Mac Mini VS iMac - Video encoding, etc..

So... I am going to need a computer to have in my office at home. I will mostly use it for iTunes, video capture and encding, (like dumping stuff from directv receiver to mp4 for web viewing, it will have a external drive attached housing all of my music and movies to stream to my apple tv's, etc...

I love the idea of the mac mini, especially the price. i do absolutely zero gaming what so ever...

am i missing out by going with the mac mini with the intigrated[size=3] [font='Lucida Grande', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Intel HD Graphics 4000 video card vs the nvidia 650 512MB on the imac? the price is nearly DOUBLE, so if im not going to be mssing out on something or getting way worse performance... both would have the i7 quad core 2.3 processor and both would have 16gb ram..[/font][/size]

i would also be doing the fusion drive with either one.

thoughts?

I'm inching towards a similar move, although I'll be doing far less encoding. Mostly, I want a low power machine to hold iTunes. I'll still use the desktop for heavy lifting, but really want to turn it off when I'm not working.

I keep delaying in the hopes Apple really will release a new Mac Pro this year. My hope is they'll come up with something powerful, but way less beastly in size, weight, and power consumption.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1358510091' post='1209210']
I'm inching towards a similar move, although I'll be doing far less encoding. Mostly, I want a low power machine to hold iTunes. I'll still use the desktop for heavy lifting, but really want to turn it off when I'm not working.

I keep delaying in the hopes Apple really will release a new Mac Pro this year. My hope is they'll come up with something powerful, but way less beastly in size, weight, and power consumption.
[/quote]

Yea it seems you can beef up everything on the mini except the video card. multiple hard drives, quad core i7, 16gb ram, etc. just mediocre video power.. im not sure it would be a HUGE deal.. but id prefer not be in an imac, i can get a mac mini decked out and a 27" nice monitor for less than the 21" imac..... just the iMac has the better video card options.

i have about 6 weeks to figure it out... i love the size of the mini..

thanks, so the mac mini will be perfect. all i do is use a Elgato HD Capture USB device into the macbook pro (soon to be mac mini instead) and it encodes it via the usb box, so its a hardware capture/encode i guess, sometimes im watching whats being encoded/captured via the program elgato supplies, but its a 400 x 600 window typically...

thanks again

tax return time is comin!

Archived