DoD To Charge Admission Fee For Base Access To Fix Budget Shortfalls

Numbers

DoD To Charge Admission Fee For Base Access To Fix Budget Shortfalls

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/03/dod-to-charge-admission-fee-for-installations-access-to-fix-budget-shortfalls/

"One of the most controversial elements is charging a daily admission fee of $10 for junior enlisted, $15 for NCOs, $20 for junior officers and Senior NCOs, and $25 for senior officers. Pentagon Office of Budgetary Analytical Logistics and Life Studies (BALLS) estimated the daily fees will raise $2.3 billion annually."

Would it surprise you? Wouldn't me, even though it was satire. They just cut tuition assistance to active duty airman today until at least the end of September.

It would not surprise me but essentially it would be a tax upon their ability to work.  In regards to Tuition assistance (TA) is it suspended or cut ?  I had heard it was suspended but being cut is something different.  My understanding is that TA is in freeze (suspended).   

http://www.dvidshub.net/video/283495/army-suspends-tuition-assistance#.UUCfijbD-M8

The Army has suspended the Tuition Assistance Program due to the current fiscal situation. The measure will not affect Soldiers currently enrolled in classes; however, no new applications will be accepted.

My bad on wording.  Suspended until the end of the fiscal year.  It did not sound promising for a return though.

I hope it does return for the sake of every single military member who wants to further their education.  Makes me want to puke every time I hear programs that help further a military members career being cut, suspended, etc...  All the while the politicians do not cut their own programs out.  They retire a whole lot sooner than someone in the military does and collect a significant amount more per year for their time in office.  I'd say cut their retirement and other benefits before cutting someone who makes a pittance compared to them and puts their lives at danger more often.

When I first came in, education was a big draw.  Now that that part MAY be gone, I wonder how they're going to sell it now...

Archived