Topps eliminates Pete Rose from record books

Go Skins

http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/msn/topps_eliminates_pete_rose_from_record_books/12908281?ocid=ansfox11

Pete Rose is no longer the all-time hits leader. Well, at least according to Topps. It seems the baseball card company was not only printing the biggest baseball card in the world, they are actually changing history as well.

ChicagoSideSports.com’s Rob Harris has a keen eye to go along with his avid love of baseball cards. He was looking at the back of the new cards for 2013 and saw a new feature that is labeled “Career Chase.”

It’s meant to show just how far off each player is from the career totals of record holders.

On the back of each card, between each player’s personal information and his complete statistics, there’s a little line labeled “Career Chase.” It doesn’t matter the player’s length of play or status, there is a sentence indicating how close that player is to reaching one of the game’s big records.

Topps has taken it upon itself to omit Rose’s name from the hits record, even though his banishment from baseball happened well after his playing days. And even though Rose isn’t eligible to be elected to the Hall of Fame, the museum still recognizes him as the record holder.

Here's what Harris writes at Chicago Side Sports:

For Paul Konerko, the Career Chase line indicates that his 422 career home runs are 340 shy of Barry Bonds’ career record of 762. Konerko — who is nearing 37 years of age — has an outside chance at 500 career home runs, but he certainly won’t approach Barry Bonds’ record. The Career Chase line isn’t meant to suggest he’s closing in, but it helps put his accomplishments in perspective.

Another example, courtesy of Topps: John Danks has 57 career wins, which puts him 454 behind career leader Cy Young.

OK, I get it.

But then I flip the card Starlin Castro, whose solid start as the shortstop for the Cubs has him sitting at 529 hits, which is—as Career Chase points out—a mere 3,727 away from the all-time record of 4,256 held by…. Wait a second. Topps doesn’t say who holds the record. Every other record has a name attached, but not where the hits record is concerned.

I haven’t collected cards in years because the market became so watered down and obscene. This makes me hate it even more because of the pettiness.

As it has been pointed out to us, Rose’s name and/or likeness is not allowed on any MLB products due to his ban, hence the exclusion on the cards.

you all DID read the last line right? his name and likeness is banned by MLB from being associated with MLB in any way... which WOULD include ballcards...

so its NOT like they have a ton of choices, it would seem.....

eh?

i was screaming BS when i read the title... but after that sentence.. it kinda makes sense..

you all DID read the last line right? his name and likeness is banned by MLB from being associated with MLB in any way... which WOULD include ballcards...

eh?

i was screaming BS when i read the title... but after that sentence.. it kinda makes sense..

RTFA?

Get outta here with that shit...

Accomplishments on the field are what they are. If there's an asterisk of ANY kind associated with Rose, then the same asterisk has to be applied to performance cheaters like Bonds. I will be fine with the fact that Rose never gets in the Hall, as long as Bonds, Palmiero, Sosa, McGwire, Pettit, A-Rod, Clemens and ANYONE else associated with PED cheating never gets in either. Either they ALL get in or NONE of them does.

eh?

Then someone needs to explain these .... 

2012 Leaf Pete Rose – The Living Legend Baseball Cards 

For those who have always wanted an autograph from baseball's all-time hit king, 2012 Leaf Pete Rose - The Living Legend offers one of the most affordable options yet. Running significantly less than $50, boxes not only promise ten packs of cards, but a separately packaged Pete Rose autograph.

2012 Leaf Pete Rose - The Living Legend is the company's second set dedicated to the controversial baseball great. The set comes with a 50-card base set that celebrates Rose's career and accomplishments.

Every blaster-style box comes with ten packs of cards plus an additional pack with a Pete Rose autograph. With the product being offered at both hobby and retail, there will be a ton of Rose autographs hitting an already crowded market, so flipping the product for a quick profit may not be easy. However, for those looking to collect and learn more about a player who isn't allowed in modern MLB-licensed sets, this is an extremely affordable option.

2012 Leaf Pete Rose - The Living Legend also has random prize redemptions that replace the autograph card. Prizes include complete sets of 50 autograph cards, and signed balls, bats and jerseys. Some baseballs come inscribed, "I'm sorry I bet on baseball."

Product Configuration: 10 packs per box plus 1 box topper autograph pack, 6 cards per pack

Price Point: Low-End Baseball Card

Target Audience: Pete Rose Fans, Baseball Card Collectors, Autograph Collectors, Hit Seekers

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2012-leaf-pete-rose-living-legend-baseball

And this .... (top left hand corner)

shawngreentopps2006.jpg

A slip-up? Or has there been a change in policy?

It seems like Topps could have used some creative license. Not producing new
Pete Rose cards is one thing — after all, that's the rule. And not making it so
obvious that he's banned would have been OK, too. MLB can keep Pete Rose's
plaque out of the Hall of Fame. But the league isn't going to leave Cooperstown
because the museum still shows Pete Rose exhibits that include his memorabilia.
The Hall of Fame still acknowledges Pete Rose happened. MLB probably isn't going
to cut off Topps because Pete Rose's name is on the back of some cards.

Besides, scrubbing his name off the back — in this particular case — comes
off as petty. And vengeful, from MLB's standpoint. OK, we get it, Pete Rose has
been banned, you're all mighty and powerful.

Most of all, it's also a lie by omission. Pete Rose happened. Remember?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/topps-erases-pete-rose-name-baseball-cards-171826880--mlb.html

The 2012 Leaf Pete Rose – The Living Legend set is not affiliated with MLB and avoids using any trademarks such as team logos and names in the pictures.

They included Pete Rose autograph cards in with "regular" cards in packs and boxes. And it says "his name or likeness".

That 2006 Topps Card I posted above says his name. And there are other instances of this too, I am sure. 

And why didn't  the ban stop them from having a Pete Rose exhibit at the Reds Hall of Fame? 

Or from him being able to attend and be recognized for the All-Century team? 

It's petty bullshit on Topps part. 

They included Pete Rose autograph cards in with "regular" cards in packs and boxes. And it says "his name or likeness".

That 2006 Topps Card I posted above says his name. And there are other instances of this too, I am sure. 

And why didn't  the ban stop them from having a Pete Rose exhibit at the Reds Hall of Fame? 

Or from him being able to attend and be recognized for the All-Century team? 

It's petty bullshit on Topps part. 

The "regular" cards are all Pete Rose cards. It is not a set of MLB cards.

I bet the 2006 Topps card was a mistake.

As for the Pete Rose exhibit, I don't remember it but here's what their website says

Is Pete Rose eligible for the Reds Hall of Fame?

No. Rose is not eligible for the Reds Hall of Fame (or for the National Baseball Hall of Fame) because he is on baseball's ineligible list.

I believe the All Century team was a one time exemption granted by Bud.

The "regular" cards are all Pete Rose cards. It is not a set of MLB cards.

I bet the 2006 Topps card was a mistake.

As for the Pete Rose exhibit, I don't remember it but here's what their website says

I believe the All Century team was a one time exemption granted by Bud.

I remember seeing something about a Cal Ripken card in a pack that also had Pete's autograph.

The exhibit was in 2010, I do believe.

I think Pete is an a-hole. Very arrogant. The guy that led to his eventual downfall Ron Peters,

had a place in my hometown. It was called Jonathan's Cafe. So I heard things before it even 

got out to the media and stuff. With that said, Pete deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. 

And he sure as hell deserves for his name to be on a lousy baseball card. I think this is a

marketing ploy by Topps. 

I quit collecting cards when I couldn't get anything for cards that were supposed to be worth "a lot". 

Archived