My neighbor's pitbull killed my dog and I'm pissed!!!

oldschooler

This has some of the same problems as the one I looked at; they're using newspaper reporting as part of their method, with the same issues of bias & reliance on non-experts for classification of the breed of dog. "Boxer/Chow mix, maybe some rottweiler in there? Hard to tell really, I'm not a vet.. attacks child!" isn't nearly as good of a headline.. What both studies have in common is that when you look at the year-by-year comparison by breed, there again appears to be a sudden increase in pitbull attacks. Like I said before, this indicates to me a rise in popularity and media hype around pits, rather than a sudden concerted effort by the dogs to start attacking people.

To repeat; blame the owners. The fact that pit bulls have become associated with some BS gangster lifestyle is the problem. Too often people are getting these dogs because they want them to be aggressive and intimidating, and what little training the dog does receive is likely aimed at reinforcing rather than curbing that behavior.  That is why pit bulls are more likely to kill people, (if they indeed are - without correlating number of deaths to number of dogs owned, this study doesn't even prove that much) not because of some treacherous flaw in their genetics.

If you took a chihuahua and treated it like it was supposed to be some ferocious attack dog, it would (try to) be.  Nobody gets a chihuahua with that in mind, however. To put it another way, the fact more people are killed by pit bulls than packs of alligators doesn't mean pit bulls are more dangerous to you than a pack of alligators.

An accurate report by CDC was done that is a little more current.  Deals more with dog bites on humans.

http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/images/dogbreeds-a.pdf

Finally, it is imperative to keep in mind that even if breed-specific bite rates could be accurately calculated, they do not factor in owner- related issues. For example, less responsible owners or owners who want to foster aggression in their dogs may be drawn differentially to certain breeds.

Despite these limitations and concerns, the data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities.

dog bite-related fatalities (DBRF)

However, like Old stated, the dog may was treated the same as he treated his dog and therefore not an owner issue.  I believe there are many other reasons out there for a dog to act aggressive but one that keeps coming up is health issues with a dog. 

http://k9aggression.com/medical-issues-overview/

Up to 50% of the behavior cases seen by University of Pennsylvania have additional medical complications. But while it is difficult to determine whether a medical condition is solely responsible for your dog’s aggression, it is common for sick dogs and dogs in pain to behave differently than they normally would when they are feeling well.

A few medical conditions that may cause aggressive behavior in dogs

•Any condition which causes inflammation of the brain, can also cause neurological problems, including aggression.

•Increased aggression around food and an increased appetite could be related to hormonal diseases.

•Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome which is associated with age related degeneration can be managed through medication, and environmental and behavior modification.

•The loss of hearing or sight can cause a dog to be caught off guard, resulting in aggression.

•Epilepsy may also lead to aggression.  Certain dog breeds are more likely than others are more susceptible to hereditary Primary Epilepsy, but there are many other causes of epilepsy, some of which are unknown.

SOIS is right (on non-health or owner related issues), getting a dog fixed helps.

Selective breeding can in fact cause aggressive behavior in dogs (or any other animals to include humans).  However, if as Old stated the dog never caused a problem before, was treated well by the owners, etc...  then IMHO the dog had an underlying issue besides the genetic makeup of the dog.   Otherwise, the neighbors dog would have shown its true colors well before the attack on his dog happened if it was genetic/selective breeding.

Excuse my wording, I am not a Vet, a CDC spokesperson, or other recognized expert in the field of animal study.  Just trying to connect the dots.

Biggest mistake they made was not getting it fixed.  Sorry to be repetitive, but that's a huge deal with aggressive dogs.  My friend has a boxer/blue heeler mix.  I was terrified of that dog when they first got it.  They fixed it and now the dog is virtually a kitty.  Complete 180 in terms of aggression.

M'eh.He just now reached puberty.  I think they planned on breeding him. But they found out his Dad

killed a calf in a similar manner after he was born. Don't get me wrong, cutting a males nutts out of 

him will definitely calm him down. But I think this dog had it in him from the get go. My main point is

you don't always blame the owner. 

Anyway, I personally would never own a dog that had the potential to do so much damage.

And as far as dogs that can do and usually are the ones that do a lot of damage, Pits are 

at the top of the list. 

Really sorry for your loss, Old. The world is better off without that pit. Whatever genetic craziness made it maul your dog won't get passed on to any more puppies.

I have a Boxer that is not mean, but very territorial... Will get between my boys and strangers and you can see the hair on his back stand up... he wont take his eyes off them.... He also hates repair men...

...but he has never bit anyone.. just watched and growled.

I have a purebred Boxer and he is the same way. Very sweet, gentle, cuddly, but he is super territorial and has a sixth sense about people. Some people he just fucking hates and will follow around and bark at. It's particularly tall men with dark facial hair, for some reason. He's never bitten anyone but I have to ease him into social situations when new people are over, just in case.

M'eh.He just now reached puberty.  I think they planned on breeding him. ... My main point is

you don't always blame the owner. 

F them then.  Breeding dogs is gay.  Lots of pits get put down every day, why the hell are they breeding more?  

I blame the owner 100% in this case.

Blaming the owner is important, but excusing the breed is a poor move.

In the 1800s, big cities in the U.S. had rat problems. Dogs were used in large numbers to kill the rats, particularly the terrier breeds (like, suprise surprise, the rat terrier). Terriers are animal aggressive breeds that are used to hunt small vermin. An offshoot of this rat killing was the pastime of mixing it with gambling. People would throw a terrier into a pit with rats, and bet on the outcome. Who would win? How many would the terrier kill before getting tired? How long would it take to kill all of the rats? The 'sport' became big...

This led to people trying to breed better rat killers. They wanted the animal aggression of the terrier, but more size, power, and ferocity. People started mixing the terriers with various breeds, especially the American Bulldog. What resulted was a massively powerful dog that shredded rats so fast it wasn't worth betting on them. What was worth betting on, though, was what would happen when you threw two of these 'pit' bulls in a pit against each other. That is the origin of the breed, and that, predominantly, is still the breed today. Loyalty to their owner was bred in, but Pitbulls were created to kill animals, and only their owner is spared...

That's what is so troubling about the breed. They are so loyal to their owner, people without an understanding of the breed think they own an unjustly demonized saint. They don't obedience train. They don't socialize. They don't stay vigil against what their dog could do. What happens all to often is that a Pitbull will get lose, go after a neighbor's pet, and go through anyone that tries to get between them.

Pitbulls aren't like many other breeds in that they are so uniquely bred to kill. Poor ownership is a factor, but mostly because the owners fail to realize both the powerful potential of the bulldog in the breed, and the animal aggression of the terrier in them...

I respect the capabilities of Pitbulls, and fear the stupidity of most of their owners.

In the 1800s, big cities in the U.S. had rat problems. Dogs were used in large numbers to kill the rats, particularly the terrier breeds (like, suprise surprise, the rat terrier). Terriers are animal aggressive breeds that are used to hunt small vermin. An offshoot of this rat killing was the pastime of mixing it with gambling. People would throw a terrier into a pit with rats, and bet on the outcome. Who would win? How many would the terrier kill before getting tired? How long would it take to kill all of the rats? The 'sport' became big...

This led to people trying to breed better rat killers. They wanted the animal aggression of the terrier, but more size, power, and ferocity. People started mixing the terriers with various breeds, especially the American Bulldog. What resulted was a massively powerful dog that shredded rats so fast it wasn't worth betting on them. What was worth betting on, though, was what would happen when you threw two of these 'pit' bulls in a pit against each other. That is the origin of the breed, and that, predominantly, is still the breed today. Loyalty to their owner was bred in, but Pitbulls were created to kill animals, and only their owner is spared...

That's what is so troubling about the breed. They are so loyal to their owner, people without an understanding of the breed think they own an unjustly demonized saint. They don't obedience train. They don't socialize. They don't stay vigil against what their dog could do. What happens all to often is that a Pitbull will get lose, go after a neighbor's pet, and go through anyone that tries to get between them.

Pitbulls aren't like many other breeds in that they are so uniquely bred to kill. Poor ownership is a factor, but mostly because the owners fail to realize both the powerful potential of the bulldog in the breed, and the animal aggression of the terrier in them...

I respect the capabilities of Pitbulls, and fear the stupidity of most of their owners.

Informative and well said. I'd give you more than a single +1 if I could. 

I have owned a pit bull, bought it as a puppy and were told it was something else, by the time it was undeniable it was a pit it was already part of the family. This was with an ex gf, btw. So I had two mutts already, still have them both, and the pit fit in just fine until she hit about a year, then she and my female mutt started fighting constantly. it got to a point where they couldn't be in the same room. Well my gf at the time blamed my dog, and I was determined to fix this behavior so I didn't force the issue with the pit, helped that she was so sweet toward people and you could tell she would kill for her masters. Well that relationship ended and I took my dogs and left the ex with the pit and the cat, which actually were kind of sweet together when they played. Well a couple months go by and the ex gets another dog. That thing was killed the first time the dogs were left alone together. She got rid of the pit, not sure if she put it down or found a new home but she got rid of it. I think the problem most people have with owning pits is they think that just because the dog is sweet and gentle with their baby that it will be the same around other dogs. For some pits this true, for some it is the furthest thing from. I do think pits can make great pets, but only people with proper knowledge of the breed should attempt to own one. They are dangerous when left to their natural instincts, which allowing them to run in a "pack" off leash would only seem to exasperate.

Thats just half the story....the other half is even scarier. Killing rats is one thing. Being taught to attack something 10 times your size is another.

http://www.dontbullymybreed.org/breedhistory.php

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/07/17223707-pair-of-pit-bulls-maul-14-month-old-boy-killing-him?lite

It's a terrible thing that happened in Walworth County.  Unfortunately, Pit Bulls are not all that uncommon there in Walworth County.  Granted this may have been the first fatality in a long time in Walworth County but there have been other attacks which have not lead to fatalities but injuries were sustained nonetheless.  Here is a video of a man who owned 2 Pit Bulls in Walworth County that released them upon deputies...  Note the political sign in his yard.  A man that openly hostile towards authority leads me to believe he trained those dogs to be aggressive.  Nobody in their right mind is going to admit to training/abusing their dogs to act aggressive.  Therefore, we always hear we didn't know or never saw a sign or how loving their dogs are comments come out...

http://www.todaystmj4.com/multimedia/videos/?bctid=1863097196001

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/07/17223707-pair-of-pit-bulls-maul-14-month-old-boy-killing-him?lite

I heard about that on the radio on the way to work this morning. I was upset thinking about it all day.

I just kept picturing the injuries my dog sustained and the damage two could have done to a 14 month child. 

It tore me up to see my dog like that. My child? They would have to put me in a padded cell. 

Should the thread be closed or titled differently? If my dog was killed, I wouldn't want to see the damn thread I started every day. I guess that's Old's call... just throwing the idea out there.

It's alright. It's not like I don't think about it all the time anyway. 

My Neighbor's Wife is still in the Hospital. And he is mad at me. 

I heard about that on the radio on the way to work this morning. I was upset thinking about it all day.

I just kept picturing the injuries my dog sustained and the damage two could have done to a 14 month child. 

It tore me up to see my dog like that. My child? They would have to put me in a padded cell. 

It's alright. It's not like I don't think about it all the time anyway. 

My Neighbor's Wife is still in the Hospital. And he is mad at me. 

WUT?  :blink:

Yeah, nothing you can do about that Old.  The crazy runs deep in that one... 

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah it's fine. I think. ITts peed on the couch twice since we have been home but is acting fine. It just drives me nuts. I was walking my dog in a public park, the dog pulled out if its owners hand and ran about 30 feet and jumped on my dog. I pulled that dog off while my dog was screaming and its owner was standing off to the side. The owner was like what do I do what do I do....I was like grab your dog. She said it wasn't her dog it was her husbands. huh?

It just drives me crazy. I have an australian shepard and have had a golden retriever. Those dogs don't do this crap. Why would you want a dog like this?

BTW-I am emotional and angry so I am probably over stating things. I have liked bulldogs in the past but the things were all bred to kill and it just keeps happening. I live in Hilliard in Columbus which is a good area. but my dog has been bit or attacked 3-4 times and every time its been a pitt or a bulldog. I want to ignore it and say its the owner. I really do.

I was bit by a bulldog 4-5 years ago. I was at a friend's house, reached down to grab a bag I brought, and the little bitch bit me; scar is barely visible anymore. Had to get some antibiotics because the lymph nodes up into my arm swelled up about a week later.

Archived