Facebook on an iPhone 4S

Go Skins

I have tried everything I can think of, but private messages will not display on my phone.

All the mobile settings are on, I have uninstalled/reinstalled the app multiple times, even downloaded it from iTunes last night on a PC, and nothing seems to work. I noticed that particular app is not on the notification center that all my other apps are located on. If someone replies to a post I started, it hits my phone.

Suggestions?

I don't get a 'text message' like I do with twitter when someone PM's me.

If I am logged into FB either on my phone or PC, I can see the PM's just fine as well as everything else. I cleared the cookies/history from my web browser on my phone as well.

go into the phone settings>privacy>facebook and make sure its turned on there.

then go back to settings>notifications>facebook and make sure those settings are on/accurate with what you want

then back to settings>facebook(at the bottom) make sure the slide bar is "on" then under the facebook settings button make sure all settings are proper in there..

lastly, can u go to the messages inside the app and read them? just not getting notified? if so the above settings will likely fix

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1359565726' post='1211912']
go into the phone settings>privacy>facebook and make sure its turned on there.

then go back to settings>notifications>facebook and make sure those settings are on/accurate with what you want

then back to settings>facebook(at the bottom) make sure the slide bar is "on" then under the facebook settings button make sure all settings are proper in there..

lastly, can u go to the messages inside the app and read them? just not getting notified? if so the above settings will likely fix
[/quote]

The first one was as well.
The second one, FB isn't an option there which is what I think the problem is. If there is a way to get FB to show up there, let me know, because then I think it will work.
The third one was on as well.

Inside the app, I can read the messages without a problem.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1359572315' post='1211967']
The second one, FB isn't an option there which is what I think the problem is. If there is a way to get FB to show up there, let me know, because then I think it will work.

[/quote]

did you download the 6.1 update from a few days ago?

[quote name='Bartledoo' timestamp='1359584397' post='1212075']
Try downloading the FB Messenger app. Another thing, the latest app update for facebook sucks. Half the time I don't get notifications at all. I noticed there are a lot of complaints about the latest update for iOS and Android.
[/quote]

the messenger app may work but shouldnt be necessary.

also, at this point, 300 million iphones have been sold to the world over the years, there area "a lot of complaints" for any and every problem ever invented. not knocking you mentioning it, just a sad fact these days, there was a data outage in select areas for 3-4 days off and on, and there were 11 threads started on my companies users forum about facebook not working, netflix not working, email not working, or email not working half the time(like when they left wifi areas)

not to mention when the way something works is changed, its like someone set their phone on fire....when this change first happened, note, i work for a wireless company, i had at least 5 people say the new facebook app was shitty, they cant even upload photos and the contacts arent there and the birthdays arent in the calender anymore, they shouldnt change stuff if they dont know what they are doing, etc...

all because they default privacy settings to deny access, and just didnt turn it on for the app since its "integrated"..

i also had a lady yesterday that was escalated to me for god knows why, demand i have her iphone replaced, because she never did any of the 6.0.1, 6.0.2 or 6.1 updates and doesnt think she should have to plug it in and give it an hour to update itself, replacing her phone would be faster, etc..

so in closing, the general public, when dealing with millions upon millions of people, youll easly find 1500 who broke thier own phones or arent smart enough to use it, and blame the carrier or phone maker, and then you have a 10 pages forum thread somewhere that makes it look like a real problem

back on topic though, there are a dozen issues that could cause the problem in here, from a blocked address facebook uses to send the messenger data, it could look like 3rd party data access for the carrier and be blocked on the account, a setting on the desktop sideof the facebook account.. etc..

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1359561807' post='1211894']
I have tried everything I can think of, but private messages will not display on my phone.

All the mobile settings are on, I have uninstalled/reinstalled the app multiple times, even downloaded it from iTunes last night on a PC, and nothing seems to work. I noticed that particular app is not on the notification center that all my other apps are located on. If someone replies to a post I started, it hits my phone.

Suggestions?
[/quote]

last thing to check. to see if its a phone/software issue or a facebook issue, have a friend log into thier facebook account from the root settings like you are on your device, then send them a message and see if it gets a notification, that will narrow down whether its on the phone side or facebook side...and if it works and then you log in maybe it magically fixes the glitch...

good luck

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1359572315' post='1211967']

[/quote]

So you can read the messages from the app but not when you login from just safari? Will it let you log out of facebook from the safari version?

I had a similar issue so I just use the app now.

To address a few things, yes, I updated the OS a few days ago, and FB just updated their app as well.

I can read messages from the app but I have to log into the app to know I have messages. I can log out of the app without a problem. I don't use Safari on my iPhone to get onto FB.

I went by an Apple store on Friday, they put my phone on their wi-fi, uninstalled/reinstalled the FB app (which has had 2 updates this week), and it worked then, I get home, and the option is gone in the notifications field.

I spent over an hour on the phone with AT&T which lead to Apple, I think, and they seem to think it is on FB's end.

Archived