Bengals start re-signing some guys (Peerman, Miles, Rey, Hawkins, Huber, Harris, Nugent, Gillberry, Geathers, Maualuga, Jones, Roland, Tate, Quinn)

I don't understand the rationale for re-signing Quinn. He didn't make the active roster once last year so it seems like a position screaming for an upgrade. There are plenty of vet TEs who are cheap. It is a buyer's market after all.

Camp body? At least with Quinn you know you like the guy I guess.

The Bengals are definitely looking for a blocking tight end.  They brought Spaeth in earlier this off-season.  Have shown some interest in Eiffert, who is a good blocker and catcher.  He's probably not in our draft range unless he takes a drastic fall to 53.  I'd be willing to bet they look for a guy in the later rounds.

I don't understand the rationale for re-signing Quinn. He didn't make the active roster once last year so it seems like a position screaming for an upgrade. There are plenty of vet TEs who are cheap. It is a buyer's market after all.

he was a RFA.  Basically already under contract as it was, and is known to be a good blocker, which they covet.  

I don't know why anyone would be worrying about the 3rd TE spot.

FWIW, Newman is less than a year younger than Winfield. Agree about him already knowing the system though.

my bad, read elsewhere Winfield was pushing 37.

Maybe Taveon Rogers and his 4.33 speed will show something

don't know much about Rogers past as a returner goes.

As for Tate, I don't mind him staying on kicks, its punts that I'd like to see them find a new guy to pair with Pacman.

I was surprised to notice this morning that Tate had the 10th best KR average in 2012.  Makes sense to resign him and then upgrade him if you can, but re-signing him ensures that you won't be DOWNGRADING the position, which is the key.

IMO the key to remember about deals like this is the status quo.  Free Agency downgrades you to start (addition by subtraction is largely a myth).  Re-sign the low-level guys, know you have the holes filled, and then go to work on upgrading them.  

You should always be trying to upgrade, but there's also something to be said for ensuring you don't downgrade.

Y'know.. I get the argument of not cutting guys until there's a replacement. That's sensible.

Thing is, these weren't cuts. These were fresh contracts for marginal players. I have a hard time believing there were no better options available than the likes of Tate and Roland and Maualuga. I don't expect them to break the bank in FA, but it was still an opportunity to improve the team, even if it was just for roster depth or some added potential here or there.

What they've done instead is tread water, and until Andre signs it's a stretch to say they've even done that. Aside from backup QB they've done nothing to improve the team, while retaining players that have proven to be inadequate.

So no, it's not the end of the world, but I don't see how anyone would be at fault for finding it a little disappointing. All this crap about "talking fans off the ledge" is pretty condescending. I'm not losing any sleep over this shit because the Bengals are a product like any other. When the most recent memory of them is a colossal bed-shitting in the playoffs, why should I be excited about them retaining guys who would struggle to make another team's roster?

It's ridiculous to claim that there wasn't a single free agent available that could improve this roster without breaking the bank. The Bengals have signed exactly none of them. I'm nowhere near this ledge they speak of but it's not very encouraging, either.

Y'know.. I get the argument of not cutting guys until there's a replacement. That's sensible.

Thing is, these weren't cuts. These were fresh contracts for marginal players. I have a hard time believing there were no better options available than the likes of Tate and Roland and Maualuga. I don't expect them to break the bank in FA, but it was still an opportunity to improve the team, even if it was just for roster depth or some added potential here or there.

What they've done instead is tread water, and until Andre signs it's a stretch to say they've even done that. Aside from backup QB they've done nothing to improve the team, while retaining players that have proven to be inadequate.

So no, it's not the end of the world, but I don't see how anyone would be at fault for finding it a little disappointing. All this crap about "talking fans off the ledge" is pretty condescending. I'm not losing any sleep over this shit because the Bengals are a product like any other. When the most recent memory of them is a colossal bed-shitting in the playoffs, why should I be excited about them retaining guys who would struggle to make another team's roster?

It's ridiculous to claim that there wasn't a single free agent available that could improve this roster without breaking the bank. The Bengals have signed exactly none of them. I'm nowhere near this ledge they speak of but it's not very encouraging, either.

outside of Ginn and maybe Leon Washington, I'm not sure there was much of a better upgrade than Tate in free agency.  Tate stinks as a punt returner, but he's a pretty good KR.  

As for Roland, I'm sure there's upgrades out there, but he's making peanuts, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him upgraded via draft or after June 1 cuts.  

Agree with everything other than I'm not sure they upgraded the backup qb

NFL.com reported that the Bengals agreed on one-year deal Saturday with wide receiver/kick returner Brandon Tate in a move that locks up virtually all of their key special teams performers from a unit that finished first when combining the NFL's top 10 categories.

tate130120_645.jpg
Brandon Tate

NFL.com reported that the Bengals agreed on one-year deal Saturday with wide receiver/kick returner Brandon Tate in a move that locks up virtually all of their key special teams performers from a unit that finished first when combining the NFL's top 10 categories.

But that won't prevent the Bengals from looking at another one in the draft with 10 picks at their disposal. Still, even if they had signed Ted Ginn Jr., off to Carolina for a one-year deal, their hope was also to bring back Tate, the man that has returned kicks and more than half of the team's punt returns the past two seasons.

After beginning last season as a regular wide receiver, Tate wasn't as explosve as he was the year before. His long punt returns in the second half of games against Buffalo, Seattlle and St. Louis were huge factors on the road to the playoffs in a 2011 season he set the franchise record for combined kickoff and punt returns in a season (93), as well as for total punt return yards (543) and most punt returns (51).

But Tate was splitting time this year with cornerback Adam Jones and while Jones finished seventh in the NFL with an 11.6 average on his 26 attempts, Tate was 18th with nearly nine yards per his 21 punt returns. He finished 13th in the NFL this past season averaging nearly 25 yards per kick return.

Rookie receivers Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones supplanted Tate, but the coaches like his speed, work ethic and toughness and what he offers on special teams.

On Saturday the Bengals officially announced the signing of backup quarterback Josh Johnson, as as well as an agreement with tight end Richard Quinn. Quinn was on the roster for 15 games last year, but never played.

“We’ll be in a competitive situation for our backup quarterbacks,” Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said in a news release, “and Josh is known to (Bengals offensive coordinator) Jay Gruden from when they were both with Tampa Bay. We like Josh’s ability and experience added to our mix.”

With Tate in the fold, it's estimated the Bengals have spent about $33-34 million in salary cap dollars since March 1. Since they're rolling over $10 million into next year to brace for big extensions with key players, they're not looking to do much beyond getting deals for right tackle Andre Smith and cornerback Terence Newman. They'll do some deals (backer, safety, QB?) but those most likely won't be major as thoughts turn to trying to get an extension with two-time Pro Bowl tackle Geno Atkins.

Tate and Jones return to a special teams corps that has also returned kicker Mike Nugent, punter Kevin Huberand long snapper Clark Harris, as well as top tacklers Jeromy Miles and Vincent Rey, and gunnerAndrew Hawkins. The major loss is Dan Skuta, the club's leading special teams tackler two of the last three seasons and the de facto special teams captain. 

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Report-Tate-in-the-fold/105791ea-1439-45d1-be25-d0840de4a3ea

NFL.com reported that the Bengals agreed on one-year deal Saturday with wide receiver/kick returner Brandon Tate in a move that locks up virtually all of their key special teams performers from a unit that finished first when combining the NFL's top 10 categories.

tate130120_645.jpg
Brandon Tate

NFL.com reported that the Bengals agreed on one-year deal Saturday with wide receiver/kick returner Brandon Tate in a move that locks up virtually all of their key special teams performers from a unit that finished first when combining the NFL's top 10 categories.

But that won't prevent the Bengals from looking at another one in the draft with 10 picks at their disposal. Still, even if they had signed Ted Ginn Jr., off to Carolina for a one-year deal, their hope was also to bring back Tate, the man that has returned kicks and more than half of the team's punt returns the past two seasons.

After beginning last season as a regular wide receiver, Tate wasn't as explosve as he was the year before. His long punt returns in the second half of games against Buffalo, Seattlle and St. Louis were huge factors on the road to the playoffs in a 2011 season he set the franchise record for combined kickoff and punt returns in a season (93), as well as for total punt return yards (543) and most punt returns (51).

But Tate was splitting time this year with cornerback Adam Jones and while Jones finished seventh in the NFL with an 11.6 average on his 26 attempts, Tate was 18th with nearly nine yards per his 21 punt returns. He finished 13th in the NFL this past season averaging nearly 25 yards per kick return.

Rookie receivers Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones supplanted Tate, but the coaches like his speed, work ethic and toughness and what he offers on special teams.

On Saturday the Bengals officially announced the signing of backup quarterback Josh Johnson, as as well as an agreement with tight end Richard Quinn. Quinn was on the roster for 15 games last year, but never played.

“We’ll be in a competitive situation for our backup quarterbacks,” Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said in a news release, “and Josh is known to (Bengals offensive coordinator) Jay Gruden from when they were both with Tampa Bay. We like Josh’s ability and experience added to our mix.”

With Tate in the fold, it's estimated the Bengals have spent about $33-34 million in salary cap dollars since March 1. Since they're rolling over $10 million into next year to brace for big extensions with key players, they're not looking to do much beyond getting deals for right tackle Andre Smith and cornerback Terence Newman. They'll do some deals (backer, safety, QB?) but those most likely won't be major as thoughts turn to trying to get an extension with two-time Pro Bowl tackle Geno Atkins.

Tate and Jones return to a special teams corps that has also returned kicker Mike Nugent, punter Kevin Huberand long snapper Clark Harris, as well as top tacklers Jeromy Miles and Vincent Rey, and gunnerAndrew Hawkins. The major loss is Dan Skuta, the club's leading special teams tackler two of the last three seasons and the de facto special teams captain. 

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Report-Tate-in-the-fold/105791ea-1439-45d1-be25-d0840de4a3ea

Blech!

Thing is, these weren't cuts. These were fresh contracts for marginal players. I have a hard time believing there were no better options available than the likes of Tate

Well, they did bring in Ginn Jr.  Trouble was, he didn't want to sign here to be just a spot player outside of KR duties.  Once they are out of options, they might as well sign Tate and pick up competition in the draft.

outside of Ginn and maybe Leon Washington, I'm not sure there was much of a better upgrade than Tate in free agency.  Tate stinks as a punt returner, but he's a pretty good KR.  

As for Roland, I'm sure there's upgrades out there, but he's making peanuts, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him upgraded via draft or after June 1 cuts.  

Obviously Marvin agrees with you. But I don't like Tate on kickoffs because he insists on bringing it out deep in the end zone too often. Don't like his vision either.

I actually think Tate was a better punt returner than KR, which I didn't expect, since he was a solid KR in NE and didn't return punts there. He's not Devin Hester, but statistically, he's been solid.

I don't mind them bringing him back to compete for a spot. I thought he'd do more in the passing game, but after starting out pretty well, he really didn't do much as 2012 progressed. This spring, maybe we will see guys like Marvin Jones, Hawkins, and others also in the mix for returning duties.

Agree with everything other than I'm not sure they upgraded the backup qb

I guess I was trying to give them credit for doing something?  It's not even about the quality of the guys they brought back so much as that they're bringing back every single one that hasn't signed elsewhere.  They could've made an upgrade at one of these spots, at least.  This isn't some SB champion dream team that has to be kept intact at all costs.  I think FA tends to be overrated but it would have been nice to see them make some kind of effort.

I actually think Tate was a better punt returner than KR, which I didn't expect, since he was a solid KR in NE and didn't return punts there. He's not Devin Hester, but statistically, he's been solid.

I don't mind them bringing him back to compete for a spot. I thought he'd do more in the passing game, but after starting out pretty well, he really didn't do much as 2012 progressed. This spring, maybe we will see guys like Marvin Jones, Hawkins, and others also in the mix for returning duties.

I think that's probably the biggest disappointment with him and why they will upgrade him if they can.  He's given you next to nothing at WR.  37 career catches in 5 seasons.

Archived