For the atheists around here...

Guest CTBengalsFan

Guest CTBengalsFan
Just a warning, if you are a firm believer in Christianity, this thread MAY offend you.

But back to the topic at hand, do you think Christianity will ever die out? Like so many other religions before it? Just like people stopped believing that Zeus was the god of lightning, will people stop believing Jesus Christ is their saviour and will someday return to earth?

Personally, I think that the three major religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) are too widespread to ever die out. The problem is that most religious parents don't give their children a chance to choose whether or not they actually believe in the religion, so so many people grow up with their faith just because that's the way it always was. I always felt that I had been lucky that my mother never made me go to church or pushed her religion on me. It has definitely given me a more objective view of the world, because I do not simply take the bible to be fact, like so many out there do. It's interesting that in Connecticut not one of my friends believes in organized religion either. However, one of my friends went to University of South Carolina this past year, and she was surprised as to how dedicated to Christianity the other students were. I think the Bible Belt is still going strong and unfortunately, there is no end in sight for Christianity, because Christians still push their ideals on everyone, which is my major problem with it. I know this is odd because I'm a republican and a Bush supporter, but the republicans ties to Christianity have always been my biggest bone of contention with them.

Guest steggyD
Organized Christianity has only misinterpreted the Bible. Many translations of the Bible are way off. They mean well, they just don't know what the story is really about. Roman Catholics ruined the religion in my opinion. Before them, there were many European monks and such that practiced the religion the way it was meant to be practiced.

But, you're somewhat right. It will never die. It's not so much that it's pushed, some families do push it, but others just live it together, it's what they know. I knew many children that loved to go to church and such. I hated it, myself. And it's not like Christians go knocking on your door or anything, only those crazy Mormons. Judaism will never die, it's a race and a religion together. Even Hitler couldn't stop them, why would you want to? Islam, it won't die out either, too strong of a following. The good thing though, is that maybe a few hundred more years, the Islam religion will have calmed down a bit on some of its extremism. Gotta think, it's the youngest religion out there.

You forgot Hindus, and all of their clones. That's a major religion, and older than them all. That religion has never died out and never will. You know why there will always be religion? Because no matter how much we learn by science and technology, there will always be one unanswered question. Why? (as in why are we here, what is our purpose) This question is in the back of everyone's mind, so we try to find a purpose, some by religion, some by smoking pot, some by bashing rich white people for all their evils.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='Jul 8 2005, 10:06 PM']Just a warning, if you are a firm believer in Christianity, this thread MAY offend you.

But back to the topic at hand, do you think Christianity will ever die out?  Like so many other religions before it?  Just like people stopped believing that Zeus was the god of lightning, will people stop believing Jesus Christ is their saviour and will someday return to earth?

Personally, I think that the three major religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) are too widespread to ever die out.  The problem is that most religious parents don't give their children a chance to choose whether or not they actually believe in the religion, so so many people grow up with their faith just because that's the way it always was.  I always felt that I had been lucky that my mother never made me go to church or pushed her religion on me.  It has definitely given me a more objective view of the world, because I do not simply take the bible to be fact, like so many out there do.  It's interesting that in Connecticut not one of my friends believes in organized religion either.  However, one of my friends went to University of South Carolina this past year, and she was surprised as to how dedicated to Christianity the other students were.  I think the Bible Belt is still going strong and unfortunately, there is no end in sight for Christianity, because [b]Christians still push their ideals on everyone, which is my major problem with it. [/b] I know this is odd because I'm a republican and a Bush supporter, but the republicans ties to Christianity have always been my biggest bone of contention with them.
[right][post="112372"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I think in today's current media-driven climate in America, it is the other way around.
But whatever, you are free to believe as you choose, and I respect your right to do so.
Sure, bad things have been perpetrated on humanity in the name of Christianity...and Judaism...and Greek Gods...and Roman gods...
But the core belief of true Christianity (and let me clarify--I am NO good Bible-thumping Christian--I was raised Roman Catholic and found the services boring, but not without merit..and I do not go to Church anymore, and haven't in years...) is a simple, beautiful thing, yet SO hard to truly accomplish...love thy neighbor as thyself...
The point being that even bad people on this planet are capable of loving those close to them...it takes a greater person to show love to those that despise them. Or try to kill them, or whatever.
The other core belief system in Christianity that I find appealing is the manifestation of God as a human being, which isn't exactly an original story, but with Christianity, it is more refined and beautiful.
I can sum my feelings in a couple of favorite phrases, some biblical (I know, here we go again...but it IS a good book, but it must be interpreted correctly to be understood...do I believe Eve came from Adam's rib? No. Symbolism is huge in the Bible and the New Testament is rife with parables that are extremely interesting...to me, anyhoo...), some not:

"I'd rather spend my life praying to and believing in God only to die and find out there isn't one than spend my life not believing only to die and find out there is."

"Things that are not possible for man are possible for God"

"Who are we to dare to presume to know the mind of God?"

I know this makes no sense to an atheist, but, fwiw, there it is...

Guest BlackJesus
[i]"I don't pray because I don't want to bore God." [/i]
Orson Welles

[i]"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."[/i]
Emo Philips

[i]"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." [/i]
Dennis Wholey

Also, as a footnote that we can all agree on...people on this planet must get over the "I'll kill you if you don't believe as I do" bullshit. Christianity was guilty of that in the Middle Ages, and has come, for the most part, full-circle. Christians help more people on this planet than any other religion, be it monetary or otherwise, mostly out of a sheer desire to do so. How can that be bad? It isn't, provided that help doen't come with religious conversion strings attached.
Now if we can get the Muslims on board to the road towards tolerance...we'll be allright...

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jul 8 2005, 10:45 PM'][i]"I don't pray because I don't want to bore God." [/i]
Orson Welles
[i]"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."[/i]
Emo Philips

[i]"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." [/i]
Dennis Wholey

[right][post="112392"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Jul 9 2005, 12:40 AM']I think in today's current media-driven climate in America, it is the other way around.
But whatever, you are free to believe as you choose, and I respect your right to do so.
Sure, bad things have been perpetrated on humanity in the name of Christianity...and Judaism...and Greek Gods...and Roman gods...
But the core belief of true Christianity (and let me clarify--I am NO good Bible-thumping Christian--I was raised Roman Catholic and found the services boring, but not without merit..and I do not go to Church anymore, and haven't in years...) is a simple, beautiful thing, yet SO hard to truly accomplish...love thy neighbor as thyself...
The point being that even bad people on this planet are capable of loving those close to them...it takes a greater person to show love to those that despise them.  Or try to kill them, or whatever.
The other core belief system in Christianity that I find appealing is the manifestation of God as a human being, which isn't exactly an original story, but with Christianity, it is more refined and beautiful.
I can sum my feelings in a couple of favorite phrases, some biblical (I know, here we go again...but it IS a good book, but it must be interpreted correctly to be understood...do I believe Eve came from Adam's rib? No.  Symbolism is huge in the Bible and the New Testament is rife with parables that are extremely interesting...to me, anyhoo...), some not:

[right][post="112387"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well said.

[quote]"Things that are not possible for man are possible for God"[/quote]

My personal favorite verse there Bung.

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jul 8 2005, 11:45 PM'][i]"I don't pray because I don't want to bore God." [/i]
Orson Welles
Emo Philips
Dennis Wholey

[right][post="112392"][/post][/right][/quote]

Awesome quotes! :D :D :D

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jul 8 2005, 10:47 PM']Well said.
My personal favorite verse there Bung.

[b]Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."[/b]
[right][post="112397"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
The validation for this quote to me personally comes from the night sky, as I stare at it and contemplate it's sheer vastness, it's mystery, it's potential for other life, the way stars work, the distances involved to other stars, etc...
No matter how great we might think we are with our science, I can guarantee you that the mysteries of the Universe can never be solved. Fuck, we can't even get a man on Mars, which is really close by comparison!

Guest BlackJesus
[i][color="red"]"With or without religion you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."[/color][/i]

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jul 8 2005, 10:53 PM'][i][color="red"]"With or without religion you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."[/color][/i]
[right][post="112403"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Religion is man-made, so therefore flawed by nature. But none uf us is perfect.
I simply find it hard to believe that atheists can possibly not believe in some kind of a Divine Force behind our lives. Astronomers that study star formation have even admitted as much, that there is some kind of a "divine spark" that initiates the nuclear fusion of hydrogen that powers stars in their inner core...
There's just way too many modern miracles, deja-vu's, dreams and coincidences, coupled with every aspect I've already detailed about the cosmos for a God not to exist...
How in the fuck does a certain-sized star provide [i]just[/i] the right amount of life for a certain-sized, certain-atmosperic condition planet that is perfectly positioned a certain distance from said star?
This is where evolution loses me. Sure, I believe in evolution and I believe in a God. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive. In fact, in my view, one reinforces the other. But, the conditions for life to begin had to be put in place by something or someone. It didn't just happen on it's own.

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jul 9 2005, 12:53 AM'][i][color="red"]"With or without religion you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."[/color][/i]
[right][post="112403"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

What about for evil people to do good? A cold heart can not melt, and a person can not change? The Good person is always the good person because thats who he is and the evil always evil for the same reason?

Sorry Ive seen people change, both good and evil, to buy that line of reasoning.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Jul 8 2005, 11:00 PM']Religion is man-made, so therefore flawed by nature.  But none uf us is perfect.
I simply find it hard to believe that atheists can possibly not believe in some kind of a Divine Force behind our lives.  Astronomers that study star formation have even admitted as much, that there is some kind of a "divine spark" that initiates the nuclear fusion of hydrogen that powers stars in their inner core...
There's just way too many modern miracles, deja-vu's, dreams and coincidences, coupled with every aspect I've already detailed about the cosmos for a God not to exist...
How in the fuck does a certain-sized star provide [i]just[/i] the right amount of life for a certain-sized, certain-atmosperic condition planet that is perfectly positioned a certain distance from said star?
This is where evolution loses me.  Sure, I believe in evolution and I believe in a God.  The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.  In fact, in my view, one reinforces the other.  But, the conditions for life to begin had to be put in place by something or someone.  It didn't just happen on it's own.
[right][post="112406"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I want a reply to this.

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]I want a reply to this.[/quote]

[i][b]I personally can't respond because I am not an Athiest

I am Agnostic. I am not sure if there is a God, Gods, entity, etc.

I believe that there could be a multi layered governing dynamic /s that does somehow oversee existence. It is certainly not a retarded simplistic entity concerned with penis foreskin, eating pork, women popping out of ribs, and only talking to Males and visiting only about 3 countries in the whole planet. I like my Gods Bi lingual.... the One in the bible apparently only knows aramaic, greek, and hebrew. I also like my god well traveled... the one in the bible never even bothered to travel across the Atlantic.... unless you believe Cooky ass Mormons who say Jesus went to South America. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img] [/b][/i]

[color="green"][i][b]I also wonder about stars, the sun etc.... I just don't get the thousands of year old sexist, racist, irrational ideas as my answer. [/b][/i][/color]

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jul 8 2005, 11:09 PM'][i][b]I personally can't respond because I am not an Athiest

I am Agnostic.  I am not sure if there is a God, Gods, entity, etc.

I believe that there could be a multi layered governing dynamic /s that does somehow oversee existence.  It is certainly not a retarded simplistic entity concerned with penis foreskin, eating pork, women popping out of ribs, and only talking to Males and visiting only about 3 countries in the whole planet.  I like my Gods Bi lingual.... the One in the bible apparently only knows aramaic, greek, and hebrew.  I also like my god well traveled... the one in the bible never even bothered to travel across the Atlantic.... unless you believe Cooky ass Mormons who say Jesus went to South America.  [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img] [/b][/i]
[right][post="112414"][/post][/right][/quote]
That I can agree with. See? It wasn't so hard!
:D

Guest steggyD
On the note of a multi-layered governing dynamic, much of the Bible even speaks of this. It is only mistranslated in our current version of the Bible. There were many versions of god. There was mention of elohim, which is the mighty ones. Of course, many Jewish and Christian based foundations will tell you that it actually means a singular version, but I doubt that. Not that I believe in every part of the Bible and follow it, but it does contain some clues and hints to the overall meaning and history of mankind and spirituality.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Jul 9 2005, 01:31 AM']I'm getting tired of you guys throwing your anti christian views around every chance you get on this board.
[right][post="112442"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Hmm one side gets tired of Christian views, the other gets tired of Anti-Christian views. Steggy you couldnt have been more right.

BTW, this has sooo been the last 10+ years of my life with the people I have been surrounded by, so I understand the argument each makes, I just happen to have chose my side in it.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Jul 8 2005, 11:31 PM']I'm getting tired of you guys throwing your anti christian views around every chance you get on this board.
[right][post="112442"][/post][/right][/quote]
I am too but it is their right...now before you go off on me about how I make fun of your boy Shitna at every chance because of Christianity...
It's because a) He sucks and B) He annoys me with his God quotes about everything. I am all for belief in God, yet I somehow have instant resentment for pro atheletes invoking it because most of them don't really mean it.
And furthermore, I have more respect for God than to believe he gives a shit about a fucking football game played by uber-rich egomaniacal roid monsters that perpetrate violence upon one another.
But I am not God and I LOVE me some violent football...it is our modern version of the Roman Coliseum.
I mean, a guy like Deion rolls up with an entourage of black Hummvees and he steps out of his limo dressed like a rapper and immediately starts thanking God?
There's something in the Bible about true believers praying in a manner that isn't obvious or overt as to attract attention to themselves...

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jul 9 2005, 12:37 AM']Hmm one side gets tired of Christian views, the other gets tired of Anti-Christian views. Steggy you couldnt have been more right.

BTW, this has sooo been the last 10+ years of my life with the people I have been surrounded by, so I understand the argument each makes, I just happen to have chose my side in it.
[right][post="112449"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'm just talking about on this board in particular. It's pretty rediculous.

I don't care if you beleive or not, just shut the hell up about it for a day or so.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Jul 9 2005, 01:43 AM']I'm just talking about on this board in particular. It's pretty rediculous.

I don't care if you beleive or not, just shut the hell up about it for a day or so.
[right][post="112455"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I do believe for the record. But you do realize you choose to come into a thread entitled "For the atheists around here..., will Christianity ever die out?" ?

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img]

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jul 9 2005, 12:45 AM']I do believe for the record. But you do realize you choose to come into a thread entitled "For the atheists around here..., will Christianity ever die out?" ?

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img]
[right][post="112459"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

So I guess I'm the only one that notices it going on in the football related forums of this board as well? I have never seen one of us "beleivers" throwing in our pro-christian views when talking about the team.

How many pro-christian threads have you seen in general? Zero, maybe 1? And yet the anti christians complain about us forcing it on them? Give me a break!

Archived