My neighbor's pitbull killed my dog and I'm pissed!!!

oldschooler

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. 

I just got a call from my neighbor a little while ago telling me his dog was put down at 9:30 this morning. 

I have a fenced in back yard, but with all the snow we have gotten, it was almost impossible to let her out back there. 

I guess I could have shoveled a spot for her. Too late now though. 

And I'm sorry, but I do somewhat blame the breed. I mean it's not like if my Neighbor had a Chihuahua I would have

had to worry about this happening. And no one would have had to worry about my Beagle doing this. 

Anyway. It is just a sad situation all around. 

And Elflocko, I am beginning to think I may indeed be living on cursed ground or something. 

Thanks again for all the responses. 

And Rest in Peace Maggie ... :(

And I'm sorry, but I do somewhat blame the breed. I mean it's not like if my Neighbor had a Chihuahua I would have

had to worry about this happening. And no one would have had to worry about my Beagle doing this. 

Yeah, that's understandable, as far as large breeds in general are concerned.  Unfortunately pits & rotts are both popular with the kind of person that wants to feel like a badass because of their dog and have no business owning a pet to begin with.  Almost all of the pits I know were rescues.

What about the other dog they have? They should probably kennel her or something.

They've already killed 2 with their carelessness - they should probably trade her in for a goldfish or something.

Pits are like any other dog in 1 respect, and different in another. 

A properly raised Pit most of the time is no more or less aggressive than any other dog.  Just like people though, on occasion you get one that is just "wired wrong".  My mom had a briard like that.  He loved my mom but few other people.  Granted, I was only there a couple times a year when my mom had Reggie, but he really did not like me.  He bit me once.  When he bit my grandmother they had him put down.  My pure Dane is not good with strangers either, but I don't let him around strangers since he bit someone.

The issue with a Pit is the way they were bred, physically.  Their jaws are incredibly strong, so a bite from a pit will be really, really bad.

And, yes, it does not help that a lot of owners who want a "badass" dog get pits, and that adds to the reputation.

I have a daschund and she's mean as fuck. She'll bite the hell right out of ya. I love on her every day and have whipped her maybe twice. I rarely yell so there is no hostility whatsoever - she's just a bitch to everyone outside of her family.

Difference i guess is she weighs 16 lbs.

I have a Boxer that is not mean, but very territorial... Will get between my boys and strangers and you can see the hair on his back stand up... he wont take his eyes off them.... He also hates repair men...

...but he has never bit anyone.. just watched and growled.

Our half boxer is very friendly, and great with kids, but also a good judge of character.  If he doesn't like someone there is usually a good reason.

What about the other dog they have? They should probably kennel her or something.

The other dog (the Mom) was just there, she didn't attack my dog at all. They usually keep them inside. 

But when they let her out, she will definitely be chained up now. Or else I will call the cops on them every time. 

Was the pit fixed?  Normally that's the problem.

I'm super sad about this.  RIP Maggie.  This is a sad day.  

No it wasn't fixed. It was actually less than a year old, but fully grown. They fed it well. And treated it

better than their kids. I remember I would see the Wife put that dog in her car and go places all the

time while leaving  her kids at home. I was like "priorities?". 

Well I just talked to my neighbor and this sad episode has gotten even sadder. 

I guess his Wife was drunk and messed up on pills the night this happened. 

And she let their dogs out without chaining them up (her Husband wasn't home I called him at his Mom's)

And after they put the dog down today, she checked her self into the Hospital.

I guess she is so guilt ridden she is suicidal. Maybe they'll get her the help she needs.

And their dog was only 7 months old, but it weighed 75 pounds. The same Vet that "treated"

my dog put their dog down. And he said he has been a Vet for 30+ years and he never seen

a dog as mutilated as my poor dog was. He told them if they didn't bring their dog in soon, he

was going to call the cops on them himself. He said that dog had to be put down, it was a danger 

to all it came in contact with, especially after it killed for the first time. He said it would only get worse.

My neighbor said he has to bury that dog himself. I was thinking good luck with that. Digging a hole 

big enough for that monster in this frozen tundra. 

I need a drink ... or a smoke. 

That is terrible Old,  and no ifs and or buts about it that dog needs to be put down,  its a shame but it sounds like you have some yahoos who aren't responsible enough to take a care of a dog or they abused the dog making it mean,  its a shame idiots like that put people and their pets at risk

Pits were bred to kill and they are more aggressive then other dogs. A pit bit my dog in the face. It's my aunts and we never let the dog anywhere near it. We have a Shepard mix. A pit isn't good for anything but making someone who feels weak stronger. The breed needs to be made extinct.

Go I feel horrible for you. If I were you the police would have been called immediately and charges pressed. Good luck.

Maybe my way of thinking is archaic, but I feel exactly the same way. Of course I'm jaded because of what happened to me and my dog, but you don't hear NEARLY as many stories of other big dogs attacking kids / pets as you do Pitts. And yeah, any dog can be mean, but the sheer size and strength of pitts is what makes them dangerous - add in their natural mean streak and the reason they are bred, and you see stories like this. This could have been a child!

Pits were bred to kill and they are more aggressive then other dogs. A pit bit my dog in the face. It's my aunts and we never let the dog anywhere near it. We have a Shepard mix. A pit isn't good for anything but making someone who feels weak stronger. The breed needs to be made extinct.

Maybe my way of thinking is archaic, but I feel exactly the same way. Of course I'm jaded because of what happened to me and my dog, but you don't hear NEARLY as many stories of other big dogs attacking kids / pets as you do Pitts.

That's largely because of the stigma surrounding them.  It's not as sensational when a Doberman or Rottweiler attacks someone and less-likely to be widely reported. If you look at CDC records of fatal dog attacks, in 2005 pit bulls suddenly account for 5-10 times the amount of dog attacks in previous years combined. A lot of them are listed as "pit bull-type" as well, which basically means any mutt exhibiting bulldog characteristics, because LOL journalism. 

So unless pit bulls all suddenly declared a jihad on humanity in 2005, those numbers are pretty damned suspect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/1979-1988-dog-bite-related-fatalities.pdf

This has some of the same problems as the one I looked at; they're using newspaper reporting as part of their method, with the same issues of bias & reliance on non-experts for classification of the breed of dog. "Boxer/Chow mix, maybe some rottweiler in there? Hard to tell really, I'm not a vet.. attacks child!" isn't nearly as good of a headline.. What both studies have in common is that when you look at the year-by-year comparison by breed, there again appears to be a sudden increase in pitbull attacks. Like I said before, this indicates to me a rise in popularity and media hype around pits, rather than a sudden concerted effort by the dogs to start attacking people.

To repeat; blame the owners. The fact that pit bulls have become associated with some BS gangster lifestyle is the problem. Too often people are getting these dogs because they want them to be aggressive and intimidating, and what little training the dog does receive is likely aimed at reinforcing rather than curbing that behavior.  That is why pit bulls are more likely to kill people, (if they indeed are - without correlating number of deaths to number of dogs owned, this study doesn't even prove that much) not because of some treacherous flaw in their genetics.

If you took a chihuahua and treated it like it was supposed to be some ferocious attack dog, it would (try to) be.  Nobody gets a chihuahua with that in mind, however. To put it another way, the fact more people are killed by pit bulls than packs of alligators doesn't mean pit bulls are more dangerous to you than a pack of alligators.

This has some of the same problems as the one I looked at; they're using newspaper reporting as part of their method, with the same issues of bias & reliance on non-experts for classification of the breed of dog. "Boxer/Chow mix, maybe some rottweiler in there? Hard to tell really, I'm not a vet.. attacks child!" isn't nearly as good of a headline.. What both studies have in common is that when you look at the year-by-year comparison by breed, there again appears to be a sudden increase in pitbull attacks. Like I said before, this indicates to me a rise in popularity and media hype around pits, rather than a sudden concerted effort by the dogs to start attacking people.

To repeat; blame the owners. The fact that pit bulls have become associated with some BS gangster lifestyle is the problem. Too often people are getting these dogs because they want them to be aggressive and intimidating, and what little training the dog does receive is likely aimed at reinforcing rather than curbing that behavior.  That is why pit bulls are more likely to kill people, (if they indeed are - without correlating number of deaths to number of dogs owned, this study doesn't even prove that much) not because of some treacherous flaw in their genetics.

If you took a chihuahua and treated it like it was supposed to be some ferocious attack dog, it would (try to) be.  Nobody gets a chihuahua with that in mind, however. To put it another way, the fact more people are killed by pit bulls than packs of alligators doesn't mean pit bulls are more dangerous to you than a pack of alligators.

The people that owned the dog that killed mine didn't want their dog to be aggressive. They have a 6 year old girl and a 2 year old son.

The dog was fed very well. Again, it was 7 months old and weighed 75 pounds. They kept it like a house dog. That is where it spent

95+ percent of it's time, in their nice, warm, cozy house. The only mistake they made was to let it out unchained. They didn't train it

to kill my dog, or any other dog. They owned that dog from the time it was born. They didn't treat their dog any differently than I treated mine.

That dog chose to chase my dog off my porch and annihilate it. That dog was a natural born killer. It wasn't nurtured to be that way.

The people that owned the dog that killed mine didn't want their dog to be aggressive. They have a 6 year old girl and a 2 year old son.

The dog was fed very well. Again, it was 7 months old and weighed 75 pounds. They kept it like a house dog. That is where it spent

95+ percent of it's time, in their nice, warm, cozy house. The only mistake they made was to let it out unchained.

Biggest mistake they made was not getting it fixed.  Sorry to be repetitive, but that's a huge deal with aggressive dogs.  My friend has a boxer/blue heeler mix.  I was terrified of that dog when they first got it.  They fixed it and now the dog is virtually a kitty.  Complete 180 in terms of aggression.

Archived