How good was Johnny Cueto last year?

Jason

Agreed, that was the suck.

Yeah.  Its like the law of averages for Cincy sports.  Get to playoffs, best pitcher blows midsection up after a few pitches.  Get to playoffs, QB either gets blown up or plays the worst game of their lives.

They did try to throw us a bone when they took Rey out, but it was just a tease..

If everyone stays healthy this year, I think we will have the best rotation in baseball. I think Cueto or Latos can be Cy Young candidates. Arroyo has had very solid seasons almost every year except 11 when he had mono. Bailey keeps getting better and really shined at the end of the year. If he can keep that up and get better at home, he can be a stud too. None of this includes the potential of chapman. If he performs any where near where he did in the bullpen it will be insane.

If everyone stays healthy this year, I think we will have the best rotation in baseball. I think Cueto or Latos can be Cy Young candidates. Arroyo has had very solid seasons almost every year except 11 when he had mono. Bailey keeps getting better and really shined at the end of the year. If he can keep that up and get better at home, he can be a stud too. None of this includes the potential of chapman. If he performs any where near where he did in the bullpen it will be insane.

I don't think we'll see a repeat of last year's "starting five playing the whole year" like we did. That said, the Reds need to come up with SOMEONE that can fill the gap when it happens, as it invariably will (injury). The Reds also need to provision for suckage in their rotation, which I predict will come from Arroyo. Dude needs replaced. He's just too scattershot with his junky shit and now he's old on top of that, Cueto needs to have a STRONG, injury free year, along with Latos and Bailey (if we can arbitrate him). The rest of the rotation should be up for grabs, dependent on what they do with the Missile. I for one hope they don't start him. he's too valuable as a closer. 

Shit, what do I know? The other side of the coin is that our offense HAS to produce more runs this season than it did last. Too shaky.

I don't think we'll see a repeat of last year's "starting five playing the whole year" like we did. That said, the Reds need to come up with SOMEONE that can fill the gap when it happens, as it invariably will (injury). The Reds also need to provision for suckage in their rotation, which I predict will come from Arroyo. Dude needs replaced. He's just too scattershot with his junky shit and now he's old on top of that, Cueto needs to have a STRONG, injury free year, along with Latos and Bailey (if we can arbitrate him). The rest of the rotation should be up for grabs, dependent on what they do with the Missile. I for one hope they don't start him. he's too valuable as a closer. 

Shit, what do I know? The other side of the coin is that our offense HAS to produce more runs this season than it did last. Too shaky.

1. Bailey is already signed

2. Yeah they probably wont all stay healthy all year, but if they can avoid any big injuries they should be fine. If Leake doesnt make the rotation hopefully they could keep him around in AAA or in the pen so that he could start if any of the top 5 get hurt.

3. Arroyo can be frustrating cause he can get knocked around every now and then. BUT he has gone over 200 innings every year but one (when he had 199) and in 3 of the last 4 years has had an era under 4. The only year he didnt is when he had mono.

You arent going to have 5 ace starters and yet we have the potential to have 4 ace caliber starters in our rotation not including arroyo. Arroyo is a very valuable pitcher to have in your rotation. Keeps your bullpen and other guys in the rotation fresh. 200 IP is huge. Ideally if Bailey keeps improving and Chapman reaches anywhere near his potential then you wouldnt have to use arroyo as a starter in a playoff game, but during the regular season he doesnt need to be replaced. At least not this year, unless he regresses a lot, which I dont really see happening. No reason his stuff should tail off much due to his age as he isnt a power pitcher.

I think the addition of Choo-Choo is going to be huge for this team.  More RISP for Joey and Brandon will undoubtedly lead to more consistency.  It would be nice to see Cozart swing at a higher clip as well.

So if Chapman works out in the rotation do you push Leake back to set-up man, closer, ect..?

Even if Chapman works in the rotation, he will need to be replaced at the end of the year due to his # of innings. I keep Leake ready for that and for any injuries that come up. Also, as trade bate he's worth more as a starter. Leake is quickly becoming more expensive than he's worth so trades should be on the table.

Even if Chapman works in the rotation, he will need to be replaced at the end of the year due to his # of innings. I keep Leake ready for that and for any injuries that come up. Also, as trade bate he's worth more as a starter. Leake is quickly becoming more expensive than he's worth so trades should be on the table.

If you keep leake as the long man you could do it so that he is ready to pitch 2 Innings every game chapman starts. Limit chapman to 5 innings or so a start unless its a big game and he is dominating. You could also have leake start a few games to give chapman a rest. That could easily keep chapman fresh all season without taking the bullpen too much I'd think.

If Chapman works out I would keep Leake around and let him start in place of Chapman periodically, and be a long reliever. He would likely also get a few starts from other guys being hurt. You can also use him as a pinch hitter or pinch runner.

Archived