Switch, router, and networking question

So this actually comes from Go's post about his home network.  I'm not looking at doing as much as he is, but I'd like to wire some of the things that are currently wireless (atv2, bluray, roku, print server, etc).

What I'm wondering is this.  I'm assuming the connection will look like looks like

DSL Modem -> wireless router -> Switch -> wired devices.

I could actually skip the switch, but I'm curious how this would work (thinking down the road if there are more wired devices).

How do IP addresses work in this model since the switch doesn't assign ip addresses.  Do I just specify on the device what the ip would be and then the traffic just passes through the switch to the router?

since the wireless router is a switch/hub in itself, it would have "EVERYTHING" going through essentially 2 switches in your setup, which may not matter, but with mine  nothing goes through two switches really, since none of the ports would be being used on the wireless router.. just the wireless part..  so just the wireless would be..

i dont know if it matters at all.. but that was my thinking.

I was hoping to score a 'free' switch, but it didn't pan out....yet.  So right now I'm just going to use the wireless router.  We were given a 32" tv and so I'm going to put that and the Roku in our bedroom.   I'm doing a little extra by adding an outlet so my cable are taking a valuable outlet in our kitchen (our stuff is tucked away above a cabinet).  Roku, BluRay, Printserver, and ATV2 will all be wired.  I did have to pick up fishtape today to get past some insulation.

On a side note - wish I knew you were selling that iphone on CL - As soon as Ting opens it up, I am all over an iphone.

So this actually comes from Go's post about his home network.  I'm not looking at doing as much as he is, but I'd like to wire some of the things that are currently wireless (atv2, bluray, roku, print server, etc).

What I'm wondering is this.  I'm assuming the connection will look like looks like

DSL Modem -> wireless router -> Switch -> wired devices.

I could actually skip the switch, but I'm curious how this would work (thinking down the road if there are more wired devices).

How do IP addresses work in this model since the switch doesn't assign ip addresses.  Do I just specify on the device what the ip would be and then the traffic just passes through the switch to the router?

With the Layer 2 home switches that you'll get you're correct - it won't hand out DHCP addresses.  If you got a Layer 3 switch you could do DHCP that way but they're more commercial and costly (last Cisco I priced was about $3000).

But, to answer your question - just statically assign your IP's.  Decide what scheme you want to use... 10.10.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, etc. and then lay it out.  Put wireless router at.1, switch at .2, give you're self expansion to maybe 20 (never know when you'll add core backbone devices!!!) then start assigning your devices .20, .21, etc. they'll all talk to each other across the switch and only hit the router if they can't resolve an IP address locally and try to pass it upstream.

With the Layer 2 home switches that you'll get you're correct - it won't hand out DHCP addresses.  If you got a Layer 3 switch you could do DHCP that way but they're more commercial and costly (last Cisco I priced was about $3000).

But, to answer your question - just statically assign your IP's.  Decide what scheme you want to use... 10.10.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, etc. and then lay it out.  Put wireless router at.1, switch at .2, give you're self expansion to maybe 20 (never know when you'll add core backbone devices!!!) then start assigning your devices .20, .21, etc. they'll all talk to each other across the switch and only hit the router if they can't resolve an IP address locally and try to pass it upstream.

This is awesome!  Thank you very much - I was hoping it would work this way.  (I won't be picking up a layer 3 switch!)

i plan on having the modem > switch > wireless router

yea, this doesnt work, and after i read why, i felt like a retard...

THEN when i went to switch the modem to airport to switch, i switched the wrong ends, so modem to to airport, but then i plugged the switch into itself(literally port 1 into port 2)

i did like 8 hours of manual labor yesterday getting it all strung.. i was beat, then i did retarded things and had to run up and down from bedroom to basement like 3 times..

Archived