new wireless router time - time capsule has had better days...

i have loved my time capsule, its over 4 years old now.. and its starting to shit the bed, im getting 2 bars where i used to get 4, hanging up on streamingvideo, my son is streaming nba gametime video on ipad mini and my apple tv cant stream video fast enough to stay live(not even internet video, itunes video from within the house..

i have three options im pondering

1. get the new time capsule (seems least likely since they have newer better technology around the corner

2. get the latest airport extreme station

3. get a netgear.. #2 and #3 basically cost the same..

with ever router review on amazon i see 10% of people saying this thing blows ass and doest work... i may end up tucking this thing away in the basement in the next 6 months so i want the best range and quality i can get for now..

any thoughts, advice or suggestions?

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1359870459' post='1212754']
[b]I've had great luck with my netgear WNR3500L[/b], but if your goal is 100% Apple integration I'd wait until the new time capsule comes out.

Or buy the netgear and save the receipt...
[/quote]

I have the same router. I have had it for quite a while and have had zero problems. Apple TV on other side of the house streams flawlessly...no lag

thanks for the input, its one of those things where when its having an issue ive got shit added to my cart on amazon ready to buy then it works for 3-4 weeks and i ignore it again... its just a crappy spot knowing apple has some new stuff around the corner, 802.11ac seems worth waiting for, especially with 20+ wifi devices in the house... many of which will be ac devices once thats out....

i may have a netgear router chillin in the garage somewhere still.. bought it right before i went mac, LOOKS the same as the one you listed but obviously an older version...

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1360192791' post='1213366']
so if i nab the airport extreme... and end up with a NAS storage device hooked up to it, can i use time machine the same and back it up that way just as if i had a time capsule?
[/quote]

answering my own question, yes you can, you can do time machine backups to any backup device, even a thumb drive if you have the space...

no im not going to do a time capsule, pointless, $130 more to have a 2tb hd built in... i can get a 3TB drive for that...

just depends if I can hold out for the 802.11ac version or not....

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1360252901' post='1213428']
answering my own question, yes you can,[b] you can do time machine backups to any backup device, even a thumb drive if you have the space...[/b]

[/quote]

Am I the only old person that thinks this sounds like the language from a sci-fi novel?

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1360296433' post='1213475']

Am I the only old person that thinks this sounds like the language from a sci-fi novel?
[/quote]

Yes. You are the only one. Seems to be a purple haze surrounding you. If I was more experienced there would be a cartoon about time travel with Go and others in the DeLorean ... However, in the end it is nothing more than castles made of sand...

as am i, i just want it to work really REALLY well and for a long time. so deciding what the best possible router is, and the debate for waiting on technology thats litterally around the corner is important, as i want this router to be top notch for 4-6 years into the future.. you never know what technology may bring, right now Google is offering fiber internet in KC, 1GB connection, comcast charges $199/mo for a connection 1/10th that speed. while some people on this board are using 3-5MB, that connection is 200x faster... so in 2-3 or even 5 years is all my crap going to be outdated? if i wait 6 month or spend $50 more will i be set for 10 years?

just lots of juggling..

i just placed my order for cat5e cable for my house, wiring my basement with ethernet ports for all media and computers so its not all relying on wifi, eveything should stream faster, especially in house media(downloaded movies, etc) i will be stringing 21 ethernet cables ranging from 25 feet to 100 feet throughout my house to improve our tv's, apple tv's, blu ray, etc internet performance, and prevent wifi conflicts, etc..

never thought i would have too much wifi crap in my house... in a book case by my tv i have the receiver, blu ray, apple tv, router, xbox, directv, all using wifi one way or another, and it disconnects my xbox controller, makes the directv disconnect, etc..

hard wiring as many of those as possible will boost speeds/stream quality and eliminate these type of issues..

also my wife does photography, i do some video editing, and we like storing that stuff off our personal computers, so having network storage locked away safe is important to us, so im tossing a 4 bay network drive in my basement closet which will be locked away and tied into the network, 4x 2-3TB drives for storage so 8-12GB of storage for all that media, and automatically backing up our computers daily...

#geekboner

various things. for speakers i have rocker switch sized wall plate inserts. these:

40123.jpg

but i dont like the plain white wall plates, so my whole house has these: (gladly my fireplaces has a switch by the chair im sitting in to snap a pic)

[attachment=1102:2013-02-15 21.23.08.jpg]

so 2x,3x,4x slotted versions of those ...

THEN.. for the ethernet ports and such, i have the same thing, 

they have 2x, 4, 6x holes, which can be filled with a blank square or these:

73021.jpg

which clip in.. and are flush ports... they ahve cat5e, hdmi, etc..  using thse all over the place.. just with the brushed nickel wall plates instead of the plain white ones..

So does the networking cable snap into the back of the keystone jack? 

exactly, so the cable in the wall snaps into the back, then you snap it into the wall plate insert, then screw it into the wire box in the wall, put the faceplate on, and boom, live ethernet jack in the wall...  the keystone is simple a female to female pass through

knew it... That place is awesome... No need to look anywhere else for these types of things...

99.99999% of the time that is true... occasionally amazon will have 1-2 things cheaper, and since I use shoprunner, i get free 2 day shipping at newegg.com too, so the small stuff that shipping makes outrageous can be cheaper there.. but only because of the free 2 day shipping..

i looked up my order history from monoprice, spent like $2k there over the past 3 years.. love that place..

Archived