Happiest and Saddest states in the country.

GoBengals

Kentucky is happier than Ohio but less happier than Colorado.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1302.3299.pdf

1 Hawaii 6.17

2 Maine 6.14

3 Nevada 6.12

4 Utah 6.11

5 Vermont 6.11

6 Colorado 6.10

7 Idaho 6.10

8 New Hampshire 6.09

9 Washington 6.08

10 Wyoming 6.08

11 Minnesota 6.07

12 Arizona 6.07

13 California 6.07

14 Florida 6.06

15 New York 6.06

16 New Mexico 6.05

17 Iowa 6.05

18 Oregon 6.05

19 North Dakota 6.04

20 Nebraska 6.04

21 Wisconsin 6.03

22 Kansas 6.03

23 Alaska 6.02

24 Oklahoma 6.02

25 Massachusetts 6.02

26 Montana 6.01

27 Missouri 6.01

28 Kentucky 6.00

29 New Jersey 5.99

30 West Virginia 5.99

31 Illinois 5.99

32 Rhode Island 5.99

33 Indiana 5.98

34 Texas 5.98

35 South Dakota 5.98

36 Virginia 5.97

37 Tennessee 5.97

38 Connecticut 5.97

39 Pennsylvania 5.97

40 South Carolina 5.96

41 North Carolina 5.96

42 Ohio 5.96

43 Arkansas 5.95

44 District of Columbia 5.94

45 Michigan 5.94

46 Alabama 5.94

47 Georgia 5.94

48 Delaware 5.92

49 Maryland 5.90

50 Mississippi 5.89

51 Louisiana 5.88

2011 poll on Well Being.  Hawaii is still at the top of this list.  Colorado, New Hampshire, and Utah are also still there.  I would have thought that happier people are going to have a higher well being (or vice versa) but that is not always the case.

http://www.well-beingindex.com/

1. Hawaii
2. North Dakota
3. Minnesota
4. Alaska
5. Utah
6. Colorado
7. Kansas
8. Nebraska
9. New Hampshire
10. Montana
11. South Dakota
12. Vermont
13. Maryland
14. Massachusetts
15. Virginia
16. Iowa
17. Washington
18. California
19. Connecticut
20. Oregon
21. Wyoming
22. Wisconsin
23. Idaho
24. New Mexico
25. Maine
26. Arizona
27. Texas
28. Georgia
29. New Jersey
30. North Carolina
31. Pennsylvania
32. Illinois
33. South Carolina
34. New York
35. Rhode Island
36. Louisiana
37. Michigan
38. Indiana
39. Oklahoma
40. Nevada
41. Tennessee
42. Florida
43. Missouri
44. Arkansas
45. Alabama
46. Ohio
47. Delaware
48. Mississippi
49. Kentucky
50. West Virginia

The Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index Composite Score is comprised of six sub-indices: Life Evaluation, Emotional Health, Physical Health, Healthy Behavior, Work Environment and Basic Access. The Life Evaluation Sub-Index is partially based on the Cantril Self-Anchoring Striving Scale and combines the evaluation of one’s present life situation with one’s anticipated life situation five years from now. The Emotional Health Sub-Index is primarily a composite of respondents’ daily experiences, asking respondents to think about how they felt yesterday along nine dimensions. The Physical Health Sub-Index is comprised of questions related to: Body Mass Index, disease burden, sick days, physical pain, daily energy, history of disease and daily health experiences. The Healthy Behavior Sub-Index includes items measuring life style habits with established relationships to health outcomes. The Work Environment Sub-Index surveys workers on several factors to gauge their feelings and perceptions about their work environment. The Basic Access Sub-Index is based on thirteen items measuring resident’s access to food, shelter, healthcare and a safe and satisfying place to live.

I wonder about Hawaii being tops. Sure the weather is nice, there's beaches, etc...but it's prohibitively expensive to live there and have a middle class existence. I loved it there as a boy. But I was a military brat living on Schofield Barracks and we lived on base and went to the beach every Saturday and Sunday.

I wonder about Hawaii being tops. Sure the weather is nice, there's beaches, etc...but it's prohibitively expensive to live there and have a middle class existence. I loved it there as a boy. But I was a military brat living on Schofield Barracks and we lived on base and went to the beach every Saturday and Sunday.

weather and activities have a big role in peoples happiness, i know it does for me out here, 3 things:

1. less conservative racism& religious nutbags in my DIRECT vacinity

2. weather is amazing here.summers are dry and not humid, winters are always sunny and never bittier cold(not humid)

3. and things to do are everywhere.. mountains range for miles and miles, so i will die before i explore even half of the range.

the biggest downside is there is nothing nearby to drive to, like other cities, in ohio i had columbus, cleveland, nashville, indy, detroit, pitt, etc all within 4-6 hours.. colorado isnt much aside from denver as far as nearby cities for sports and rec.

but two discount airlines have hubs here so its cheap to fly..

weather and activities have a big role in peoples happiness, i know it does for me out here, 3 things:

1. less conservative racism& religious nutbags in my DIRECT vacinity

2. weather is amazing here.summers are dry and not humid, winters are always sunny and never bittier cold(not humid)

3. and things to do are everywhere.. mountains range for miles and miles, so i will die before i explore even half of the range.

the biggest downside is there is nothing nearby to drive to, like other cities, in ohio i had columbus, cleveland, nashville, indy, detroit, pitt, etc all within 4-6 hours.. colorado isnt much aside from denver as far as nearby cities for sports and rec.

but two discount airlines have hubs here so its cheap to fly..

Truth.

1.  Same here, even with Utah as our hat.  The Mormons know that if they want wholesome they need to move the fuck back to Utah.

2.  Sure the summers are hot, but after you've been here long enough you'll need a jacket if it drops below 80.  I also like being able to see for 60+ miles on a clear day.

3.  Your mountains are bigger, but there are thousands of miles of hiking trails around here.  I've lived in this particular area at the base of the Spring Mountain range for 10 years and have hiked\found *maybe* 30% of the trails.

It's not as bad here in regard to access though; we're 3 hours from LA, 5 from SD, 6 from SLC, 4 from Phoenix (though aside from a baseball game there's really no reason to go there).  The big thing for us is that this is one of the best cities to live for international travel; practically every major country in the world has flights that come in here... 

Here's the Forbe's Top Ten Worst places...

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/18399988-418/chicago-makes-list-of-forbes-most-miserable-cities.html

Here’s the full list of Most Miserable Cities:

1. Detroit, Mich.

2. Flint, Mich.

3. Rockford

4. Chicago

5. Modesto, Calif.

6. Vallejo, Calif.

7. Warren, Mich.

8. Stockton, Calif.

9. Lake County

10. New York, N.Y.

Note:  I'm not so sure why a county was included in a list of cities but Lake County is loosely considered a part of Chicago Metro because Chicago provides the transportation network, etc... 

In my opinion, big cities like Chicago, NY, both have a lot to offer. If you have a good job and can afford the luxuries (sp) of what the city has, it's a wonderful life. If you're struggling to make ends meet, I could see how the crowded areas could make life much worse. The more people around, the more chances of running into a-holes. You can't afford to do any of the fun things, to travel around the city... you just go to work every day, fight the traffic, fight the people, come home and drink your six pack because there's nothing more in terms of entertainment that you can afford.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45edkmj/the-10-unhappiest-cities-to-work-in/

The 10 Unhappiest Cities to Work In

(Note: These aren’t considered the "worst" cities to live in; they’re simply the places where workers are least content right now, according to CareerBliss data and research.)

No. 1 Boulder, Colo.
No. 2 Reno, Nev.
No. 3 Wichita, Kan.
No. 4 Fresno, Calif.
No. 5 Little Rock, Ark.
No. 6 Cleveland, Ohio
No. 7 El Paso, Texas
No. 8 Stockton, Calif.
No. 9 Allentown, Pa.
No. 10 Milwaukee, Wis.

Oddly Boulder, Colorado is worst place to work.  Perhaps not every works at a marijuana kiosk...

Nevada on the worst place to work also.

Stockton, California is not only miserable but it sucks to work there.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45edkmj/the-10-unhappiest-cities-to-work-in/

Oddly Boulder, Colorado is worst place to work.  Perhaps not every works at a marijuana kiosk...

Nevada on the worst place to work also.

Stockton, California is not only miserable but it sucks to work there.

If you've ever been to Stockton you know why; what a shit hole.

And I wouldn't lump the entire state of Nevada into that list based on Reno, as Reno comprises less than 10% of the state's population.  Heck, NLV has a larger population than Reno.

Now, is Las Vegas on that list, maybe top 20?  Don't know but I'd like to see the rest of the list, and I work with a bunch of grumpy ass people, so... :shrug:

Archived