Brian Urlacher Released. Interested?

For what it is worth, he wasn't released. He has been a free agent for a week and a half just like everyone else.

It just came out in the last few days that negotiations for a possible resigning in Chicago have broken off as Chicago wouldn't budge from their $2M one year offer.

I'd bring him in for a visit (can't think of anyone I wouldn't), but it would have to depend on his health and price.

If he's healthy enough to be a quality starter I'd give him a $2M deal with lots of incentives.

Don't see the Bengals doing it though.  They're on a "stay young" kick and he's what, 34?

I'd bring him in for a visit (can't think of anyone I wouldn't), but it would have to depend on his health and price.

If he's healthy enough to be a quality starter I'd give him a $2M deal with lots of incentives.

Don't see the Bengals doing it though.  They're on a "stay young" kick and he's what, 34?

Caught part of sports talk on the radio last night and this was the balloon being floated by whichever talking head was blathering at that moment.

He said $2 mil was what Ul turned down in Chicago.  He wanted $11 mil plus per year.

But all that is and has been said on here, pro and con, was bounced around on the air.  Specifically bringing him in with a chip on his shoulder and a role model for Burficit and Maualuga and as a vocal vet on the D.  Said, assuming he is healthy and still had "some gas in the tank" be could do well behind our killer D line.  Compared him to Dhani Jones who was nearing the end of the career line when he came here and the stability he brought to the D.  

Dunno... I'm not and cold on it.  But don't think it will happen, like so much discussed around here, so a moot point.

Caught part of sports talk on the radio last night and this was the balloon being floated by whichever talking head was blathering at that moment.

He said $2 mil was what Ul turned down in Chicago.  He wanted $11 mil plus per year.

But all that is and has been said on here, pro and con, was bounced around on the air.  Specifically bringing him in with a chip on his shoulder and a role model for Burficit and Maualuga and as a vocal vet on the D.  Said, assuming he is healthy and still had "some gas in the tank" be could do well behind our killer D line.  Compared him to Dhani Jones who was nearing the end of the career line when he came here and the stability he brought to the D.  

Dunno... I'm not and cold on it.  But don't think it will happen, like so much discussed around here, so a moot point.

not quite.  The starting point for Urlacher and his agent was 2yrs/$11.5M, so $5.75M/yr.  Urlacher on the DP show said that was just there starting point, not what he ultimately wanted.

I'd be against it.  The best way for Burfict to learn is to actually play MLB.  Bringing Urlacher in for even just a year is a year less of "on the field, playing the position" learning for Burfict.  If we're really moving him to MLB, let him start there and bring in a veteran backup that knows he's a backup.  

Urlacher's game was based on speed, speed that he doesnt have anymore. While I think there is something to what he could bring from a mentoring aspect I dont know that I would want him to start, and I dont know that he would want to be a backup.

Urlacher's game was based on speed, speed that he doesnt have anymore. While I think there is something to what he could bring from a mentoring aspect I dont know that I would want him to start, and I dont know that he would want to be a backup.

I work with a bunch of Bears fans and this is what they have said as well... 

Urlacher was asking the Bears for 3.5m/yr and they wouldn't budge on their 2m/yr offer.  He's not asking for 11m at all......

I'd rather have Urlacher than Maualuga.  Even if Urlacher's joints creek when he moves. 

53 tackles in 12 games?  that's about a third as many as crummy old RayM.

No way on Urlacher. As a poster said above, Burfict needs to be inserted in the MLB slot, Howard should be back and they've already re-signed Rey to play somewhere....Urlacher is not his former self and is old, injury prone and slow, not a solution we need at MLB, 

Archived