Got a DIRECTV Genie - Love this thing...

Hey Go,

quick question: When they came to install Genie in my house, first surprise was that the mini clients had to have DirecTV wiring instead of pre-installed wiring. Big negative as I didn't want them to run new wires. DTV advertised the clients as WIFI clients. Was a big surprise to me. Did you have to run the DTV wire, or did you get around that requirement because you purchased the clients yourself?

existing wiring was fine, though i connected it myself and they activated it over the phone no problems... the only reason they had to come out was i needed a larger SWIM splitter, so thats all they did was replace the swim, etc... all the wiring was normal and stayed the same.

HOWEVER, the DTV guy did wet his pants over the wiring i was putting in in my basement when he did the swim, saying they only recomend blah balh wiring..blah blah... i put in better wiring than the builder so i know its good...

i dont use the RVU units though,i have HDDVR's everywhere else too.. but i dont see why that would matter..

the same guy i got mine from sells them still, if you wanted to get one without dealing with the BS...

existing wiring was fine, though i connected it myself and they activated it over the phone no problems... the only reason they had to come out was i needed a larger SWIM splitter, so thats all they did was replace the swim, etc... all the wiring was normal and stayed the same.

HOWEVER, the DTV guy did wet his pants over the wiring i was putting in in my basement when he did the swim, saying they only recomend blah balh wiring..blah blah... i put in better wiring than the builder so i know its good...

i dont use the RVU units though,i have HDDVR's everywhere else too.. but i dont see why that would matter..

the same guy i got mine from sells them still, if you wanted to get one without dealing with the BS...

How much they sell for? I might be interested, but just like you I would have to get the SWM installed for 16 tuners. Can you get the SWM also from this guy you know?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B006YTAGBO/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new  the seller i used was dishman2013.. he is asking $189 looks like now..

he doesnt sell the swim, youll want dtv to do that.. they run a second cable from the dish to the house for the swim... 

do you have old or weird wiring or something? i cant figure out how new wiring would be required.. anywhere except just coming into the house..

I just sold my house, and bought a much sweeter, nicer house. I kept my DirecTV, and they gave me a Genie setup.

I love it, even the new remote control seems to be great. And the speed of the Genie is unreal.

ah, so you got the HR44 then, the first genie uses the same old remotes, which i was cool with since i have badass bengals remotes...

cincinnati_bengals.gif

amish gave me one, and i bought another 2 along the way...

Did you get a GenieGo (formerly known as Nomad)? I got one but haven't got a chance to use it yet.

The builder of my home put in a corrugated pipe to run wires behind the fireplace below my tv, down to the basement, and then up into another wall. Which is awesome, until I tried pulling wires through it and it has obviously been crushed in at some point during construction, and after 6+ hours of effort I have pulled 2 cat5 cables through and one HDMI through (3 more HDMI to go). I borrowed a wall scope/camera, going to find out tomorrow how bad it is and try to figure out what the hell I can do to get the rest through.

Did you get a GenieGo (formerly known as Nomad)? I got one but haven't got a chance to use it yet.

The builder of my home put in a corrugated pipe to run wires behind the fireplace below my tv, down to the basement, and then up into another wall. Which is awesome, until I tried pulling wires through it and it has obviously been crushed in at some point during construction, and after 6+ hours of effort I have pulled 2 cat5 cables through and one HDMI through (3 more HDMI to go). I borrowed a wall scope/camera, going to find out tomorrow how bad it is and try to figure out what the hell I can do to get the rest through.

I ran mine myself for that, behind book case, into basement, over, up into wall, and behind TV...

i run all the HDMI into receiver so i ended up only using 1 of them for the tv.. but ran 4...

i later(recently) added cat5e(x3) and the banana plugs instead of just wires to the receiver for surround sound..

pretty glad how it ended up in the end..

i also am a big fan of the micro HDMI cables from monoprice.. they are one directional(one end for tv one for units) but super tiny,.. they work great obviously..

kinda pricey.. but worth it for my use..

• 1 month later...

Archived