Advice for Older Smart phone

bengalrick

OK so I have a smart phone without a data plan... Long story but I am one of the few people that can buy smartphones and not have a  data plan.

So my Galaxy S (1) is on its last leg and I am looking to buy a new smartphone without a contract... Looking to spend about $250. Any suggestions? Obviously I am not going to get the latest and greatest but that is cool with me. I have thought about the Galaxy 2 but before I commit, any suggestions? 

As far as iPhone I am looking at like the 3gs and probably not going to go that route. iPhone 4 I would probably do it, but considering all iPhones other than the 5 are obsolete b/c of the new plugs, very highly doubt I will be going with apple. Anyone have a smart phone a few years old that you would suggest me to look into?

Thanks for any help ahead of time.

My wife has the iPhone 4 and she doesn't complain much - she's on 3G network. Mine is the 4S and it's awesome - I'm on the 4G.. Niece has the 5 and it seems to be the same as mine but bigger screen... and sometimes her videos take forever to load when mine come right up.

iphone 4s is going for $250-ish on craigslist. just sold mine for $220... 

the galaxy s2 is 3x as fast as the S1, so its not a bad option if you do go that route. avoid all low end LG, motorola, kyocera, etc they are basically garbage..

the iphone 4 is faster than what you are using now, but it sounds like you keep phones for 3-4 years, so i would say 4S would be ideal... and considering every single carrier still to this second sells the 4 and the 4s, there will be no "obsolete" concerns down the road...

if you debate any other devices sold by sprint i can look up return rates, biggest failure problems, etc for you...

iphone 4s is going for $250-ish on craigslist. just sold mine for $220... 

the galaxy s2 is 3x as fast as the S1, so its not a bad option if you do go that route. avoid all low end LG, motorola, kyocera, etc they are basically garbage..

the iphone 4 is faster than what you are using now, but it sounds like you keep phones for 3-4 years, so i would say 4S would be ideal... and considering every single carrier still to this second sells the 4 and the 4s, there will be no "obsolete" concerns down the road...

if you debate any other devices sold by sprint i can look up return rates, biggest failure problems, etc for you...

wow really? I am going to check craigslist now. I'd love a 4s just hadn't found any in my price range. Thanks for the advice Go...

Forgot to mention, I have At&t.

Obsolete is too rough of a word but the resale for them sky rocketed down (rightly so) b/c of the new plug of the 5. The 5 is great and I wish I could go that route... maybe in about 3 years :)

Honestly my biggest gripe with apple is iTunes. I moved to Ubuntu solely and iTunes and linux do not mix well at all. I have a VM for windows but it just doesn't work all that well. I love the fact I can plug in my current Galaxy 1 and just move files... Not have to go through all the hoops with iTunes.

Dang... I wish the iPhone had a micro SD card...... Your right though, craigslist has better pricing for a 4s. Can't decide if I want to go that route or not. micro SD card and iTunes are the only two things holding me back at this point.

i had the same reservations when i switched from blackberry to iphone, but drop box solved the sd card issue, it auto backs up my photos and holds important files i use often, i hated itunes on PC but love it on mac, i have ituens set up wifi sync with my devices, so when i get home if i added new music to itunes, it auto syncs to my ipod and iphone...

Archived