What Would it Take for You to Believe in God?

Enon Bengal

I havent read through this whole thing, but for me to believe in a god, that god would have to appear before me, touch my head and instantly download a shit ton of amazing information/images or whatever into my brain to prove he is real. Or give me xray vision or invisibility near the womens locker room. Something amazing amazing and mind blowing would have to happen.

I highly recommend the book "Towing Jehovah" by James Morrow.

It's the first book of the Godhead trilogy.

The plot starts with the 2-mile long body of God falling dead into the North Atlantic, thereby proving God's existence in a most unfortunate way. 

And how's that for an opener? 

Anyways, the proven existence of a now dead God pisses off the atheists and the believers for differing reasons. Believers don't want to tell their flock that God exists but is now dead. Worse, he's starting to decompose. So they attempt to keep the news secret by towing the body to the artic circle where it could be hidden but preserved.

That prompts an atheist group to disguise themselves as Pearl Harbor reenactors and bomb the body in an attempt to sink it.

Meanwhile, the hero of the story spends some time exploring God's body by driving across it in a jeep, sometimes stopping to swim in God's belly button while pondering little mysteries like why does the body of God have nipples and belly buttons.

Great book.

Spoiler alert: In the sequel to Towing Jehovah God's body is made into an amusement park attraction complete with roller coasters and a log ride.

I highly recommend the book "Towing Jehovah" by James Morrow.

It's the first book of the Godhead trilogy.

The plot starts with the 2-mile long body of God falling dead into the North Atlantic, thereby proving God's existence in a most unfortunate way. 

And how's that for an opener? 

Anyways, the proven existence of a now dead God pisses off the atheists and the believers for differing reasons. Believers don't want to tell their flock that God exists but is now dead. Worse, he's starting to decompose. So they attempt to keep the news secret by towing the body to the artic circle where it could be hidden but preserved.

That prompts an atheist group to disguise themselves as Pearl Harbor reenactors and bomb the body in an attempt to sink it.

Meanwhile, the hero of the story spends some time exploring God's body by driving across it in a jeep, sometimes stopping to swim in God's belly button while pondering little mysteries like why does the body of God have nipples and belly buttons.

Great book.

Spoiler alert: In the sequel to Towing Jehovah God's body is made into an amusement park attraction complete with roller coasters and a log ride.

I've had that book for 10 years or so and havent read it.. I'll bring it back out of mothballs and read it soon.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1345759/atheists-may-not-exist-according-to-science/

Atheists may not exist.

This rather shocking statement may seem like a bit of click-bait, but it’s actually the conclusion many scientists — some of them avowed atheists themselves — are starting to buy in to.

According to Science 2.0 writer Nury Vittachi, an examination of several scholarly findings puts forth the theory that even atheists believe in something.

IDK how a person can be a true atheist,  I am agnostic and concede that I can't know that there in fact isn't some higher power,  the fact that someone can say without a doubt that there isn't is confounding to me

As far as the OP question I would have to see hard proof and since there hasn't been any in the prior 5.4 Billion years I doubt there will be in the next 20-30 years so I will likely never believe in a god who interacts in our daily lives and watches over us like 

IDK how a person can be a true atheist,  I am agnostic and concede that I can't know that there in fact isn't some higher power,  the fact that someone can say without a doubt that there isn't is confounding to me

As far as the OP question I would have to see hard proof and since there hasn't been any in the prior 5.4 Billion years I doubt there will be in the next 20-30 years so I will likely never believe in a god who interacts in our daily lives and watches over us like 

There are actually 4 categories:

Theist:  Believes in a god/higher power and comes with specific belief sets and dogmas.  Can be monotheist, polytheist, druid, etc.  

Agnostic:  Believes that there is some sort of higher power, but does not actively worship, take part or fashion their actions based on this belief or dogma.

Atheist:  Does not believe that there is any god or higher power, but could be persuaded otherwise with solid scientific evidence to the contrary.

Anti-theist:  Believes definitively that there is no god.  

Just an interesting definition expansion I read a while back.  The one I read was much more detailed, but I seem to have the memory of a goldfish these days, but that's the gist. 

I'm an atheist with leanings towards anti-theist... 

There are actually 4 categories:

Theist:  Believes in a god/higher power and comes with specific belief sets and dogmas.  Can be monotheist, polytheist, druid, etc.  

Agnostic:  Believes that there is some sort of higher power, but does not actively worship, take part or fashion their actions based on this belief or dogma.

Atheist:  Does not believe that there is any god or higher power, but could be persuaded otherwise with solid scientific evidence to the contrary.

Anti-theist:  Believes definitively that there is no god.  

Just an interesting definition expansion I read a while back.  The one I read was much more detailed, but I seem to have the memory of a goldfish these days, but that's the gist. 

I'm an atheist with leanings towards anti-theist... 

What makes you lean towards a more hard line stance against the possibility of a god?  curious

I started out as a skeptic in my younger years and after reading parts of the bible became very agnostic being very convinced the bible is a bunch of fabricated stories, the older I get the more I'm convinced people are being manipulated by all religions

What makes you lean towards a more hard line stance against the possibility of a god?  curious

I started out as a skeptic in my younger years and after reading parts of the bible became very agnostic being very convinced the bible is a bunch of fabricated stories, the older I get the more I'm convinced people are being manipulated by all religions

Well, the Bible has been changed unfortunately from it's original message.  Man made the changes, and we know that man is extremely fallible.  But don't judge all of Christianity on that.....and definitely don't allow that to be your reasoning for not believing in God. 

And to believe that people are being manipulated by all religions, you would have to know in detail what those religions entail.  The finer teachings and all....but until then, it's kinda unfair to say what you have.  Don't take a surface understanding.....really dig deep into what religions say to know their true essence. 

It is nice to see you posting again here Mike, I need to come down there and pick your veggie garden.  I still haven't taken you up on that offer. 

Well, the Bible has been changed unfortunately from it's original message.  Man made the changes, and we know that man is extremely fallible.  But don't judge all of Christianity on that.....and definitely don't allow that to be your reasoning for not believing in God. 

And to believe that people are being manipulated by all religions, you would have to know in detail what those religions entail.  The finer teachings and all....but until then, it's kinda unfair to say what you have.  Don't take a surface understanding.....really dig deep into what religions say to know their true essence. 

It is nice to see you posting again here Mike, I need to come down there and pick your veggie garden.  I still haven't taken you up on that offer. 

Anytime,  you know you are always welcome at the Storm Cellar 

My biggest problem with religions is the lack of evidence,  take away the bible and the Quran  and there is nothing,  I find it hard to believe that a God would be so dependent upon the writing of man,  just doesn't seem like a solid plan from a God,  also there are so many different religions and Gods and they all have a similar theme,  worship, pay your tithing and if you don't they all have some sort of punishment or reward for your behavior,  sounds fishy  to me,  also     throughout recorded written history dating back to the Sumerians 5000 years ago there have been 2870 deities or gods from the Great Ju Ju Monster of the Sea  to the Greek and Roman Gods ,  no one I know believes in Zeus or Apollo yet they believe in Jesus Christ who's story may be plagiarized from several previous Gods including Dionysus the Son of God  (Zeus) 

God:   Taught to you by people, brought to you by people

People:  They make up a lot of shit

Anytime,  you know you are always welcome at the Storm Cellar 

My biggest problem with religions is the lack of evidence,  take away the bible and the Quran  and there is nothing,  I find it hard to believe that a God would be so dependent upon the writing of man,  just doesn't seem like a solid plan from a God,  also there are so many different religions and Gods and they all have a similar theme,  worship, pay your tithing and if you don't they all have some sort of punishment or reward for your behavior,  sounds fishy  to me,  also     throughout recorded written history dating back to the Sumerians 5000 years ago there have been 2870 deities or gods from the Great Ju Ju Monster of the Sea  to the Greek and Roman Gods ,  no one I know believes in Zeus or Apollo yet they believe in Jesus Christ who's story may be plagiarized from several previous Gods including Dionysus the Son of God  (Zeus) 

God:   Taught to you by people, brought to you by people

People:  They make up a lot of shit

I'll make a trip down soon....I live in West Chester so it's about a 45 min drive.  I'll make my way though...long overdue.

As for the rest, again....I'd say study the religions much deeper and see what they have to say, then if you still feel the same, that's your right but I wouldn't speak so decisively on something that I hadn't proper knowledge of.  Not a rudimentary understanding, but a true understanding.  That takes a long time though. 

And there is no debate amongst historians that the historical figure Jesus existed.  

I'll make a trip down soon....I live in West Chester so it's about a 45 min drive.  I'll make my way though...long overdue.

As for the rest, again....I'd say study the religions much deeper and see what they have to say, then if you still feel the same, that's your right but I wouldn't speak so decisively on something that I hadn't proper knowledge of.  Not a rudimentary understanding, but a true understanding.  That takes a long time though. 

And there is no debate amongst historians that the historical figure Jesus existed.  

Actually there is much debate,  there is not one credible shred of evidence that Jesus actually existed,  no artifacts, no self written manuscript, all accounts of Jesus are from writings of other people,    also there is an 18 year period of Jesus life that is unaccounted for,  a lot of historians find this troubling that such a supposed important person's history is missing,  also something that troubles me is there is no physical description of Jesus in the Bible, every written biography of someone has a description of them

As far as looking deep,  I was raised Catholic,  went to Catholic schools,  even went to Baptist Bible School for a while,  I understand the deep meaning of Christianity,  I would like to dig deeper in other religions,  I am intrigued by  Buddhism and Hindu and would like to learn more about Islam but like you said it takes a long time,  not sure I have that much time lol

ALL religious texts are subject to change when they are interpreted. The older the text, the more change via interpretation and what "the church" wants included.

God doesn't write books, get pissed and have a son. What is this, Bonanza?

God the father is a Republican. "Do what I say or I'll drown your ass!"

Jesus had long hair and hung out with hookers and sinners=liberal.

It would take a good ole fashioned miracle for me to believe in God. If I go to hell because he created me to be a skeptical individual, then God's a total dick. I'm just not gonna buy that a bunch of guys a couple thousands of years ago were chosen to write down his word or whatever.

Not to mention there have been literally thousands of religions out there. To dismiss them all and just proclaim mine to be the one true religion seems kinda conceited and egocentric IMO.

So I'd need a miracle, pretty much. Not the boring ones from the bible that David Blaine could recreate in his sleep either. I mean something crazy like a man exploding then reforming.

I've nothing against religious people though. I was raised Christian. Just kinda grew out of it. And plenty of amazing people in my life are religious. I'll just rather take my chances and hope that if there is a God he realizes I'm not a bad dude.

It would take a good ole fashioned miracle for me to believe in God. If I go to hell because he created me to be a skeptical individual, then God's a total dick. I'm just not gonna buy that a bunch of guys a couple thousands of years ago were chosen to write down his word or whatever.

Not to mention there have been literally thousands of religions out there. To dismiss them all and just proclaim mine to be the one true religion seems kinda conceited and egocentric IMO.

So I'd need a miracle, pretty much. Not the boring ones from the bible that David Blaine could recreate in his sleep either. I mean something crazy like a man exploding then reforming.

I've nothing against religious people though. I was raised Christian. Just kinda grew out of it. And plenty of amazing people in my life are religious. I'll just rather take my chances and hope that if there is a God he realizes I'm not a bad dude.

There was a study can't remember the University but it counted 2870 Gods or Deities,    if there is a God he should understand that the chances that you were worshipping the right one was 1 in 2870  pretty sure he/she/it would understand lol

Unless he is just a total dummy and doesn't understand math

By that logic, is the fact that there is no peace in the middle east, proof that there is no God?

It's a dilemma I've often wondered about. Common answers are usually involving blah blah blah something about free will etc...

It's not just war that causes this issue. In general, it is a suffering inflicted upon innocents that could be solved by a bolt of lightning from the heavens.

I do find it truly odd that the Israelis and Palestinians maintain a closer DNA tie than others in the world but yet, are so different from one another.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived