Waffle House in Atlanta adds 20% to your bill for security

Go Skins

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/21192346/waffle-house-in-downtown-atlanta-charges-extra-for-security

ATLANTA -            

One Waffle House in downtown Atlanta is passing its security costsicon1.png on to the customer. Seeking to tame large crowds and rowdy customers, the Waffle House in Five Points is charging a 20 percent surcharge to call its customers to cover the cost of an off-duty Atlanta police officer.

Even though there's a police precinct close to the restaurant, some of the businessesicon1.png in the area say they've seen their share of crime.

Sunshine Payne, a waitress at the Waffle House, says she has seen a much calmer crowd since the surcharge went into effect.

"I work night shift, so clubs, drunk people fighting all kinds of stuff – it's kind of good they got police in there," Payne said.

However, Payne says since the customers are already paying more, they've been leaving less in the form of tips.

"Moneywise no, but safety-wise, yes," Payne said.

There are yellow and black signs regarding the "property management surcharge" posted all over the restaurant and on the menus.

Still, some people don't notice, while others said they didn't care.

"With the prices at Waffle House, 20 percent isn't going to kill you," said one customer.

But others said the charge is enough to send them somewhere else to eat.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/21192346/waffle-house-in-downtown-atlanta-charges-extra-for-security#ixzz2Kyh4ZkHR

It's crazy that the WH is such a magnet for troubled people. Seems like we've eaten there 2-3 times the last 6 months or so and twice that I can remember there was an issue.

I remember when I lived in Dayton, the WH on Airway, some person got tazed in the parking lot.

It's crazy that the WH is such a magnet for troubled people. Seems like we've eaten there 2-3 times the last 6 months or so and twice that I can remember there was an issue.

I remember when I lived in Dayton, the WH on Airway, some person got tazed in the parking lot.

What hours were you there?  No sane mind would eat a meal at Waffle House so I would imagine you were intoxicated.........late hours + intoxication = incidents.   Anywhere you have drunk people there will be incidents. 

My Brother ran my convertible '68 Camaro through a Waffle House about 20 years ago. Totaled it. 

I'm still salty about it. 

He said the people in there were running around like chickens. 

He also said that he jumped out and said "I want 2 eggs over easy, bacon and a side of hash browns." 

I told him if he didn't want to get out, he should have went to a place that had a drive thru, not made his own. 

He never did get his order though ... 

My Brother ran my convertible '68 Camaro through a Waffle House about 20 years ago. Totaled it. 

He also said that he jumped out and said "I want 2 eggs over easy, bacon and a side of hash browns." 

I told him if he didn't want to get out, he should have went to a place that had a drive thru, not made his own. 

Those cars are badass.   I'd have beat the shit out of him.  Unless he was bigger.  Then I'd just yell at him.....REAL loud tho.  

This 20 percent surcharge has me curious.  If security was that much of a problem why even put a franchise there ?  According to the article crime is bad there.  Should patrons be paying 20 percent surcharge for what I see as a business responsibility not a patron responsibility.  I guess it doesn't matter because one way or another the prices would be raised and the consumer would end up paying for the additional security anyway.  There is still a choice of not going there at all.

Is this just a start on other businesses, schools, etc... passing on the cost of security to consumers or is this going to be an isolated issue ?

What hours were you there?  No sane mind would eat a meal at Waffle House so I would imagine you were intoxicated.........late hours + intoxication = incidents.   Anywhere you have drunk people there will be incidents. 

There use to be this college bar called Tuty's right beside it; I think it burned down. I guess anywhere from 10pm-3am. And yes, there's no reason to eat at the WH during those hours unless you're intoxicated. Don't they check you at the door to make sure you're drunk enough to come inside?

Waffle house on needmore in Dayton has armed security on Friday and Saturday nights. Off the hook in there and nobody ever pays for their food.

My two best friends in high school dined and dashed. I could never do it. Thank God I wasn't with them. I would have felt bad and stayed behind and paid for everyone's meal.

How did he take his hashbrowns?

There use to be this college bar called Tuty's right beside it; I think it burned down. I guess anywhere from 10pm-3am. And yes, there's no reason to eat at the WH during those hours unless you're intoxicated. Don't they check you at the door to make sure you're drunk enough to come inside?

Hahaha...yeah, I think they do give you a breathalyzer and if you're sober, they refer you to the mental hospital.  If drunk, admittance is granted.  

How did he take his hashbrowns?

Crispy and smothered in cheese with onions.....mmmmmmm

Tuty's is still there!

Lmao Waffle House in Newport gets crazy late hours sometimes. I saw what looked to be the beginning of a gang turf war outside. I was drunk, so I was taking sides n shit. Saw a guy beating the shit out of the paper towel dispenser like it smashed his baby moms.

Waffle House whew.png

Archived