According to Bill Polian Rey Maualuga is an "A" tier free agent

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1360510896' post='1213760']
I'm guessing that you're guessing wrong. They are professionals in the football industry, and make at least 6 figure incomes for being professionals. They don't spend 10 hours a day managing a McDonalds and then go home to talk football, it's what they do. There are probably 100 guys that are considered major free agents, they have watched film on each and every one. To think different is nonsensical. To be totally frank, if I knew what career you were in, and someone that didn't work in your industry told me something that contradicted what you said, I would consider your judgement to have more weight than theirs, because I would figure you were a professional at what you do.
[/quote]
In an ideal world maybe. Al Michaels gets paid like $ 5,000,000. And he periodically can't even pronounce players names correctly. He is a professional in the football industry doing the same job as Mayock. I'd bet Al breaksdown zero film.

[quote name='Khatmandude' timestamp='1360513154' post='1213762']
Houston identified our "A" tier free agent MLB to be as a major weakness and designed their offensive game plan around exposing him. It worked beautifully because Rey just isn't that good. It's ok to admit it. He takes bad angles, has horrible change of direction, wasted movements, can't cover, is slow to read plays.....but aside from that, he's great.

I think Polian has officially reached senility.
[/quote]
Hence me saying he must not watch any film on Rey. No one could breakdown his play and claim he is top tier.

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1360519574' post='1213780']
Hence me saying he must not watch any film on Rey. No one could breakdown his play and claim he is top tier.
[/quote]

Polian is saying that Rey isn't top tier, just that the market for inside linebackers is so thin, he'g going to get paid like he's top tier.

[quote name='bubba' timestamp='1360519459' post='1213779']

In an ideal world maybe. Al Michaels gets paid like $ 5,000,000. And he periodically can't even pronounce players names correctly. He is a professional in the football industry doing the same job as Mayock. I'd bet Al breaksdown zero film.
[/quote]

Ok, bro, think what you think. But there is a difference between an announcer and an analyst.

[quote name='jrandom42' timestamp='1360521140' post='1213782']

Polian is saying that Rey isn't top tier, just that the market for inside linebackers is so thin, he'g going to get paid like he's top tier.
[/quote]

Come on, jr, we can't have any nuance or introspective thought.

The interesting thing with Andre is that he could be paid as the highest priced RT in the league while not increasing his cap number from 2012 to 2013. The only higher paid tackles all play the left side. If the team had exercised his contract option it would have added two years to his contract for 15 million in total. With Whitworth playing LT for less than 6 mil Andre might have to take a paycut.

I swear there were threads just like this one at this time last year.
Except they were about Crocker. Then people acted like we couldn't
get along without him after he made a few plays.

Just sayin.

If Zimmer wants Rey back, so do I.

Yes he struggled in the Playoff game. But so did a lot of other people.

[quote name='kdubdub' timestamp='1360600695' post='1213893']
Do you guys watch other lbs? He is right...Rey is solid 'B'. He is going to do fine in the right system.

I remember how people had the same take on Ahmed Brooks. It's all about the system and utilizing someone's strengths
[/quote]

Rey is a huge liability in coverage. Lots of LBs are as well but the good ones make up for it with play making abilities. Stuffs, forced fumbles, occasional ints. Rey brings virtually none of that to the table.

[quote name='kdubdub' timestamp='1360600695' post='1213893']
Do you guys watch other lbs? He is right...Rey is solid 'B'. He is going to do fine in the right system.

I remember how people had the same take on Ahmed Brooks. It's all about the system and utilizing someone's strengths
[/quote]

Somewhat agree. The big strike in my opinion was being heavy at the beginning of the season.

You can have a top D with Rey as your MLB. But it is going to be tough to have an elite D without surrounding upgrades at LB or S.

It really comes down to where you want your B player. IMO, you can't have Rey, Crocker, Howard, Lawson, Nelson and expect to be anything more than what they've been.

Top 10 D that sometimes can struggle but still solid.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1360601269' post='1213894']
[b]Rey is a huge liability in coverage.[/b] Lots of LBs are as well but the good ones make up for it with play making abilities. Stuffs, forced fumbles, occasional ints. Rey brings virtually none of that to the table.
[/quote]

the scary part is, as average of a cover LB as Rey was, he was the best one on the team. They really need to fix that in the offseason.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1360592619' post='1213872']
I swear there were threads just like this one at this time last year.
Except they were about Crocker. Then people acted like we couldn't
get along without him after he made a few plays.

Just sayin.

If Zimmer wants Rey back, so do I.

Yes he struggled in the Playoff game. But so did a lot of other people.
[/quote]

Rey struggled the majority of the season with a few good games sprinkled in. He is a 4 year veteran and was the team captain on defense. Regardless of whether or not Zimmer wants him back, he is a marginal starter/decent backup at this point.

The Sideline View's Adam Caplan confirms that the Bengals are unlikely to re-sign free agent MLB Rey Maualuga.
Undisciplined and ineffective, Maualuga was one of the NFL's poorest middle linebacker starters last season. The Bengals plan to move forward with Vontaze Burfict manning the middle. Maualuga, 26, was suggested Monday as a potential replacement for Ray Lewis in Baltimore, by SI's Peter King. If Maualuga is cheap and vows [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5205/rey-maualuga#"]to play[/url] within the scheme, it might be a sensible marriage.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1360601269' post='1213894']

Rey is a huge liability in coverage. Lots of LBs are as well but the good ones make up for it with play making abilities. Stuffs, forced fumbles, occasional ints. Rey brings virtually none of that to the table.
[/quote]

Rey is a thumper. He needs to be inside on a 3-4 base team...knocking heads with guards every down. That is his strength and I always felt he was a bad match for Zimmers D. We had no business drafting him because it was a sexy pick..,not a talent fit pick.

the coverage liability is a little over blown. He cant run around with Gronk/Hernandez, Tony G, Gates (when healthy), V Davis, Jimmy Graham, etc (damn that list is starting to get long) but your right...most guys across the league can't. It is a problem because te's are winning around the league.

Archived