The Mock!

The reason I have them taking one this high is I think it was evident last year that Center was a major problem on the offense...

Jeff Faine plays... offense struggles.

Trevor Robinson plays... offense plays better.

Kyle Cook comes back... offense struggles.

The problem at the position was never more evident than the Eagles game when they were stunting the hell out of us and the C continually failed to pick it up.

I wouldnt be disappointed if we took Barrett Jones with our 2nd 2nd round pick.  Versatile as hell on the O Line

and apparently excelled at each spot (RG, LT, and C).

Here's some stuff off his wiki page.

Started all 14 games for Alabama's 2009 national championship team at right guard. He subsequently earned Freshman All-America honors from College Football News and Phil Steele.[2]

In his junior season, because of team needs, he switched from guard to left tackle where he started all 13 games for another Alabama national championship team. Following his 2011 junior season, he was a first-team All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) selection, and was recognized as a unanimous first-team All-American. He was the winner of the 2011 Outland Trophy given to the best lineman in college football. In his senior year, again because of team needs, he switched from tackle to center. He started every game at center for the team that won another National Championship in 2012. He did not receive a second Outland Trophy but won the Rimington Trophy given each year to the outstanding college center becoming only the 2nd person in history to win both an Outland and a Rimington. He is the only person to win an Outland and a Remington at two different positions or in two different years. Barrett Jones ended his Alabama career winning 3 BCS National Championships—each Championship at a different position—as an All American guard, an All American left tackle and an All American center.

I wouldnt be disappointed if we took Barrett Jones with our 2nd 2nd round pick.  Versatile as hell on the O Line

and apparently excelled at each spot (RG, LT, and C).

Here's some stuff off his wiki page.

Started all 14 games for Alabama's 2009 national championship team at right guard. He subsequently earned Freshman All-America honors from College Football News and Phil Steele.[2]

In his junior season, because of team needs, he switched from guard to left tackle where he started all 13 games for another Alabama national championship team. Following his 2011 junior season, he was a first-team All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) selection, and was recognized as a unanimous first-team All-American. He was the winner of the 2011 Outland Trophy given to the best lineman in college football. In his senior year, again because of team needs, he switched from tackle to center. He started every game at center for the team that won another National Championship in 2012. He did not receive a second Outland Trophy but won the Rimington Trophy given each year to the outstanding college center becoming only the 2nd person in history to win both an Outland and a Rimington. He is the only person to win an Outland and a Remington at two different positions or in two different years. Barrett Jones ended his Alabama career winning 3 BCS National Championships—each Championship at a different position—as an All American guard, an All American left tackle and an All American center.

Yep, that's some serious versatility - and pedigree.

The reason I have them taking one this high is I think it was evident last year that Center was a major problem on the offense...

Jeff Faine plays... offense struggles.
Trevor Robinson plays... offense plays better.
Kyle Cook comes back... offense struggles.

The problem at the position was never more evident than the Eagles game when they were stunting the hell out of us and the C continually failed to pick it up.

The issue in the Eagles game was Boling, who gave up 3 of the six sacks, and was also playing with the flu. 2 others were on Andre. The sixt was a sack on Dalton holding the all too long (the play Hawkins was wide open in the endzone).

The issue in the Eagles game was Boling, who gave up 3 of the six sacks, and was also playing with the flu. 2 others were on Andre. The sixt was a sack on Dalton holding the all too long (the play Hawkins was wide open in the endzone).

Can't find footage but I specifically remember one Eagles DL run right past cook while he doubled to the left...

I am pretty sure it is mostly on the C to identify and call out stunts...

What i do know for sure is the offense sucked other then when Robinson was in....

Can't find footage but I specifically remember one Eagles DL run right past cook while he doubled to the left...

I am pretty sure it is mostly on the C to identify and call out stunts...

What i do know for sure is the offense sucked other then when Robinson was in....

if you like Robinson, why draft Jones?  Coaches have said it will be an open competition, so it would seem he'll have a chance to win the job.

I'm actually not opposed to taking a versatile guy like Jones, but I think they'd wait until the 3rd or 4th.  He reminds me of Boling, who was a 4th rounder and can also play all the spots.

Archived