DC Anchor doesn't like the "Redskins" name

Go Skins

Washington is also the town that decided to change the name of the basketball team from the Washington Bullets, citing increased gang violence and shooting deaths in the District and the "fact" that the team name apparently encouraged such behavior.

They're now called the Washington Wizards.

By the logic preceding the name change, shouldn't we have seen an increase in the dark arts and alchemy in the District?  I mean, if the name of a sports team dictates the behavior of idiot gang-banging thugs, then shouldn't this new moniker be just as responsible?  Or if not, hey, waitaminute, is it possible that people's behavior is due THEIR OWN POOR CHOICES and not the seven characters scrawled across the chest of a home town professional athlete?

Know many practitioners of the dark arts do you?

• 1 month later...

I used to hang out in the DC area.  Trust me, there were no reported outbreaks of Alchemy because the NBA team was named "Wizards".

The reason for dumping the name "Bullets" was that the politically-correct asshats there claimed that there was a connection between the team's name and the behavior of the idiots living there.  The lack of Alchemy proves they were wrong and that the reason given for the name change was, in fact, without merit.

I wonder if this will be the tip of the iceberg...  Could he start attacking towns in America ?  1/2 :ninja:

Alabama

- Blackman
 - Intercourse
 - Seman

Alaska

- Queer Creek

Colorado

- Arapahoe

Delaware

- Assawoman Bay

Florida

- Blackman
 - Crackertown
 - Hooker Point
 - Negrotown Knoll

Georgia

- Gay

Illinois

- Gays

Indiana

- Hooker corner

Kansas

- White Woman Creek

Kentucky

- Big Bone Lick

Marshall Islands

- Anal

Massachusetts

- Faggot Hill

Michigan

- Dick
 - Gay
 - Redman

Minnesota

- Spunk Creek

New Mexico

- Guy
 - Lesbia
 - Loving

New York

- Gayhead

North Carolina

- Big Butt
 - Gay
 - Horneytown

Ohio

- Seaman
 - Gaysport
 - Pussy Creek (I bet it gets real wet)

Oklahoma

- Gay

Rhode Island

- Satans Kingdom

Tennessee

- Blackman

Texas

- Gay Hill
 - Gaylord

Utah

- Virgin

Virginia

- Fagg

West Virginia

- Mount Gay

Wisconsin

- Dykesville

Canada may follow suit also

Newfoundland/Labrador

- Dildo
 - Conception bay
 - Placentia

Ontario

- Bastard

Saskatchewan

- Climax

This may end up a world wide thing

- Clit, Suceava, Romania
 - Homo, Brukina Faso
 - Homo, Arequipa, Peru
 - Homo, Nord-Trøndelag, Norway
 - Lesbos Island, Greece
 - Pissen, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany
 - Püssi, Ida-Viru, Estonia
 - Pussy, Savoie, Rhône-Alpes, France
 - Shit’, Ethiopia
 - Twatt, Orkney Islands, United Kingdom
 - Twatt, Shetland Islands, Scotland, United Kingdom

I used to hang out in the DC area.  Trust me, there were no reported outbreaks of Alchemy because the NBA team was named "Wizards".

The reason for dumping the name "Bullets" was that the politically-correct asshats there claimed that there was a connection between the team's name and the behavior of the idiots living there.  The lack of Alchemy proves they were wrong and that the reason given for the name change was, in fact, without merit.

Indeed. These are the same people that repeatedly re-elected a crackhead Mayor.

• 2 weeks later...

The NFL could always go the other way and rename teams to have racist names.

The New England Cracka Ass Cracka's has a nice ring to it.

My personal preference is the Fightin' Whities...

FightingWhites.png

Yup and the Bengals could become the Bung Holes (no offense bunghole).  The Raiders or Bucs could be Butt Pirates... 

buttpirate.png

Bungholes-JM.jpg

• 6 months later...
Finally, Washington is changing their name.

Washington Redskins Change Their Name To The D.C. Redskins
700.jpg?9603

WASHINGTON—Following an outpouring of criticism from across the country, the Washington Redskins announced Wednesday that they are officially changing the team’s name to the D.C. Redskins. “We’ve heard the concerns of many people who have been hurt or offended by the team’s previous name, and I’m happy to say we’ve now rectified the situation once and for all,” said franchise owner Dan Snyder, adding that “Washington Redskins” will be replaced with “D.C. Redskins” on all team logos, uniforms, and apparel. “It was a difficult decision—and one that, frankly, I’m a little embarrassed took me so long to make. So hopefully we can now put this issue to bed and start cheering on our D.C. Redskins.” In light of Snyder’s decision, Cleveland Indians owner Larry Dolan told reporters he will change the feather in Chief Wahoo’s headdress from red to a “more appropriate” shade of red.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/10/wilson-high-school-to-discuss-banning-redskins-clothing-95272.html

The debate over the Washington Redskins name has left the football field and entered the classroom.

The principal at Wilson High School in D.C. said Thursday that he’d discuss with his students the idea of banning students from wearing Redskins clothing.

“I do plan on having a discussion with my student council officers and representative to get their take on this idea,” said Wilson High School principal Pete Cahall.

He said a student approached him about a week ago saying Redskins clothing should be banned because some Native Americans find it offensive.

Earlier this week, Redskins owner Dan Snyder penned a letter to season ticket holders defending the Redskins name, calling it a badge of honor.

aaaaand Peta gets in the act.

http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2013/10/11/Washington-Redskins.aspx

No Need for Redskins to Change Name, Says PETA

Written by Alisa Mullins

10-11-2013

PETA is no stranger to creating controversy by asking sports teams to change their exploitative mascots, but in this case, we're offering to help a football franchise fend off criticism.

After the Washington Redskins came under renewed pressure to change the team's name as a result of its racial implications, we leapt to the rescue with an ingenious—and healthy—solution.

Don't change the legendary Redskins name. Just change the logo.

redskins.jpg

When you hear the word "redskin," what do you immediately think of? Potatoes, of course! And who could be offended by a harmless redskin potato—except, maybe, for the Yukon Gold lobby (and if Alaska had a football team, rest assured that we'd be the first to suggest the Yukon Gold Diggers as a franchise name).

The redskin potato would be a noble mascot for a variety of reasons. Potatoes are also native Americans, having been cultivated in Peru for millennia. A tasty, versatile, animal- and environmentally friendly vegan staple, potatoes are now the most popular vegetable in the U.S. They are loaded with nutrients, including iron, potassium, vitamin C, fiber, and even protein, and red potatoes in particular are high in antioxidants. (Take that, Cheeseheads.)

potatoes.jpg
Photo by Molly

By keeping the name and adopting a heart-healthy, appeeling logo, the Washington Redskins would set a powerful example on and off the field. And that's no small potatoes.

I remember back in the '70's there was a real uproar over the Cleveland Indians. The main activist group at the time was the American Indian Movement. It was led by a guy with the rather uncommon name of Dennis Banks. The AIM didn't just pound on the Tribe, bust also the Atlanta Braves and Chicago Blackhawks. The protests were often and covered heavily in the press. The outcry was so loud that it was a foregone conclusion that these names would get changed for PR.

40 years later, they are still here. So is the AIM, but they have focused their attentions on tackling real issues for Native Americans...and not peripheral irrelevancies.

• 2 weeks later...

You know it's on when Stephen Colbert speaks:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/11/08/stephen-colbert-covers-the-redskins-name/

The latest example of this came Thursday night, on Comedy Central’s Colbert Report. Stephen Colbert, in the character of perpetually aggrieved standard-bearer for American values, did a few minutes on the Redskins name and the Dolphins hazing situation. His “thoughts” about the Redskins, not surprisingly, were similar to much of what appears in our comments section on a daily basis.

* “My favorite NFL team has always been the Washington Redskins. But my team is facing some unnecessary roughness from the PC Police.”

* “If the ‘R’ word was the ‘N’ word, I wouldn’t be able to say it on the air. Watch this, Redskin Redskin Redskin. See? Totally fine.”

Archived