Wealth Inequality in America

oldschooler

What would it solve. Can you revolt against the vice if greed

No but you can reset the balances of equality. if you think the 1% has so much power you'd be shocked to see how much the lower 40% has if they could just mobilize. The working poor needs a champion along the lines of Bobby Kennedy or MLK and right now there's nobody relevant enough taking up their cause. I thought maybe Obama would be the one but he clearly is not.

No but you can reset the balances of equality. if you think the 1% has so much power you'd be shocked to see how much the lower 40% has if they could just mobilize. The working poor needs a champion along the lines of Bobby Kennedy or MLK and right now there's nobody relevant enough taking up their cause. I thought maybe Obama would be the one but he clearly is not.

Viva la revolucion!

The poor 40% are complicit because they want to be the 1%.

I have been passing this along already...we should be facebook pals.

Its gross, but what do you do about it? IMO the single biggest issue in politics now. We need campaign finance reform.

Policy must be written to encourage spending.

I think I drew up a progressive estate tax plan on here once.  Aka die at 35 years old pay 1% estate tax, but die at 80 pay 75% estate tax.  My main angle was young people can save, old people need to spend.  Now remember, estate taxes only affect those with high net worth anyway, so this law wouldn't be encouraging a poor grandma to go blow her $$$ or get hit with a tax bill.  

This is my best idea to attack this.  Make it more beneficial to spend than hoard.  Maybe give more writeoffs.  That would encourage spending now vs waiting til death.  

Agree with all of this, especially the bold. i don't see anyone else in the arena that might be, either.

There is nothing healthy about an economy like this, a hollowing out of the middle class means less folks to buy products to keep things working. Sois is right we need policies to push spending, but also the mininum wage raise would work, but only if it's tied to inflation so that if they tried to raise prices wages would raise too, that way there is no incentitive to raise prices, if it's not tied to inflation there is no point because long term prices arent sticky.

There is nothing healthy about an economy like this, a hollowing out of the middle class means less folks to buy products to keep things working. Sois is right we need policies to push spending, but also the mininum wage raise would work, but only if it's tied to inflation so that if they tried to raise prices wages would raise too, that way there is no incentitive to raise prices, if it's not tied to inflation there is no point because long term prices arent sticky.

How could you tie the two together though? Make it a national policy that minimum wage must increase as inflation increases?

How could you tie the two together though? Make it a national policy that minimum wage must increase as inflation increases?

Yes exactly that.

Although T-Dubb had a point that one of the possiblities to come out of raising the MW (even without tying it to inflation) is that you will pay the same for less of product, so less food for the same price ect...

I'd like to think that consumer demand would insist that not happen, but that's hard to say. I will say that if tied to inflation, raising the MW will do wonders for the economy though.

• 1 month later...

I saw this a couple of weeks ago.  Basically, a friggin Excel spreadsheet error is a big reason for the whole Austerity movement.  As an accountant I too have made a few excel errors, but jeebus nothing this bad.  My wife said, "That's why you use Pivot Tables!"   :)

What is even more troubling is that it went through the peer review process and still was missed.

I saw this a couple of weeks ago.  Basically, a friggin Excel spreadsheet error is a big reason for the whole Austerity movement.  As an accountant I too have made a few excel errors, but jeebus nothing this bad.  My wife said, "That's why you use Pivot Tables!"   :)

Your wife sounds hot.  No ninja.

For some reason I am having trouble creating threads at work so Ill put this here....

http://youtu.be/YRdJod4wjSE

Average of averages, a big no-no.  That's JV, bro.  Rookie Excel-age.  

I think you should get the rich to spend more which boosts the economy..Rich people are holding back..also, please help small business get going they are the core to the economy..with obomascare in place our economy will fall a bit and small businesses will take the hit.

I think you should get the rich to spend more which boosts the economy..Rich people are holding back..also, please help small business get going they are the core to the economy..with obomascare in place our economy will fall a bit and small businesses will take the hit.

LOL_WUT_PEAR.jpg

Archived