Wealth Inequality in America

oldschooler

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I went to Hawaii (the big island) almost a year ago to visit a friend for a week, what he is talking about is very true, the North side of the Island is dirt poor while the tourist side lives large. It's a shame.

47 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I went to Hawaii (the big island) almost a year ago to visit a friend for a week, what he is talking about is very true, the North side of the Island is dirt poor while the tourist side lives large. It's a shame.

I went to Maui in the late 80's. So yeah I saw it first hand.

Like two completely different worlds right beside each other.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Interesting that the top 0.1% are earning "wages" in any sort of traditional sense.  Dividends or the like, sure, but wages?  It's misleading because most wage-earners are just that; standard employees with no real stake in their company.  I think it's important to note the difference between that & an income based on (at least partial) ownership of the company itself.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Interesting that the top 0.1% are earning "wages" in any sort of traditional sense.  Dividends or the like, sure, but wages?  It's misleading because most wage-earners are just that; standard employees with no real stake in their company.  I think it's important to note the difference between that & an income based on (at least partial) ownership of the company itself.

Which as much as I love AOC her proposal for 70% marginal tax on income means little if these guys are just hiding their money as Capitol Gains.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Which as much as I love AOC her proposal for 70% marginal tax on income means little if these guys are just hiding their money as Capitol Gains.

Or just moving their headquarters out of the country so they're taxed (or not) by whatever local government.  Much cheaper to buy off the local despot.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived