Minimum Wage

Jamie_B

The minimum wage is pointless. The discrepancy between what the CEO and e lowest paid person makes is the problem. I'm not saying there shouldn't be a difference but the difference is getting close to borderline revolution time.

If the MW goes up and demand for product goes up thus CEOs not able to cut jobs but shareholders demand for profit stays high where do you think the money will come from?

If the MW goes up and demand for product goes up thus CEOs not able to cut jobs but shareholders demand for profit stays high where do you think the money will come from?

Either from raising the price on the product/service or from reductions in quality/quantity.  Often both, in fact.

Really good cartoon and article.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130215/BLOG24/130215002/Minimum-wage-jobs-employment-Obama

"In other words, we’ve become a country where the economic class you’re born into is most likely the same class you’ll die in - no matter how hard you work, how intelligent you are, how hard you apply yourself, or ambitious you happen to be."

But but 'merica

Higher prices.

"In other words, we’ve become a country where the economic class you’re born into is most likely the same class you’ll die in - no matter how hard you work, how intelligent you are, how hard you apply yourself, or ambitious you happen to be."

But but 'merica

For me the problem is that you should be able to live a good quality life in America by not choosing a career that is focused on making money. The helping professions are being left behind by the greed professions.

Higher prices.

That's what inflation is, if you tie the MW to inflation henceforth it means when they raise prices the MW gets raised too. So no point in raising prices which means you get less product for the same price or the company takes less profit or those at the top of it have to take less in their wages.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/making-ends-meet-on-the-minimum-wage/2013/02/24/2120f1d8-7ab8-11e2-82e8-61a46c2cde3d_story.html

He makes minimum wage as a cashier at the Family Dollar in Forest Heights, in Prince George’s County near the District boundary. He pulls out his phone for an accounting of his weekly take-home pay: $176.63, $187.95, $252.42, $229.99.

It’s a reminder of all he has done, and can’t yet do, on $7.25 an hour.

“I’m thankful,” Brown said. “Without the job, I could see myself not being the father I am.”

But even with the job, the income of his girlfriend, Janise Creek, and support from their parents, they can’t afford to get their own apartment with their daughter Jayla, who is 8 months old, has two front teeth and is always eating. Or to get his Jeep running. Or for him to get back to the criminal justice courses he left to get a paycheck when Janise got pregnant.

“Who can live off this little bit of money every week?” he said.

President Obama called in his State of the Union address for raising the minimum wage to $9 an hour. Many congressional Republicans oppose the idea; House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) says it could reduce employment. But polls have shown at least two-thirds of Americans support an even bigger hike.

A majority of state senators in Maryland are co-sponsoring a bill to raise the minimum wage in the state further, to $10 per hour by 2015. Both the Obama and Maryland proposals include automatic future raises to keep up with the cost of living, an idea Obama noted he and his Republican opponent, Mitt Romney, agreed on during last year’s campaign.

“The value of the minimum wage shouldn’t be eroded, and it has been,” said Senate Majority Leader Robert J. Garagiola (D-Montgomery), a key sponsor of the Maryland bill. “If we’re going to have a minimum wage in this country, or the state of Maryland, it needs to be a wage people can live off of.”

Tens of thousands of people make the minimum wage in Virginia and Maryland, from warehouse workers in Manassas to book sorters near Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport. The District sets its minimum hourly wage $1 higher than the federal level, so it is currently $8.25. Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D) said this month that he might ask the D.C. Council to raise it, even without a hike in the federal minimum wage.

A full-time minimum-wage worker makes about $15,000 a year. That’s above the poverty line of about $11,500 for an individual but just below the line for a two-person household. Raising the wage to $9 an hour would increase pay by about $75 a week; taking it to $10 would increase it nearly $120 a week.

I get sick and fucking tired of rich fuckers that probably haven't done a day of manual labor in their lives telling hard working Americans that they aren't worth a couple more thousand bucks a year. fuck this country is fucked. I am starting to think America is too big for it's own good. let the right wing fucks have their land where they can fuck everybody over, give the left wing its land where everybody gets an equal cut, then bomb the fuck out of both of them. Fuck.

I get sick and fucking tired of rich fuckers that probably haven't done a day of manual labor in their lives telling hard working Americans that they aren't worth a couple more thousand bucks a year. fuck this country is fucked. I am starting to think America is too big for it's own good. let the right wing fucks have their land where they can fuck everybody over, give the left wing its land where everybody gets an equal cut, then bomb the fuck out of both of them. Fuck.

I hear ya, I'm sick if the fucks that defend them too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/02/news/economy/seattle-minimum-wage/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Seattle's city council on Monday unanimously approved an increase in the city's minimum wage to $15 an hour, making it the nation's highest by far.

The increase was formally proposed by Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, and his spokesman said he intends to sign the ordinance on Tuesday.

But but 'merica

That's quitter pussy talk, f that. It's possible to go up.  

quitter pussy article.

step 1:  don't get 65k of student loan debt

step 2:  don't shit out kids you can't afford

step 3:  ???

step 4:  profit

1.  Only the wealthy should be educated?

2.  So you're pro-choice, then?

Archived