Got a DIRECTV Genie - Love this thing...

So i bought a directv Genie DVR on amazon for $135, i was a little skeptical on the price, since DTV wants $399 for it if you arent eligible for any promos, and $199 if you are. So i bought it knowing amazon had my back if something was wrong with it.

came brand new as advertised sealed box, unused activation card, etc.

I was able to call DTV, replaced my non HDDVR i had in my kids tv room on the account put the genie in my bedroom, and of course instantly tried to record 5 things at once, worked great.

The downside is i only have a SWM8 switch, so i can only have 8 tuners on my setup, i have the genie(5) and 2x hddvr (2 each) so 9, plus i will be adding 2 more in the basement for a total of 11.

So i have a DTV guy coming out wednesday to put in a SWM 16, so I can do 16 tuners. sucks the apptment will cost me $49 to unplug and plug some coax cables, but it all works out in the end.

i have the whole home DVR, so I can record 9 shows at once across all the DVR's and all share to every TV.

and since its part of my network setup i just did, they are all connected with cat5e cables so no dropping shows or cutting off while watching.

if anyone was on the fence about a Genie, GET IT!

its super fast, works great, fast menus and playback from everywhere.. just works great..

the only downside is its big, bigger than the HR24's i have, but about the same size as the older HDDVR's..

me, wife, kids, and i record all of the nuggets games to watch when i get home from work. i think there are 20-25 shows on the recordings list, its not uncommon for 2-3 to be on at the same time, the wife watches smash and american idol(which is on for HOURS, several days a week, etc.. 9 isnt necessary, 5 would be plenty, but we already had the other two DVR's, so now we have plenty.

if we scheduled everything all planned out we could work it out on the 2x 2 shows DVR's, but its kind of a hassle, then when football comes along, i record the begnals games and the quick 30 min game recap each sunday night, so pile it all together and its convenient.

I usualy dont watch tv at all during the day, even if im off, i MAY have sportscenter in the background or something, but my work is so loud and annoying all day, i enjoy the pure quiet more than anything..

but at night i pound out whatever shows i like, and go to sleep.. i watch nothing live except some sports.. with work until 8-9pm some nights and kids and such, its hard to watch anyting..

Don't you have to pay extra for each box? Maybe the package we have has a lot of channels. We're at like $115ish or something and we only have 4 boxes right now. I think we have four boxes anyway. I'm sending the one in my bedroom back. It stopped working and I got use to not having it to I figured I could save some cash and turn it back in.

Don't you have to pay extra for each box? Maybe the package we have has a lot of channels. We're at like $115ish or something and we only have 4 boxes right now. I think we have four boxes anyway. I'm sending the one in my bedroom back. It stopped working and I got use to not having it to I figured I could save some cash and turn it back in.

i only have 3 boxes, i will have 5, for example, the Genie "box" has 5 tuners in it... so you pay per box, which i think the first one is free via  a bill credit, then i pay for each additional... i have 3 boxes and using 9 tuners in them(things that can record/watch at once). i will be adding two more single tuner boxes later this year..

I want the actual DirecTV Genie...in all her sexiness:

539961_534886969864898_696804691_n.png

i want this all over my face, pretty much all day long..

oh yea, before i got distracted, so DTV guy came today to install the SWM 16, looked at its location, saw my little LAN room across the hall from where it was, and  was like "man, why didnt they put it in there?" i told him i just built that part, he asked if i wanted it in there, i said hell yea... then went to work, came home and he went bonkers with it, extended all cables, moved the power hub from family room to basement, MOUNTED the swm 16 perfectly to the block i had the switch mounted to, bundled the cables, strung them along the I-beam and down the bottom of the stairway, impecable job, it looks GREAT and is very well organized...

cant say enough about someone who does that kind of quality work for a big company like DTV...

oh yea, before i got distracted, so DTV guy came today to install the SWM 16, looked at its location, saw my little LAN room across the hall from where it was, and  was like "man, why didnt they put it in there?" i told him i just built that part, he asked if i wanted it in there, i said hell yea... then went to work, came home and he went bonkers with it, extended all cables, moved the power hub from family room to basement, MOUNTED the swm 16 perfectly to the block i had the switch mounted to, bundled the cables, strung them along the I-beam and down the bottom of the stairway, impecable job, it looks GREAT and is very well organized...

cant say enough about someone who does that kind of quality work for a big company like DTV...

That's awesome.  It's nice to get someone who gives a shit about their work....I think they're subcontracted if I'm not mistaken.  Would make sense.

A way to save DVR space.

:lol:

so do you just want to watch things over and over and over? or just have a tiny DVR..

we probably have 45 shows/sports/events in the DVR ques, but that genie has a 2TB HD i think, we have probably 80 things on the dvr and have 98% available..

anything i want to keep i download and toss on apple tv library... so it doesnt glog dvr... is that basically what you are doing with dvd's?

• 3 weeks later...
Could I get the full lowdown on the Genie? We just bought a house, finally intend to have more than one TV, and now need to thoughtfully create the home entertainment system. Ideally, I want as few cables and boxes in the house as possible. Complicating things a bit, I have no idea where we'll more permanently locate the televisions. I'd like to. I'd like to limit the holes drilled through walls, but need to better understand how all of this works... So how does it work? Where is your Genie located? How is each television setup in your home? What cabling is done to each TV?

Thanks! Love finally owning a home, but my head is just spinning with all of the details involved in just getting into the place.

congrats on the home, you now have a project to work on for the rest of your life!

the geneie isnt anything too special, its just a massive DVR, it has 5 tuners, so you can eliminate the need for multiple DVR's, i previously had two dual tuner DVR's so I could record 2 shows on each, then with the whole home DVR it shares them to all HD DVR's in the house.

There are two ways you can do whole home DVR, one is via the coax network within the home- This method I used first, and i didnt care for, i would have to unplug each dvr once a month or two so they would find eachother on the system again. So when I did my home networking project I added a network cable for the dvr in each room i may ever want one. now they are networked via ethernet, and have worked faster and flawlessly using this method.

I kept the other two DVR's, so i have a Genie 5x dvr, and two HDDVR 2x's. so I can do 9 shows at once if needed. and they all share to eachother flawlessly.

if you only need the genie, you have 3 options in alternate rooms.

1. the H24 HD receiver - no DVR slightly smaller, but biggest receiver for this purpose, this is needed to share the dvr and watch HD TV on any other TV. $79-99

2. the Genie RVU add on box - this one is small, like 6x6" and can be strapped to the back of the tv or mounting on the wall behind it, etc. it simply shares the genie programming, etc. its also HD, i am told that there is slight lag, but this was only an issue for people who installed 2-3 tv's in a big finished basement kinda making their own sports bar scene, so probably not an issue for normal folks. $69-99

3. Buy a direct RVU enable samsung tv. they make 5-10 models that have RVU built in, so you just hook up the coax to the tv, and it handles everything from there, it essentially has a software version of a directv box built in. It is not easy to find info on these models, a forum i had found listed a few once, but they are a few years old, contacting directv on this would be wise. $0 over tv cost.

whole home DVR is $3/mo each receiver box is $6-9/mo, etc

these are all fees they waive pretty easily when i call every 6-8 months when my special pricing runs out.

they also have ipad and iphone apps so you can watch life tv as long as youre on the same network as your receiver, on your ipad, etc..

I have my Genie in my master bedroom, its a big dvr ox,almost double the normal DVR box. so it doesnt fit well in the book case in the family room, i will probably move it to the basement once i get that project done, but it doesnt matter where you put it, though it kinda makes sense to have it by the tv you watch most, as thats where youll device to dvr things the most, which i havent found a way to dvr things from another receiver to the genie yet.. but you can do it from the directv app on your phone within seconds too.

running cat5e jacks to my whole house was one of the best things  i have ever done. everything performs amazingly better than running 25 things off wifi all the time..

so do you just want to watch things over and over and over? or just have a tiny DVR..

we probably have 45 shows/sports/events in the DVR ques, but that genie has a 2TB HD i think, we have probably 80 things on the dvr and have 98% available..

anything i want to keep i download and toss on apple tv library... so it doesnt glog dvr... is that basically what you are doing with dvd's?

There are some shows I keep.  Every Bengals and Buckeyes win I burn to DVD.  Some specials (like an interview Bob Costas did with Bench Perez and Morgan, and some cooking shows.

Anyway, I just got the Genie yesterday.  But I have one question/concern.  We already had several DVRs, a few of which have shows on them I have kept.  Anyway, the other receivers only work if the Genie is turned on.  Anyone else getting that?

There are some shows I keep.  Every Bengals and Buckeyes win I burn to DVD.  Some specials (like an interview Bob Costas did with Bench Perez and Morgan, and some cooking shows.

Anyway, I just got the Genie yesterday.  But I have one question/concern.  We already had several DVRs, a few of which have shows on them I have kept.  Anyway, the other receivers only work if the Genie is turned on.  Anyone else getting that

not at all, my genie is rarely on...

wonder if they are daisy chained together how they are hooked up..

do you have a switch/hub thing somewhere that all of the coax outlets feed from?

it sounds like a problem with the amount of tuners(5 in the genie, 2 in any other dvr you have each, etc) and the amount you are alloted by the dish itself or the SWM switch... like i had to have upgraded..

my issue was opposite though, i had to turn some OFF to work them until i got upgraded...

• 2 months later...

Hey Go,

quick question: When they came to install Genie in my house, first surprise was that the mini clients had to have DirecTV wiring instead of pre-installed wiring. Big negative as I didn't want them to run new wires. DTV advertised the clients as WIFI clients. Was a big surprise to me. Did you have to run the DTV wire, or did you get around that requirement because you purchased the clients yourself?

Archived