8  Texas-El Paso
55  Burfict, Vontaze  LB 6-1 245 22 2  Arizona State
57  Rey, Vincent  LB 6-2 250 25 3  Duke
58  Maualuga, Rey  LB 6-2 250 26 5  Southern California
59  Lamur, Emmanuel  LB 6-4 232 23 2  Kansas State

91  Geathers, Robert  DE 6-3 280 29 10  Georgia
92  Anderson, Jamaal  DE 6-6 280 27 7  Arkansas
93  Johnson, Michael  DE 6-7 270 26 5  Georgia Tech
94  Peko, Domata  DT 6-3 322 28 8  Michigan State
95  Gilberry, Wallace  DE 6-2 275 28 6  Alabama
96  Dunlap, Carlos  DE 6-6 280 24 4  Florida
97  Atkins, Geno  DT 6-1 300 25 4  Georgia

To me it looks like a 50s and 90s number is available.  The last time and only time a Bengal Linebacker wore #49 was Guy Frazier.

Frazier made the first hit of  Super Bowl XVI on the opening kickoff causing a fumble that was recovered by teammate John Simmons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Frazier

Others have worn the 49 but were not LBs.

23,49 Bean, Robert ...................... CB ’00-01 Mississippi State
 49 Hill, Darius .......................... TE ’09 Ball State
 49 Thomason, Jeff ................... TE ’92-93 Oregon
 49 Wright, Dana .......................RB ’87 Findlay

I know, I know, its just camp and the numbers change like roulette.  I just want to be able to identify by numbers.

77099-004-D77F6DFE.jpg

Just sayin.

I forget who it was as it was like 9 months ago, but I remember reading he would have graded out as a 4th rounder just based on his on the field play.

He sounds like a guy that would learn a lot and get a lot of inspiration from playing behind Harrison, who also had to earn his way onto the field.

Thoughts on James Harrison and SLB:

I think Harrison will be a bridge at the position.  I see a 1 or 2 year deal that is incentive based.

The question is who is he a bridge to?

Maybin?

Joiner?

Moch?

Is this Moch's last chance to stay on the team?  I think so. 

Has Maybin done enough to justify keeping if we do sign Harrison?

Is Joiner the future at the position?

Do we draft someone like Chase Thomas in 4 to develop behind Harrison?

I know some will say Moch will be a DE, but I don't know.  I honestly have my doubts that he is on the opening day roster regardless.

Thoughts on James Harrison and SLB:

I think Harrison will be a bridge at the position.  I see a 1 or 2 year deal that is incentive based.

The question is who is he a bridge to?

Maybin?

Joiner?

Moch?

Is this Moch's last chance to stay on the team?  I think so. 

Has Maybin done enough to justify keeping if we do sign Harrison?

Is Joiner the future at the position?

Do we draft someone like Chase Thomas in 4 to develop behind Harrison?

I know some will say Moch will be a DE, but I don't know.  I honestly have my doubts that he is on the opening day roster regardless.

I think Maybin beats out Moch as the backup SLB.  Also wouldn't be surprised to see Moch moved to DE full time. Joiner likely a PS guy in 2013.

This is what I can see happening:

SLB: Harrison
MLB Maualuga
WLB: Burfict

Backups: Lamur, Joiner, Howard, Rey.

Bubble: Maybin, Moch

They must see something in Joiner to keep him through is prison time. Is Harrison a bridge to getting Joiner ready?

I think either Maybin or Moch will be gone by the time the season starts, and it will depend largely on Moch's migraine issues.

This is what I can see happening:

SLB: Harrison
MLB Maualuga
WLB: Burfict

Backups: Lamur, Joiner, Howard, Rey.

Bubble: Maybin, Moch

They must see something in Joiner to keep him through is prison time. Is Harrison a bridge to getting Joiner ready?

I think either Maybin or Moch will be gone by the time the season starts, and it will depend largely on Moch's migraine issues.

pretty much how I see it, sub Maybin for Joiner.  Also wouldn't shocked to see a draft pick instead of Howard.

Joiner is an UDFA who played DE at Arkansas State.  I wouldn't get too excited and pencil him in for a roster spot just yet.  

In fact, I'd add a draft pick (or two) into your equation, and make a good deal of room on your bubble: we kept 6 LB's last year and won't cary more than 7 this year.   

I hope we resign Howard in a big way.  Somewhat related to that, my big question is whether we go for a guy who more a WLB or SLB.  I've seen a few guys in this draft consistently painted as both - though those doing the painting often claim in the same breath that they wouldn't be suited for the other.  Regardless, I think we take that guy in the 2b - 4th round range.

Joiner is an UDFA who played DE at Arkansas State.  I wouldn't get too excited and pencil him in for a roster spot just yet.  

In fact, I'd add a draft pick (or two) into your equation, and make a good deal of room on your bubble: we kept 6 LB's last year and won't cary more than 7 this year.   

I hope we resign Howard in a big way.  Somewhat related to that, my big question is whether we go for a guy who more a WLB or SLB.  I've seen a few guys in this draft consistently painted as both - though those doing the painting often claim in the same breath that they wouldn't be suited for the other.  Regardless, I think we take that guy in the 2b - 4th round range.

It's just a hunch on my part.

It's just a hunch on my part.

I appreciate that.  Nothing gets me more pumped than finding diamonds-in-the-rough. I guess it's why the draft is practically my favorite part of the season.  Which, BTW, I just found out is happening NEXT week (I thought it was this Thursday), and so now I am bummed and can barely stand the wait.

Archived