Who Are You Scouting? 2013 Draft

RB Zac Stacy - really growing on me.  In 2011 he led the SEC in YPC, which was even better than Richardson.  Nice combo of speed and power.  Would be a nice upgrade to the depth chart.

Potential 2013 RB depth chart:

Benjarvis Green Ellis

Jonathan Franklin

Zac Stacy

Cedric Peerman

Scouting the top safeties, and boy is this deep draft at S imo:

Vaccaro - Don't think he will be at 21 so what's the point!

Cyprien - Similar to Vaccaro, do everything, not flashy, not as physical in the tackle imo as everybody makes out but makes the play, however some of his plays (particularly in coverage) were down to mistakes by the receiver which made him look good rather than him making the play, so I'm a little 'ho hum' on him right now.

Elam, Reid - Flashy, hard hitting, physical, not fundamentally sound as tacklers

Shemarko Thomas - Good tackler and physical but poor angles in run game at times really stand out.  Less polished than people think.  A little overrated imo.

Tony Jefferson - His tackling is top notch but he doesn't have the physicality of Elam, Reid, Swearinger and reminds me of Crocker in that respect.  He just doesn't stand out for me.

DJ Swearinger - Physical, good tackler, good in coverage, always in right place to make a play, flashy but backs it up with solid fundamentals imo.  A lot of the penalties he draws in games seem to be bad decisions by the referees (and the commentators have acknowledged that on occasion).  Also, he has alleged maturity issues but I'd trust Zimmer on this one to reign him in and focus his energy more.  This guy is underrated imo.

Best fit:

Swearinger

Elam

Cyprien

Reid

Jefferson

Thomas

I'd go:

Elam

Reid

Swearinger

Cyprien

as far as best Bengals fit goes, but that's just me.  I think how it all shakes out is really going to depend on team fits.  Vacarro's the top dog, but most everyone after that could go in any order because they have different strengths and are different fits.

IMO the clear SS capable safeties in the draft (which the Bengals are looking for), are Vacarro, Elam, Reid, and Swearinger.

Cyprien and Rambo I see more as FS's, which Reggie Nelson plays.  

i know Marvin likes to say the safety spots are interchangeable, but when you watch the way Zimmer uses them, they really aren't.

Another pick that has me intrigued is Brandon Jenkins out of FSU.  Went down in the 1st game of the year with a lisfranc injury.  Did his workout at FSU proday on March 19.  Not fast not flashy but his speed was really no different from his playing days.  He is healed in other words, I think.  Being on the same team as Werner and Carradine, he (Jenkins) lead the team for two seasons before getting injured.

Projected as a OLB but was a DE in College and I think it also said he only played LB in High School.  Supposedly was privately worked out with the Ravens and Lions (?) could be taken as early as the second round (rumor).  Projected in other news to be a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Here are a few things on him;

(Florida) State announced that Jenkins would not play again Saturday but otherwise did not provide a timetable for his return. The 6-3, 260 pound Jenkins has racked up 21.5 sacks over the past two seasons for the Seminoles, earning First Team All-ACC honors after each of those efforts. Jenkins has an explosive burst off the snap but lacks great strength at the point of attack and is therefore graded by NFLDraftScout.com as the No. 4 outside linebacker prospect of the 2013 draft. - Rob Rang,

A starter for the past 27 consecutive games, Jenkins has led the 'Noles in tackles for loss and sacks the previous two seasons. Jenkins enters his final season in Tallahassee ranked eighth in program history in tackles for loss (36.5) and eighth in sacks (21.5). - FSU football

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/pyrnotes.php?pyid=89643&draftyear=2013&genpos=OLB&startspot=10

FSU pass rushers have a tendency to bust. Reinard Wilson is one that hurt us. Jenkins seems like kind of a tweener who would maybe have a shot in a 3-4, but not sure what we would do with him.

I'm starting to warm up to Elam. I think big hitting Safeties can actually be a liability in today's game. A guy like Taylor Mays who made his name head hunting is just a liability. With Elam, in watching him more closely, I am really impressed how low he gets. He has big hits, but they aren't the type that are going to draw flags. He might be the rare S in today's NFL who can intimidate physically without drawing a bunch of flags.

FSU pass rushers have a tendency to bust. Reinard Wilson is one that hurt us. Jenkins seems like kind of a tweener who would maybe have a shot in a 3-4, but not sure what we would do with him.

I'm starting to warm up to Elam. I think big hitting Safeties can actually be a liability in today's game. A guy like Taylor Mays who made his name head hunting is just a liability. With Elam, in watching him more closely, I am really impressed how low he gets. He has big hits, but they aren't the type that are going to draw flags. He might be the rare S in today's NFL who can intimidate physically without drawing a bunch of flags.

The thing that also impresses me about Elam is that he has better instincts and plays more sudden (faster) than any safety in this years class imo.  Despite his size he does a good enough job in coverage imo and not is not just an 'in the box' safety that some people claim.  The only thing that worries me about him is how he would handle today's big TE's in man coverage (he played mostly zone coverage at Florida).

this isn't directed at you, but I think it continues to be erroneous to call Elam "a big hitter safety".  Yes he's a big hitter, but next to Vacarro he's also the 2nd best coverage safety in the draft and as English mentioned he has great instincts.

He isn't JUST "a big hitting safety."

this isn't directed at you, but I think it continues to be erroneous to call Elam "a big hitter safety".  Yes he's a big hitter, but next to Vacarro he's also the 2nd best coverage safety in the draft and as English mentioned he has great instincts.

He isn't JUST "a big hitting safety."

I think Elam is a good prospect, but my concern with him is his height, all things being equal. That said, Bob Sanders was shorter and he was a beast (when healthy).

I just hope he's better than older brother Abe, who has been pretty pedestrian in the NFL.

I think Elam is a good prospect, but my concern with him is his height, all things being equal. That said, Bob Sanders was shorter and he was a beast (when healthy).

I just hope he's better than older brother Abe, who has been pretty pedestrian in the NFL.

while his height isn't necessarily ideal when matched up on TE's, it won't be any issue with the type of WR's he's lined up against, and his physicalness as a safety should help in making up for being an inch shorter than ideal. He's no more than an inch shorter than Crocker or Clements.

OT Brennan Williams - nice tackle prospect

OT Oday Aboushi - not quite as athletic as I'd like which will lose him some battles, but I really like the way he plays.  He straight up mugs DE's.  

RB Perry Jones - spotted him while watching Aboushi. Could be a sleeper.  He's small, but is very quick and fast, can return kicks, and is a solid receiver.

RB Kerwynn Williams - exactly the type of RB they say they want.  Can take it to the house every time he touches the ball and is also a top return man.  Definite value to a team like the Bengals.

There have been plenty of productive short safeties in this league. Bob Sanders (5'8") and currently Troy Polumalu (5'10"). Smarts and athleticism more than make up for any lack of height. And Elam has both in abundance.

If a 6'3" Taylor Mays and his robotic hips can stink up the joint, then we've got nothing to lose by drafting Elam imo.

OT Brennan Williams - nice tackle prospect

OT Oday Aboushi - not quite as athletic as I'd like which will lose him some battles, but I really like the way he plays.  He straight up mugs DE's.  

RB Perry Jones - spotted him while watching Aboushi. Could be a sleeper.  He's small, but is very quick and fast, can return kicks, and is a solid receiver.

RB Kerwynn Williams - exactly the type of RB they say they want.  Can take it to the house every time he touches the ball and is also a top return man.  Definite value to a team like the Bengals.

Check out rb Khiry Robinson (I mentioned him earlier in this thread). Real diamond in the rough. Currently round 7/ priority FA.

WR Mark Harrison - maybe a late round guy.  Couldn't get a good gauge on how good of a route runner.  Has the size, but not a lot of speed.

WR Markus Wheaton - still not sure about this guy.  has the speed and probably the route running, but is smaller than I'd prefer, doesn't block well, and drops too many catchable passes.

WR Mark Harrison - maybe a late round guy.  Couldn't get a good gauge on how good of a route runner.  Has the size, but not a lot of speed.

WR Markus Wheaton - still not sure about this guy.  has the speed and probably the route running, but is smaller than I'd prefer, doesn't block well, and drops too many catchable passes.

Harrison is the "other guy" accused of trashing the hotel room at the combine. I've seen him ranked as a 7th/UDFA.  

As for Wheaton, he impressed me during Senior Bowl practices, especially against Trufant....who repeatedly mugged him and got away with it. Wheaton kept his cool, won his share of the battles, and seemed to enjoy the scrum.

Found this nice vid of DE Mike Catapano's pro day workout, with Bengals d-line coach Jay Hayes (I think) conducting the drills.  We've already had this guy in for a visit.  Wouldn't mind him as a mid-late round DE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSAL4b8lwXM

Some highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=9gO5OAHPGZs&feature=endscreen

Interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bi73FbO_54

Found this nice vid of DE Mike Catapano's pro day workout, with Bengals d-line coach Jay Hayes (I think) conducting the drills.  We've already had this guy in for a visit.  Wouldn't mind him as a mid-late round DE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSAL4b8lwXM

Some highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=9gO5OAHPGZs&feature=endscreen

Interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bi73FbO_54

Yep, it's Jay Hayes. Catapano looked lean at his current weight, but impressive strength and he looked pretty explosive.

I guess Caraun Reid is coming back to Princeton next fall... And interestingly enough, Princeton's head coach is Bob Surace, who used to be an assistant with the Bengals. Wouldn't be surprised if they took Catapano on day 3.

Yep, it's Jay Hayes. Catapano looked lean at his current weight, but impressive strength and he looked pretty explosive.

I guess Caraun Reid is coming back to Princeton next fall... And interestingly enough, Princeton's head coach is Bob Surace, who used to be an assistant with the Bengals. Wouldn't be surprised if they took Catapano on day 3.

Welcome to the party guys!  

(You're only about a month late) :)

a talent like Patterson would be awfully hard to pass up IMO....I'd rather see them go defense with the pick in all honesty, but it certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if they grabbed a playmaker like Patterson or even Eiffert.

Archived