1,000 Univ. of Dayton students riot

Go Skins

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/ud-students-out-of-control-police-in-riot-gear/nWtgt/

University of Dayton administrators will meet this week to evaluate a riot involving more than 1,000 people causing police from 10 jurisdictions to respond to the student campus housing area also known as the UD ghetto early Sunday morning.

After more than two decades without a major St. Patrick’s Day incident, the university had a violent “disturbance” that left broken beer bottles and 11 damaged cars, including a police cruiser, on Kiefaber Street, according to a university official.

“We would describe what happened as a disturbance, said Andy Booher, a lieutenant with the Dayton Police Department. “It was quickly contained because of the response by University police and other jurisdictions.”

News Center 7 crews on the scene reported students jumping on top of cars, throwing glass beer bottles into the street and yelling at police officers.

The university has had a series of major disturbances on or around St. Patrick’s Day as early as the late 1980s prompting the school to schedule spring break to include March 17 in 1993, according previous Dayton Daily News reports. UD later experimented with the spring break schedule to include the Easter holiday, Teri Rizvi, a University of Dayton spokeswoman said on Sunday.

“It was really for the convenience for families,” Rizvi said.

The school also wanted to accommodate students who had to travel during the holiday, she added.

She is unsure when the school resumed holding classes around St. Patrick’s Day.

I feel like the word riot should be reserved for political action.

These were drunken idiots.

Did you skip a word?  :onoudidnt:

Sometimes, I wonder if most of what I post can come across as political, eventually. 

Archived