My neighbor's pitbull killed my dog and I'm pissed!!!

oldschooler

Sorry to hear that man. I just don't get why people dont have dogs that would be good around kids.

Some people think it's gay to have a little dog. I love them, they are easy to transport, don't eat a lot and have small shits

I feel for you.  This sort of thing is big news in the UK nearly every other week now.  It stinks!  I don't know how tight the "dangerous dog" laws are in the US but they aren't nearly strict enough over here.

Only last week, a 6 year old girl was mauled to death by a pack of dogs whilst playing out in the garden.

Something needs to be done.  I put it down to the owners of such dogs.  They have insecurities and don't like being intimidated by anything so they buy a dangerous dog.  I used to know someone like this.  He bought himself a Mastiff and I asked "why do you need such a big dog?".  He said "protection".  Protection from what!  He lives in a crime free area with no hostilities.

• 1 month later...

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/06/11/5-year-old-boy-who-survived-moore-tornado-dies-in-dog-attack/

5-Year-Old Boy Who Survived Moore Tornado Dies In Dog Attack

JESSIEVILLE, Ark. (CBS Houston) — A 5-year-old boy who survived last month’s deadly tornado in Moore, Okla., was killed in a dog attack at a family friend’s home in Jessieville, Ark.

KTHV-TV reports that a Bull Mastiff dog attacked the boy Saturday afternoon after he began throwing a temper tantrum.

“The dog possibly attacked because he felt threatened,” Garland County Deputy Scott Hinojosa told KTHV.

Lynn Geiling, 50, and her husband tried to pull the dog off the boy. KLRT-TV reports that the boy suffered “major lacerations” to the head and neck during the attack.

The boy later died at Mercy Hospital in Hot Springs.

“You can’t imagine, you know, what this family and friends are going through right now,” Hinojosa told KLRT.

The boy and his 2-year-old sister were staying with family friends in Arkansas as their parents stayed back in Moore to rebuild.

KTHV reports that the dog has been put down.

The May 20 tornado in Moore killed 24 people.

I feel for you.  This sort of thing is big news in the UK nearly every other week now.  It stinks!  I don't know how tight the "dangerous dog" laws are in the US but they aren't nearly strict enough over here.

Only last week, a 6 year old girl was mauled to death by a pack of dogs whilst playing out in the garden.

Something needs to be done.  I put it down to the owners of such dogs.  They have insecurities and don't like being intimidated by anything so they buy a dangerous dog.  I used to know someone like this.  He bought himself a Mastiff and I asked "why do you need such a big dog?".  He said "protection".  Protection from what!  He lives in a crime free area with no hostilities.

Some people just like big dogs too.

• 1 year later...

Took my dog to the frog park again tonight. 2 Pitts there got aggressive with my dog again. I just don't get it. The more I research these dogs the more I think it's ridiculous to own one. I have met very very nice ones but they seem like loaded guns.

Take your dogs to a dog park. Your first mistake was taking them to a frog park. All dogs can get aggressive. Pit bulls just have more strength behind their aggressiveness IMHO. Bring mace next time or hamburger with crushed glass embedded in it.

Read something about a month ago on this subject ... obviously it is the breed.

Pit bulls make up 6 percent of the dog population in Canada and the US, but they are responsible for 68 percent of dog attacks and 52 percent of dog-related deaths from 1982 to 2009, TIME Magazine reported.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/06/24/but-pitbull-would-never-attack-may-wishful-thinking/ptsvtZc0DhiFbonPuCL1cI/story.html

By the way, I have 2 dogs now. One is 8 month old Beagle named Bella.

The other is a 4 month old chihuahua named Brutus. 

Old, I didn't see this when you posted it, so sorry about your dog.

My wife and I argue about this all the time. She says it only matters how they are raised, I say it's how they were bred. There are constant stories on the news about pit bull attacks just like what happened with your dog, and often attacks against children and even adults. The biggest problem with them is the power in their jaws and their tenacity. They generally don't stop until whatever they are attacking is dead, and they are powerful enough that even a grown man can be killed by them, especially if there is more than one which is often the case.

The people behind me have one. It comes in my yard and plays with my boxer. It tore a hole through a chain link fence so it could get over here. Twice. I don't know how it gets over here now, I assume it jumps the fence. I have a shed that blocks that section of fence so I don't see it coming in.I chase it home every time and I yelled at the owner that I didn't ever want to see it over here again. My wife lets it stay and doesn't chase it off. We have new neighbors next door and they have a little boy and two little dogs. Some day I will no doubt have to shoot that dog, I just hope it is before he can hurt an animal or a child. I love animals, particularly dogs, but I have no use for pitbulls. This one, just like you always hear, seems happy and harmless but instinct takes over in that breed. It happens too often to dismiss it as bad owners.

Old, I didn't see this when you posted it, so sorry about your dog.

My wife and I argue about this all the time. She says it only matters how they are raised, I say it's how they were bred. There are constant stories on the news about pit bull attacks just like what happened with your dog, and often attacks against children and even adults. The biggest problem with them is the power in their jaws and their tenacity. They generally don't stop until whatever they are attacking is dead, and they are powerful enough that even a grown man can be killed by them, especially if there is more than one which is often the case.

The people behind me have one. It comes in my yard and plays with my boxer. It tore a hole through a chain link fence so it could get over here. Twice. I don't know how it gets over here now, I assume it jumps the fence. I have a shed that blocks that section of fence so I don't see it coming in.I chase it home every time and I yelled at the owner that I didn't ever want to see it over here again. My wife lets it stay and doesn't chase it off. We have new neighbors next door and they have a little boy and two little dogs. Some day I will no doubt have to shoot that dog, I just hope it is before he can hurt an animal or a child. I love animals, particularly dogs, but I have no use for pitbulls. This one, just like you always hear, seems happy and harmless but instinct takes over in that breed. It happens too often to dismiss it as bad owners.

Agree with you, 100%.

Take your dogs to a dog park. Your first mistake was taking them to a frog park. All dogs can get aggressive. Pit bulls just have more strength behind their aggressiveness IMHO. Bring mace next time or hamburger with crushed glass embedded in it.

I totally messed this up. and good ideas. 

Archived