Gay NFL player to come out within the next few months ...

Numbers

Not like we all couldn't tell what an asshole you were from your football comments, but is impressive how these things (close-mindedness, ignorance, plain stupidity) seem to pervade all areas of a person once they are infected.

So you don't care what two men do in private, and yet you somehow feel harmed by them getting married.  Your notion that -

"Homosexuals have exactly he same rights to participate in marriage as anyone else. Same rules apply and same restrictions."

- is virtually too idiotic to respond to.  What then, are we all fighting about?  Ohhhhhh. They don't actually have the same rights, do they?  Or, is what you are trying to say is that homosexuals have exactly the same right to marry heterosexuals as do heterosexuals?  Because that would be so stupid (and of course, funny; and sad) that I could see it being your point. 

I'm a pretty liberal fellow, though I'm frustrated by all manner of politics because we've denied a place for people to have beliefs that aren't categorically part of this side or that side.  For instance, I do think the culture of violence in movies, games, TV, etc. needs to be a part of the gun debate.  I also think that "family values" are a good thing, and anything we can do to keep families together makes us a better society, and a better culture.  Most conservatives believe that too.  Why then, would you deny two people who want to commit themselves to each other, and to the concept of "family" (yes, and possibly raising children)? I mean, you don't care what they do in the bedroom, right?

People like you generally believe what they want to, but if you're at all interested in challenging yourself, I thought you might want to read this Op-Ed by conservative columnist David Brooks:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/opinion/brooks-freedom-loses-one.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

What the world needs now, is love, sweet love.  Maybe even you could use a little, Hayden.

And, Tigris, I want to officially apologize for lumping you in with this guy.  You may be a little backward, but at least you're a human being.

I don't need to "challenge" myself by reading some columnist. I have heard every supposed argument there is to be made for same gender marriage. All the arguments are ridiculous.

And homosexuals are not discriminated against. You claim that they only have the right to marry heterosexuals. That is utterly false. When you ge a marriage license, they do not ask you if you are heterosexual or homosexual. Two homosexual people can get married if they want. Nothing stopping them.

People who favor same gender marriages basically have lost all capacity to think critically or logically, probably due to about thirty years of watching Oprah. They talk about things like love or sexual attraction, which have never been the criteria for marriage. Like I said, the government has never asked people if they are in love or sexually attracted to someone before issuing a marriage license.

Also, the idea that it should be legal because it doesn't hurt anyone else's marriage is bogus. Again, that has never been the criteria for marriage.

I also think incestuous marriages should be illegal. I suppose it's just a matter of time before you're calling me a bigot for that as well. I would have a lot more respect for people intellectually if people who support same gender marriages would just come out in favor of getting rid of other restrictions on marriage as well. A least then they wouldn't be hypocritical.

the comparison between interracial marriage and same sex marriage is pointing out that many things used to be ignorant laws that were not for the good of the people. They are not comparing the two marriages.

historic intolerance is the point. burning people thought to be witches, slaves, segregation, womens rights, same sex marriage, etc. 

its all the same pile of horse shit. 

Incestuous marriages, group marriages, etc... Those people face even more intolerance than same gender marriage people.

Wow.  So obviously a lot of real goodies to comment on in here.

I don't need to "challenge" myself by reading some columnist. I have heard every supposed argument there is to be made for same gender marriage. All the arguments are ridiculous.

You are so sure of what you'll read - or even that you're going to encounter an argument - that you avoid said argument.  This guy isn't arguing in favor of or against gay marriage, but making an entirely different observation.  But then you'll never know what that is, will you, because you've decided that you know everything.  Not that you care, but this is the definition of willful ignorance and denial.  For some, I suppose it is bliss...

And homosexuals are not discriminated against. You claim that they only have the right to marry heterosexuals.

Huh?  I mean, what-the-fucking huh? The first point is just plainly stupid, but the second one is not even comprehensible.  You'll have to explain.  I'm suspecting that, among the many things to which you are numb, is irony.  I was pointing out that, according to your logic, homosexuals can only marry heterosexuals legally.  But either you didn't get that OR:

That is utterly false. When you ge a marriage license, they do not ask you if you are heterosexual or homosexual. Two homosexual people can get married if they want. Nothing stopping them.

Yep, you're just a deeply challenged individual.

They don't ask you if you are heterosexual or homosexual.  I had to pick myself up of the floor after that one.  Shit, that was a good laugh man.  I'm starting to hope you are a troll because I just feel so sorry for you other wise.  So let me ask, two people go to get a marriage license for themselves.  One's a guy and the other is a... 

Oh.  There's the problem, isn't it?  If the guy is with a woman, then he's  marrying someone of the opposite sex.  That's a heterosexual marriage.  You know, the kind you like where consummation occurs when his penis (he's a man) enters her vagina (she's a woman).  Of course, for the moment we'll leave out the question of transgender and all of that, mostly because I don't want to confuse you any further.  OK, so we established what happens in a heterosexual marriage.  Now what are the other options.  We've got two.  A guy could walk in with another guy.  Or a woman could walk in with another woman.  Those last two, for your reference, are the SAME SEX.  As in SAME SEX marriage.  As in GAY.  HOMOSEXUAL.

And right now, in 41 states in this country, they would be trying to do something which they are not legally allowed to do.  They can't get married.  What' stopping them?  Well, first is the laws of their states.  Second is the person who is granting them a marriage license, who can see plain is day that they are looking at two people of the same sex. A same sex marriage.   A gay marriage.  What sort of parallel universe logic are you operating under to determine that they can get married?  Seriously.

People who favor same gender marriages basically have lost all capacity to think critically or logically, probably due to about thirty years of watching Oprah. They talk about things like love or sexual attraction, which have never been the criteria for marriage. Like I said, the government has never asked people if they are in love or sexually attracted to someone before issuing a marriage license.

Who ever said anything about love or attraction?  In fact, I'd argue that love and sexual attraction are two of the lesser important elements in marriage, but that commitment is paramount.  And that's what this whole argument is about.  People being allowed to contractually commit to each other in the same way, without discrimination based on their sexual orientation if they so choose.  The article you so blithely ignored actually touches on this aspect.  I'm sure you've already seen, or you will find as your life progresses, that very few doors open up for you, and I hope for you sake that you someday make the connection between that sad reality and your choice to keep your head in the sand.

Wow.  So obviously a lot of real goodies to comment on in here.

You are so sure of what you'll read - or even that you're going to encounter an argument - that you avoid said argument.  This guy isn't arguing in favor of or against gay marriage, but making an entirely different observation.  But then you'll never know what that is, will you, because you've decided that you know everything.  Not that you care, but this is the definition of willful ignorance and denial.  For some, I suppose it is bliss...

Huh?  I mean, what-the-fucking huh? The first point is just plainly stupid, but the second one is not even comprehensible.  You'll have to explain.  I'm suspecting that, among the many things to which you are numb, is irony.  I was pointing out that, according to your logic, homosexuals can only marry heterosexuals legally.  But either you didn't get that OR:

Yep, you're just a deeply challenged individual.

They don't ask you if you are heterosexual or homosexual.  I had to pick myself up of the floor after that one.  Shit, that was a good laugh man.  I'm starting to hope you are a troll because I just feel so sorry for you other wise.  So let me ask, two people go to get a marriage license for themselves.  One's a guy and the other is a... 

Oh.  There's the problem, isn't it?  If the guy is with a woman, then he's  marrying someone of the opposite sex.  That's a heterosexual marriage.  You know, the kind you like where consummation occurs when his penis (he's a man) enters her vagina (she's a woman).  Of course, for the moment we'll leave out the question of transgender and all of that, mostly because I don't want to confuse you any further.  OK, so we established what happens in a heterosexual marriage.  Now what are the other options.  We've got two.  A guy could walk in with another guy.  Or a woman could walk in with another woman.  Those last two, for your reference, are the SAME SEX.  As in SAME SEX marriage.  As in GAY.  HOMOSEXUAL.

And right now, in 41 states in this country, they would be trying to do something which they are not legally allowed to do.  They can't get married.  What' stopping them?  Well, first is the laws of their states.  Second is the person who is granting them a marriage license, who can see plain is day that they are looking at two people of the same sex. A same sex marriage.   A gay marriage.  What sort of parallel universe logic are you operating under to determine that they can get married?  Seriously.

Who ever said anything about love or attraction?  In fact, I'd argue that love and sexual attraction are two of the lesser important elements in marriage, but that commitment is paramount.  And that's what this whole argument is about.  People being allowed to contractually commit to each other in the same way, without discrimination based on their sexual orientation if they so choose.  The article you so blithely ignored actually touches on this aspect.  I'm sure you've already seen, or you will find as your life progresses, that very few doors open up for you, and I hope for you sake that you someday make the connection between that sad reality and your choice to keep your head in the sand.

You really have lost your mind and all ability to think critically. All I can gather from you post is that you think people who don't find he idea of marriage appealing are being discriminated against.

And I don't know what you are talking about with doors opening up to me.

What exactly do you think the restrictions should be on marriage?

HaydenM, what is it about gay marriage that you find so threatening? Please don't cite the tired "slippery slope into marrying goats" argument.

Who said anything about threatening? Why would I be threatened by it?

I don't think it should be legal for a brother and sister to get married. Doesn't mean it threatens me somehow.

Just don't see any reason for the government involve itself in a relationship between two people of the same gender.

What is it that is so vital to society about a relationship between two people of the same gender that you think the government should take the extraordinary step of sanctioning and being involved in their relationship?

The government typically take a hands off approach to almost every other type of relationship.

Not like we all couldn't tell what an asshole you were from your football comments, but is impressive how these things (close-mindedness, ignorance, plain stupidity) seem to pervade all areas of a person once they are infected.

So you don't care what two men do in private, and yet you somehow feel harmed by them getting married.  Your notion that -

"Homosexuals have exactly he same rights to participate in marriage as anyone else. Same rules apply and same restrictions."

- is virtually too idiotic to respond to.  What then, are we all fighting about?  Ohhhhhh. They don't actually have the same rights, do they?  Or, is what you are trying to say is that homosexuals have exactly the same right to marry heterosexuals as do heterosexuals?  Because that would be so stupid (and of course, funny; and sad) that I could see it being your point. 

I'm a pretty liberal fellow, though I'm frustrated by all manner of politics because we've denied a place for people to have beliefs that aren't categorically part of this side or that side.  For instance, I do think the culture of violence in movies, games, TV, etc. needs to be a part of the gun debate.  I also think that "family values" are a good thing, and anything we can do to keep families together makes us a better society, and a better culture.  Most conservatives believe that too.  Why then, would you deny two people who want to commit themselves to each other, and to the concept of "family" (yes, and possibly raising children)? I mean, you don't care what they do in the bedroom, right?

People like you generally believe what they want to, but if you're at all interested in challenging yourself, I thought you might want to read this Op-Ed by conservative columnist David Brooks:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/opinion/brooks-freedom-loses-one.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

What the world needs now, is love, sweet love.  Maybe even you could use a little, Hayden.

And, Tigris, I want to officially apologize for lumping you in with this guy.  You may be a little backward, but at least you're a human being.

No matter what I do or say on here, it will never top your rant about how great your life is and how you're better than someone else, your accomplishments, whatever. It was worse than Go's rant about the scum that lives around Cincinnati but then going on about what he thought was judgment of a gay man. I can be known for a lot of things on here, but at least I didn't spout off how I can afford expensive red wine and tropical sunrises in some land most of us can't even pronounce. I mean, you're opening an orphanage in some distant land. Come on dude... it's cool that you're doing that and I applaud you but to post it on here when someone told you to "get a life", and the way you posted it, it tells me a lot about you too.

I guess all of us are a little backward in our own way.

I can vouch for Tigris....he's a cool dude and I'm brown so obviously he's not prejudice.  Got nothing but respect for you bro......I think what some are mistaking is that Tigris seems to be "thinking out loud" in this thread and is completely honest with himself in his words.  Didn't come across as innocent as I think his intentions are/were but I would cut him slack.  We all have journeys to "enlightenment" and some of us proceed at a faster pace than others.....I guess what I'm trying to say is, Tigris is my homeboy. 

But yeah.....Hayden is a straight douchebag. 

I appreciate this, Amir.

Anti-gay marriage folks say if you let 2 people of the same sex get married, "what's next? Letting people get married to goats????"

Thanks.

My great uncle is married (be my dad's uncle, my grandma's brother). I think they went to ME to do it. Normally it wouldn't mean anything here but he's married to another man. Two of the nicest people I've ever known. Joe and George.

I don't give a shit if gay dudes want to get married.  WIth a few noted exceptions, most of them are young, attractive, and fastidious - threats not to be taken lightly when old, fat, and sloppy guys like me are on the prowl for attractive ladies.  The more of those guys who pair up and take themselves out of the game, the more likely (even if only slightly) that the hot women will get desperate enough to want to settle for someone like me.

So the the gay guys, I say, "Smoke 'em if you got 'em!"

My wife had a pretty decent idea.  Marriage is a traditional thing, not a government thing.  Eliminate all marriage at the government level.  Just change it to where you can designate one partner who would essentially be "married" to you for taxation/custody purposes.  

To me, that's the hang up.  Make it fair for anyone who wants to legally form a partnership with someone else.   One partner.  

If you do this, then marriage is just ceremonial, as it should be.  You can get "married" all you want.  Marry your toaster, marry a dude, marry 10 chicks, marry your mom... etc.  You only get to designate one as your partner for government purposes though.  

My wife had a pretty decent idea.  Marriage is a traditional thing, not a government thing.  Eliminate all marriage at the government level.  Just change it to where you can designate one partner who would essentially be "married" to you for taxation/custody purposes.  

To me, that's the hang up.  Make it fair for anyone who wants to legally form a partnership with someone else.   One partner.  

If you do this, then marriage is just ceremonial, as it should be.  You can get "married" all you want.  Marry your toaster, marry a dude, marry 10 chicks, marry your mom... etc.  You only get to designate one as your partner for government purposes though.  

That's actually the best idea she's ever come up with... 

I believe what is in the human race best intrest! Who I ask is me so that is what I believe...also if homosexuals play football another 10 years girls will be allowed to play too...you give an inch people take a yard!

I believe what is in the human race best intrest! Who I ask is me so that is what I believe...also if homosexuals play football another 10 years girls will be allowed to play too...you give an inch people take a yard!

Seems it would be in the best interest of the human race if you didn't procreate... 

Archived