Wealth Inequality in America

oldschooler

I think you should get the rich to spend more which boosts the economy..Rich people are holding back..also, please help small business get going they are the core to the economy..with obomascare in place our economy will fall a bit and small businesses will take the hit.

Do you have any opinions that are based on facts and isn't some Rush Limbaugh/Glenn Beck/Sean Hannity talking point? 

Do you read anything that is non-biased and form your own opinions on things, because it seems like you listen to these guys and repeat whatever they say regardless if it actually true or not.

FYI, Limbaugh is in it for the ratings, Beck is trying to sell you a book, and Hannity just wants you to continue to watch Fox News...truth be damned.

obomascare is obomacare it will destroy the small business..

Please tell me how you know this? What do you even know about the AHA?

I think you should get the rich to spend more which boosts the economy..Rich people are holding back..also, please help small business get going they are the core to the economy..with obomascare in place our economy will fall a bit and small businesses will take the hit.

I like this idea, what policy would you enact to encourage the wealth hoarders to spend?

I know what it is, I know it will help small business not hurt it.

uh no...have you heard Papa john's pizza rates will go up because of Obomascare....Cvs will penalize worker's because of weight..wages will be lower because business's cannot afford obomascare..business have already said there will be layoffs because of this...

Read this.

Then come back when you can actually discuss the act instead of spewing shrill, mindless rhetoric....

I can't open this sorry!

uh no...have you heard Papa john's pizza rates will go up because of Obomascare....Cvs will penalize worker's because of weight..wages will be lower because business's cannot afford obomascare..business have already said there will be layoffs because of this...

I can't open this sorry!

Uh have you heard that Papa John's stock has gone down because of what they said about Obama care?

And you cant lower wages much more in companies like that because there are minium wage laws.

If anything Obamacare will allow employers of small business to remove their health insurance in favor of the government option which will actually save them money.

well Verizion wireless have had to up there fee's because of Obomacare..People at hospitals are losing there bonus's because they will have to invest in Obomacare..So where do you get your info? oh well maybe everybody is wrong..

I like this idea, what policy would you enact to encourage the wealth hoarders to spend?

tax the rich less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well Verizion wireless have had to up there fee's because of Obomacare..People at hospitals are losing there bonus's because they will have to invest in Obomacare..So where do you get your info? oh well maybe everybody is wrong..

tax the rich less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taxing the rich less doesnt encourage them to spend it, they will just put it in their bank accounts and save it, this is what we call a liquidity trap, which we are currently in, It's like you have no concept of economics.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/04/17/walmart-pays-workers-poorly-and-sinks-while-costco-pays-workers-well-and-sails-proof-that-you-get-what-you-pay-for/

Walmart Pays Workers Poorly And Sinks While Costco Pays Workers Well And Sails-Proof That You Get What You Pay For

Costco’s most recent quarterly earnings report reveals a fairly healthy eight percent rate of growth in year-on-year sales—including a five percent rise in same store sales. What’s more, with membership fees rising from $459 million in the same quarter last year to $528 million this year, it’s pretty clear that a significant number of customers are moving over to the retailer to do their discount shopping.

Meanwhile, Costco’s primary competitor, Walmart, saw an anemic 1.2 percent rise in sales, while other competitors such as J.C. Penny and Target TGT +1.05% experienced even greater disasters in their sales results.

In an identical economy, how do we explain Costco’s growth vis-à-vis the failures over at Walmart?

Here’s a crazy thought—might it have something to do with the fact that Costco pays nearly all of its employees a decent living (well in excess of the minimum wage) while Wal-Mart continues to pay its workers as if their employees don’t actually need to eat more than once a week, live in an enclosed space and, on occasion, take their kids to see a doctor?

And just in case the occasional Walmart employee finds a way to squeak by, the company has sought to put an end to that by cutting their employment roster by 1.4 percent, even as they increased their store count by thirteen percent.

The result?

Walmart service now pretty much sucks—and customers don’t like it.

Without enough employees to get the basic work of a retail operation done—and with those on site being paid a wage so low that it is difficult to expect much in the way of pride or motivation—Wal-Mart merchandise remains stacked on pallets in the warehouse rather than making it to the floor where customers can find the products they want. At the same time, check-out lines are painfully long and annoying as the overall shopping experience continues to deteriorate.

One is left to wonder about the value of offering products at a lower price if those products are not on the shelves when the customer needs to buy them?

Per Bloomberg Businessweek:

Wal-Mart Stores WMT +0.24% (WMT) has been cutting staff since the recession—and pallets of merchandise are piling up in its stockrooms as shelves go unfilled. In the past five years the world’s largest retailer added 455 U.S. Walmart stores, a 13 percent increase, according to company filings in late January. In the same period its total U.S. workforce, which includes employees at its Sam’s Club warehouse stores, dropped by about 20,000, or 1.4 percent.” The article continues, “A thinly spread workforce has other consequences: longer checkout lines, less help throughout the store, and disorganization. Last month, Walmart placed last among department and discount stores in the American Customer Satisfaction Index, the sixth year in a row the company has either tied or taken the last spot. The dwindling level of customer service comes as Walmart has touted its in-store experience to lure financially strained shoppers and to counter the threat from online rivals such as Amazon.com AMZN +1.51% (AMZN).”

So, does paying an employee a living wage make a difference when it comes to profits?

Harold Myerson writes in a terrific piece published in today’s WashPo

“One lesson that emerges from the experience of low-end retailers is that putting workers in crummy, low-wage jobs tends to yield crummy service as well. McDonald’s earnings have fallen, the Wall Street Journal reports, and a management webcast to franchise owners acknowledged that customer dissatisfaction is rising in part because “service is broken.” Myerson adds, “Some of the most successful retailers follow a different path. As MIT management professor Zeynep Ton argued in Harvard Business Review last year, Costco and Trader Joe’s pay their workers far more than many of their competitors, offer their employees opportunities for promotion and enjoy markedly lower worker turnover and far higher sales per employee than their low-road counterparts. Sales per employee at Costco are nearly double that at Sam’s Club.(emphasis added)”

As the old saw goes, you get what you pay for.  Costco pays their employees a livable wage and gets sales per employee at double what Walmart subsidiary Sam’s Club gets from their employees who work for lousy pay.

Maybe the time has come for Wal-Mart to take a lesson from Costco and consider the potential upside of treating employees like human beings.

It might just prove to be good for business.

Good article, also keep in mind that if you pay your workers enough they will have money to spend at the place in which they work. That's how Ford grew their business and that model still works to this day.

Your employees should be your best customers, especially at a place like Walmart.

Good article, also keep in mind that if you pay your workers enough they will have money to spend at the place in which they work. That's how Ford grew their business and that model still works to this day.

Your employees should be your best customers, especially at a place like Walmart.

Exactly.

I can't open this sorry!

First off Papa Johns and CVS are not small businesses, they are both publicly traded companies...they are the exact opposite of small business..so where are you getting your info from.

Also, Papa John is a douche bag because he would rather give away millions of free pizzas at a cost to his company than take care of his workers by providing them healthcare...here's a great aricle on that http://www.forbes.com/sites/calebmelby/2012/11/12/breaking-down-centi-millionaire-papa-john-schnatters-obamacare-math/

These publically traded companies are using Obamacare as an excuse to raise prices, just like they used the recession as an excuse to hoard cash, cut salaries, and lay off workers. Sure some cost may go up but not to the levels that they claim, since the average person doesn't really know how the AHA will effect the country they can say, it's that damn Obamacare and raise their prices...

First off Papa Johns and CVS are not small businesses, they are both publicly traded companies...they are the exact opposite of small business..so where are you getting your info from.

Also, Papa John is a douche bag because he would rather give away millions of free pizzas at a cost to his company than take care of his workers by providing them healthcare...here's a great aricle on that http://www.forbes.com/sites/calebmelby/2012/11/12/breaking-down-centi-millionaire-papa-john-schnatters-obamacare-math/

These publically traded companies are using Obamacare as an excuse to raise prices, just like they used the recession as an excuse to hoard cash, cut salaries, and lay off workers. Sure some cost may go up but not to the levels that they claim, since the average person doesn't really know how the AHA will effect the country they can say, it's that damn Obamacare and raise their prices...

least he gives things away that is kind of him but not more free pizza's because of Obomacare..

Taxing the rich less doesnt encourage them to spend it, they will just put it in their bank accounts and save it, this is what we call a liquidity trap, which we are currently in, It's like you have no concept of economics.

it worked fine in the Bush era..the only reason the stock market collapsed is because Bush had to deal with Clinton mistakes..Clinton era everybody could get a loan..that is why our housing market crashed a bit!

I do have to commend Justice for remaining 'civil' during the mockery thrown her way.  Kudos to you for that!

Now, the mockery is well deserved.  You sound very un-educated actually and you seem to take what the television tells you as 'gospel'.  Your arguments are from semi racist chain emails and news stations only....

I challenge you to think outside the box (television box first and foremost) and dig a little deeper into these talking points you're parroting from whomever.  Be your own person, think for yourself.  Don't be lazy....it's the easy thing.  Truth is very, VERY inconvenient at times but it remains the truth. 

it worked fine in the Bush era..the only reason the stock market collapsed is because Bush had to deal with Clinton mistakes..Clinton era everybody could get a loan..that is why our housing market crashed a bit!

Bush = Obama = Clinton

Partisan politics have got this nation acting like fools.

least he gives things away that is kind of him but not more free pizza's because of Obomacare..

Sorry I don't understand what you are trying to say here, are you saying it's kind of him to give away free pizza but not provide healthcare for his workers? If that's the case then I don't agree, I think the kind thing to do would be to provide healthcare to his employees, the people who run his business. They will sell pizzas if he gives them away or not.

You're a troll, I'm convinced...sorry guys I'm out!

No it didnt work fine in the Bush era, we are currently dealing with the propblems of the Bush era.

Clinton had a surplus and a good ecnonomy. Now I absoltuly believe he made some serious mistakes that in addition to the Bush era are causeing some of our problems today, he deregualted the economy, that was his big mistake.

Yes or no, do you know what a liquidity trap is?

Sorry I don't understand what you are trying to say here, are you saying it's kind of him to give away free pizza but not provide healthcare for his workers? If that's the case then I don't agree, I think the kind thing to do would be to provide healthcare to his employees, the people who run his business. They will sell pizzas if he gives them away or not.

You're a troll, I'm convinced...sorry guys I'm out!

Here's the scary part.....I don't think she's a troll at all....I just think she's that dumb (brainwashed).

Archived