What Would it Take for You to Believe in God?

Enon Bengal

Any one else watch The Universe? It's either on one of the History Channels or National Geographic or one of those educational channels. This is the second time I've seen this episode 'God's Place in the Universe' or something very close to that. Two of the regulars, the one guy that looks like he would be a really cool science teacher and the one lady that looks like she would be the perfect mom to any kid, both said something very similar. Our universe is so finely tuned that it makes you wonder how it got to be that way. There's a Catholic priest on this episode who is pretty smart in his own right because he is able to talk intelligently on the topics of the program and of course he is of the opinion that this is the hand of God. The scientists both say we just don't understand what it is yet.

I'm of the opinion that the planet is just too perfect to have possibly evolved this way, but that's just me. I'll go to my grave believing in God the creator and Jesus the savior but even i would be pretty skeptical of some guy walking around saying he was Jesus. So what would it take for you to believe in God? What proof in this age of mass media would satisfy your requirement that the God, or the son of God is walking around on the planet? Miracles? Real peace on Earth? The rapture? Raising of the temple in Jerusalem over night? Everyone gets to ask God one question?

I'm sure a lot of people have said to themselves, 'I could believe in God if...' I'm curious what some of those ifs might be.

I believe in God, but not necessarily the whole "everything happens for a reason" or "God has a plan with all of us" type stuff. I believe we each control our own actions and are responsible for the way life goes. At least for the most part.

The main reason I believe is because at the end of the day even if you believe all the science stuff, Big ban theory, etc (which I do) the world had to have come from something. Even if it was the smallest particle in the world, where did that one particle come from? Even if scientist could trace everything back to one tiny thing, theres no way they could possible trace it back to a point where there was absolutely nothing.

Meh, just one mans opinion.

some sort of proof...

just because science hasnt found an answer to every question doesnt mean one doesnt exist. a fish in a pond a has no idea there are better ponds, bigger ponds, more fish just like him, millions of them everywhere, because he doesnt have the means to get there..

there could easily be 60 million earths out there somewhere.. the inability to travel there is the only thing blocking that answer.

religion is full of questions without answers. a person can only deal with so much "have faith" in life... bad things happen, good things happen, no bigger reason, only results both good and bad from previous actions..

i have an even harder time with those 9again not making a personal comment towards anyone) who buy into "yea, there is a god because of X, but the rest of those stories are probably BS.."

so either there were talking bushes, magical pregnancies, magical trees, cursing animals, killing animals to make skin, creating light before creating the things that create light, needing a day to rest, lol..

sounds more like the original politicians to me..

my kids think santa clause is real until they catch on to all those amazon boxes showing up the first 3 weeks in december. as well as the tooth fairy, easter bunny, etc... its all real until proven impossible... however religion cant be proven impossible, its based on beleiving even in the face of evidence against it.. aka "faith"..

the ability to pin all good things as blessings and all wrong doing as the work of the devil is sure convenient for those lacking accountability for their own actions,..

i wont get into the part about religion being used to fuel had and discriminate against others.. which is the ultimate contradiction..

also there are 2.1 billion "christians" in the world, and 7 billion people... buncha idiots AMIRIGHT?!?! #burnsinners #'merica!

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1360638848' post='1213990']
some sort of proof...

just because science hasnt found an answer to every question doesnt mean one doesnt exist. a fish in a pond a has no idea there are better ponds, bigger ponds, more fish just like him, millions of them everywhere, because he doesnt have the means to get there..

there could easily be 60 million earths out there somewhere.. the inability to travel there is the only thing blocking that answer.

religion is full of questions without answers. a person can only deal with so much "have faith" in life... bad things happen, good things happen, no bigger reason, only results both good and bad from previous actions..

i have an even harder time with those 9again not making a personal comment towards anyone) who buy into "yea, there is a god because of X, but the rest of those stories are probably BS.."

so either there were talking bushes, magical pregnancies, magical trees, cursing animals, killing animals to make skin, creating light before creating the things that create light, needing a day to rest, lol..

my kids think santa clause is real until they catch on to all those amazon boxes showing up the first 3 weeks in december. as well as the tooth fairy, easter bunny, etc... its all real until proven impossible... however religion cant be proven impossible, its based on beleiving even in the face of evidence against it.. aka "faith"..

the ability to pin all good things as blessings and all wrong doing as the work of the devil is sure convenient for those lacking accountability for their own actions,..

i wont get into the part about religion being used to fuel had and discriminate against others.. which is the ultimate contradiction..

also there are 2.1 billion "christians" in the world, and 7 billion people... buncha idiots AMIRIGHT?!?! #burnsinners #'merica!
[/quote]

I agree with a lot of this. The thing for me though isnt that scientist havent come up with it yet, its that even if they did get to the point where the entire universe was started there had to have been some tiny little thing to start the universe. And where did that tiny thing come from? It just appeared out of no where? No matter how small they can take back the creation of the universe back to there still had to be something, some tiny particle or something, that started it. And where did that something come from?

some sort of proof...

And then there are your dinosaurs!!!

But really... how far back does the Old Testament go? The beginning of time, yes, but the book of Genesis wasn't written at the beginning of time. It was written by someone who "knew". What if that person was never told about the dinos? Who cares the reason. Each of these people who wrote these books have their flaws, are sinners, just like you and I. Why can't they be wrong or just not totally informed? It is their interpretations of what happened or what they saw or what they heard or what they were told.

Regardless of what is true or isn't, it's an awesome thing to think/talk about. Either way, it's much greater than we can really understand.

So.. basically i need to go to church and have someone repeat an idea until I believe it?

I would probably need God to come down in whatever form God likes and do some god magic.  If I am connected to wifi,  Maybe facetime with some dead relatives.  

So.. basically i need to go to church and have someone repeat an idea until I believe it?

I would probably need God to come down in whatever form God likes and do some god magic.  If I am connected to wifi,  Maybe facetime with some dead relatives.  

No. You don't have to go to church at all. All the sermons are is just a few verses from the bible, they interpret what they mean for you, and try to put it in words, situations that is more understandable and maybe more personal to you.

Maybe magical things happen every day? Women get pregnant when they were told by doctors it's physically impossible. People live through horrible diseases and situations. Drug addicts become preachers.

Maybe it's all by chance, maybe it's a miracle.

Ray Lewis said God told him to touch Jacoby Jones before his kick off and Ray went over to him, and touched him.  I saw it on NFL Films where Ray went over to Jones, touched him with both hands, just as God had instructed and Jacoby Jones went on to run the kickoff back for a TD.  I denounced Islam at that moment and became an evangelical preacher.   I mean, what more proof do you need? 

Ray Lewis said God told him to touch Jacoby Jones before his kick off and Ray went over to him, and touched him.  I saw it on NFL Films where Ray went over to Jones, touched him with both hands, just as God had instructed and Jacoby Jones went on to run the kickoff back for a TD.  I denounced Islam at that moment and became an evangelical preacher.   I mean, what more proof do you need? 

See, miracles happen everyday.

I would probably need God to come down in whatever form God likes

God.gif

I don't believe in an anthropomorphic God. As for Jesus, I think he was a Roman soldier's rape baby but that in no way diminishes his acts or influence. In fact I think his message was that all of us are sons or daughters of God and that he was inherently no different than anyone else, just more aware. I would suggest anyone interested in the Bible do some research into the various translations and how they relate to the languages spoken at the time.

In Islam they say "There is no God but God", I believe it's part of the traditional "Call to Prayer". I agree with that. I think we are all fragments of the whole and possess the nature of God within us. I don't believe in God as an "other" and definitely not as some vengeful Sky-Daddy.

Ultimately it's up to each individual to discover for themselves and for the most part should be kept that way.

"wow this is beautiful...therefore god"

Just never made sense to me.  Our emotional awareness generates many false hypothesis about the mechanisms of the natural world.  One's feelings about the beauty of a picturesque mountain stream is a poor substitute for hydrology and macro invertebrate analysis when it comes to creating an actual characterization about the stream, its health, its history and its future.  Not sure how extrapolating this failed mechanism of understanding to the biggest possible question we could ask will help.

I believe in God but I cannot imagine he or her being this oppressive being that is depicted in ANY of the Abrahamic texts. Sorry, but if you're the asshole depicted in The Old testament, the Talmud or the Koran, I don't wish to worship your angry, murderous, jealous ass.

ALL that shit was just made up by people to control other people. 

The ONLY part of the Bible worth mentioning is the New Testament, and only then because of the message of forgiveness, which is something any thinking human being can conduct or themselves without the "help" of religion. Religion is more responsible for the deaths, suppression, starvation and oppression of so many millions of people that its no wonder modern people view it with an askance eye. Probably mostly because most thinking people have figured out that religion is complete man-made bullshit created to control hearts and minds.

But like I said...I believe in God. But not like that.

That touched me. Wow!!!!

funny_picture_1142018091_xlarge.jpeg

Archived