Help Out a Non-Geek

My 16g Nano just didn't have enough capacity for my music so my choices at Best Buy were the 32g Touch with all the bells and whistles or an over sized 64g nano looking thing. I went with the bells and whistles and got the Touch.

It's pretty cool, holds all 200 of my cd's with plenty of room to spare. It has a stop watch function for when I run and that's all I've used it for so far.

What else can I do with this thing? It seems like I should be able to send emails or some kind of messages through it but I haven't figured it out yet. Thanks.

Pretty sure that should have both wifi and bluetooth.  One of the iCultists on here should be able to help you get it configured but there are probably tutorials for it all over the internet.  Or check the manual, it should be relatively painless depending on how you have your home wifi set up.

it will do anything an iphone or ipad will do essentially.. in the settings under email you can add accounts, it has safari web browser to browse, you can add any app in the app store for it, so you can watch netflix, hulu, youtube, etc...

just need to be connected to wifi.

i have my ipod hooked up to my car radio via some iSimple integration thing so i can control it from the radio, so i dont really like bringing it inside and so on, so i have it setup to connect to my home wifi, so when i park the car, and come inside, if i download more music, itunes is set to auto-sync via wifi, so it ads the music to my ipod in my car wirelessly o i dont even have to hard sync it....

if you have any other iDevices it will sync any contacts, calender, etc you have on the cloud...

i used my ipod touch for games and stuff at work when i had a blackberry and android phone, i hate ads in apps, they completely ruin the experience for me. and often, apple has a purchase and an ads based free version of everything, so i could buy words with friends for $.99 and not have to see shitty ads every time i played a word... but when i got an iphone i stopped using the ipod for that kinda stuff...

it will do anything an iphone or ipad will do essentially.. in the settings under email you can add accounts, it has safari web browser to browse, you can add any app in the app store for it, so you can watch netflix, hulu, youtube, etc...

just need to be connected to wifi.

i have my ipod hooked up to my car radio via some iSimple integration thing so i can control it from the radio, so i dont really like bringing it inside and so on, so i have it setup to connect to my home wifi, so when i park the car, and come inside, if i download more music, itunes is set to auto-sync via wifi, so it ads the music to my ipod in my car wirelessly o i dont even have to hard sync it....

if you have any other iDevices it will sync any contacts, calender, etc you have on the cloud...

Holy Cow - are you serious? I never listen to the radio in the car anymore, mainstream radio sucks so bad, and the cd player in my car is starting to go bad. This is the absolute very best solution for me. I need to look into this. Thanks.

http://www.isimplesolutions.com/iphone-ipod-integration-GateWay.aspx

thats the one i have, well thats the newer version of what i have... i had to take off the storage bin door in my accord, and plug that box into the back of the honda deck, then drilled a hole in the storage thing to plug in the ipod cable so it looked seemless. so you dont see the ipod anywhere... and i can scroll through select, skip everthing from my steering wheel and it displays the ipod on the cd player screen..

looks like they are close to $190+ these days... but amazon may have them cheaper, especially a used one...

they have a car selector so its possible you dont need that hefty of a device..

but just depends on the car... i have an '04 accord.

http://www.isimplesolutions.com/iphone-ipod-integration-GateWay.aspx

thats the one i have, well thats the newer version of what i have... i had to take off the storage bin door in my accord, and plug that box into the back of the honda deck, then drilled a hole in the storage thing to plug in the ipod cable so it looked seemless. so you dont see the ipod anywhere... and i can scroll through select, skip everthing from my steering wheel and it displays the ipod on the cd player screen..

looks like they are close to $190+ these days... but amazon may have them cheaper, especially a used one...

they have a car selector so its possible you dont need that hefty of a device..

but just depends on the car... i have an '04 accord.

Thanks for the link, that's a giant help...

Interesting. I can use my iPhone via bluetooth through my navigation system but it doesn't bluetooth the iPod part of it. I wonder if there is a workaround on that somewhere?

MULLY

iirc you bought a honda mini suv type car, my wifes is the same, phone via BT but her ipod goes through the usb plug in the storage console thing.

i like that as its so sunny here if the ipod were visible it would melt, so always plugged in, tucked away works great for us both,..

since the nav screen wants to show album artwork and all that in a quick fashion, im not sure bluetooth would be able to keep up with album artwork and everything as you scroll, thus requiring the hardwire plugin..

though im sure there is an even better explanation for their reasoning.. perhaps to eliminate confusing of wanting to do both through bluetooth at the same time(people using ipods seperate from music on the iphone, etc)

who knows..

OK - so as a follow-up, I bought an aftermarket radio with a USB port and ipod support. Sounds great. I leave the old Nano hooked up and in the car permanently. I carry the Touch with me to and from work and listen to it through my computer speakers during the day. 

I'm still thinking there are cooler things I could be doing with the Touch though. I should let my kids mess with it...

OK - so as a follow-up, I bought an aftermarket radio with a USB port and ipod support. Sounds great. I leave the old Nano hooked up and in the car permanently. I carry the Touch with me to and from work and listen to it through my computer speakers during the day. 

I'm still thinking there are cooler things I could be doing with the Touch though. I should let my kids mess with it...

after that it all comes down to apps and stuff... if you have dish you can watch tv, if you have sunday ticket you can watch games, nfl app, bengals app, espn app for watching sports, pandora, slacker, etc radio for alternate music source..

etc

Archived