EDIT: Assuming we don't sign a veteran in FA - Would you take a wide receiver at 21?

There seems to be a split on this board regarding if we should take at WR with our first pick of the draft. Some think we should address other needs regardless. So I just want to gage some opinion.  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming we don't sign a veteran WR in free agency, would you take a WR with the first pick of the draft?

• I would take WR at 21 - Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins - giving AJ at legit no.2 is too good the pass up.
    • Who cares about WR - let the promising rookies develop into starters - we have bigger needs to fill with the early picks.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1359571749' post='1211960']
I like Sanu and Jones and think they will turn it on next year.

I'd probabally gnash teeth over it because I think there are larger needs, but if it proved in the end to be the right call, I'd get over it.
[/quote]

Tend to agree but I also worry about what happens if jones or Sanu get hurt again. Or god forbid aj. I wouldn't be against finding another playmaker and letting jones be the first backup to both WR1 and WR2 and Sanu the slot guy with Hawkins backing up.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1359571869' post='1211962']
Tend to agree but I also worry about what happens if jones or Sanu get hurt again. Or god forbid aj. I wouldn't be against finding another playmaker and letting jones be the first backup to both WR1 and WR2 and Sanu the slot guy with Hawkins backing up.
[/quote]

I mean that's any team, cant play the what if game, you have to go with what your needs are, and I just think there are bigger needs.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1359572135' post='1211965']

I mean that's any team, cant play the what if game, you have to go with what your needs are, and I just think there are bigger needs.
[/quote]

True.

The way I look at it is if we resign Andre, mj and pacman then we have the following holes:

LB (either WLB or MLB depending on taze)
S
Change of pace RB

I think anyone drafted with the first three picks we have can fill a given hole.

Therefore if you sign a free agent starting LB S or Rb you could then potentially take a WR or another position that isn't a need with the top 3 picks.

So yes currently there are bigger needs but depending on what happens with free agency goes a long way in determining the answer to this question.

I am really torn on this one...
There are bigger needs for sure..
I like Sanu and Jones a lot, but neither one really helped take any pressure off of AJ(still really young though...and Sanu got hurt)...
If they grab a guy that early, it must be because he is a true stud receiver.... so i wouldn't really have a problem with that either.

We have so many needs.... S, OL, LB, C, RB..... I think we go LB round one with ogletree... SS Elam in 2a and a RB with 2b unless BPA is a slam dunk..... I think WR comes from FA and later in the draft... Sanu before his foot... was the man.... he opened it up in the slot and allowed Gresh to get out and freed up AJ....

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1359572540' post='1211970']
True.

The way I look at it is if we resign Andre, mj and pacman then we have the following holes:

LB (either WLB or MLB depending on taze)
S
Change of pace RB

I think anyone drafted with the first three picks we have can fill a given hole.

Therefore if you sign a free agent starting LB S or Rb you could then potentially take a WR or another position that isn't a need with the top 3 picks.

So yes currently there are bigger needs but depending on what happens with free agency goes a long way in determining the answer to this question.
[/quote]

Resign Andre, MJ, Pacman, Thomas Howard to play WILL, move Burfict over to the middle, get me Paul Kruger. Those are my priorities. I dont think the Kruger thing will happen, but you never know.

That said, that leaves a 3rd DE open, as I do think they will keep eiher Gillberry or Geathers.
It leaves S open, even if you keep Crocker I think due to his age you need someone in to groom.
It leaves RB open, and I'd like something more than a change of pace guy, Law Firm is nothing more than a short yardage back imo.

Just think there are alot more things to address than WR, even if we do alot in FA.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1359574898' post='1211985']

Resign Andre, MJ, Pacman, Thomas Howard to play WILL, move Burfict over to the middle, get me Paul Kruger. Those are my priorities. I dont think the Kruger thing will happen, but you never know.

That said, that leaves a 3rd DE open, as I do think they will keep eiher Gillberry or Geathers.
It leaves S open, even if you keep Crocker I think due to his age you need someone in to groom.
It leaves RB open, and I'd like something more than a change of pace guy, Law Firm is nothing more than a short yardage back imo.

Just think there are alot more things to address than WR, even if we do alot in FA.
[/quote]

Yeah essentially I'm agreeing but saying if we are able to fill enough holes in FA then I'd be fine getting a top WR.

I think Zimmer is good enough to make due with whatever he has. Gruden and dalton need some more talent and playmakers whether it is at Wr or Rb or hopefully both.

Beside Vaccaro, its unlikely a player at S, LB or RB will be worth 21. In that case I'd take Patterson, Allen or Hopkins or whoever they deem BPA at any position. As the prospects have settled so far, I see our 1 as a wild card that can be used wherever the talent available dictates. Our most immediate needs (S, LB, RB) can be solved in 2 (twice) and 3.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1359575243' post='1211986']
Yeah essentially I'm agreeing but saying if we are able to fill enough holes in FA then I'd be fine getting a top WR.

I think Zimmer is good enough to make due with whatever he has. Gruden and dalton need some more talent and playmakers whether it is at Wr or Rb or hopefully both.
[/quote]

Just not sure with as many FAs as we have that we will fill everything in FA either. Well see I guess.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1359575791' post='1211989']
Beside Vaccaro, its unlikely a player at S, LB or RB will be worth 21. In that case I'd take Patterson, Allen or Hopkins or whoever they deem BPA at any position. As the prospects have settled so far, I see our 1 as a wild card that can be used wherever the talent available dictates. Our most immediate needs (S, LB, RB) can be solved in 2 (twice) and 3.
[/quote]

I agree with everything you say EXCEPT Vaccaro being worth it at #21. I just don't see it. Have seen him a number of times and he's a nice player, but I don't see that other safeties that can be had later aren't as good... Or close. Just MO.

Heck, depending on who's there, I'd trade back and get another pick. Seems like the real strength of the draft is in the 30-100 range this year.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1359576152' post='1211993']
I agree with everything you say EXCEPT Vaccaro being worth it at #21. I just don't see it. Have seen him a number of times and he's a nice player, but I don't see that other safeties that can be had later aren't as good... Or close. Just MO.

[/quote]

x2. I don't see any first round Safeties in this draft at all.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if a guy like Vaccaro is still sitting there when they get on the clock at 53 in all honesty.

IMO Vaccaro ends up as a zone corner at the next level, not S.

The kid can definitely cover in short areas there's no doubt about that, but he's extremely avg in every other facet of his game.

Either way, whether at S or CB, I can't imagine him getting into the first round once teams really start breaking him down. Just my opinion.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1359578416' post='1211998']
I think Sanu is going to be a beast.
[/quote]

I agree. I think he'll be a poor-mans Anquan Boldin, but I also wouldn't be opposed to them stacking the WR spot. I'm kind of interested in Robert Woods with the 2a spot.

I would under the right circumstances.

Vaccaro is gone or stock has slipped.
No OLB or other SS is available as a value.
MJ and Andre were re-signed, or replaced in free agency.
The WR is one of the best players available.

Archived